Sign in to follow this  
spankinew

xcon 1.5 per voice coil question

I was just wondering why my 15in xcon coils were reading 1.5 when there a dual 2. i checked the reading at the amp and it said it was at .7 ohms. also when playing music my ohm rise jumps all over the place. it goes from .7 to 6 or 7 ohms.

my main concen is that i wanted to buy another dual 2 xcon and i dont want one reading 1.5 and the other 2.

also if these xcons come as 1.5 then id be running at .38 ohms which i feel is way to low.

systems build: 15 inch xcon in 3.2 cu box tuned to 30hz. sundown saz-1500, xs power d3100

any advice?

1.5 and 1.5 get you to 0.7 on the amp.

Impedance rise seems to come from the box.

I'm no expert at all, so let some others tell you what they think. :)

...........edit: answer already posted

edit again: should have gotten the Dual 1's if you want to get everything out of that amp with a pair of subs. you can't wire the Dual 2's to the ohm load that you need. you'll either be running way too low of an ohm load and fry the amp or way too high of a load and not get everything out of the amp. your ohm load will change with varrying frequencies. when you hook up your subs to the amp and see that 1.5ohms, thats called your "nominal" load. when your music is playing and the ohm load varries thats called your "reactive?" load and it is constanly changing. in real world you will never see that 1500 watts that your amp is supposed to put out unless you wire your subs down to say a .5ish ohms and your "box rise" takes you back up to 1ohm. I DO NOT EVER RECOMMEND DOING THAT

Edited by ChILL

ok also why at the coils reading 1.5ohms when it should be reading 2ohms. xcons come in a 1 ohm and 2 ohms version.

Also if i was was to wire the amp down to .5ohms with two subs and tune the amp so that it plays with no distoration would that be ok. i use the smd dd1 to set the gains.

The advertised 2 ohms is AC Impedance. The 1.5 you're getting is DC Resistance. Nothing is wrong with your Xcon. If you get another Dual 2 it will read similarly (it will probably not be EXACTLY the same).

And don't run your amp at .5 ohms. It will put lots of stress on the amp and you run the risk of blowing it if you're not careful. It doesn't matter if you set the gains perfectly, most amps are not built to run at .5 ohms on a daily basis.

Oh and the impedance changes when playing it because of several things. Heat (from being powered), Position in the motor, and a bunch of other stuff cause the impedance to rise and drop. This is called "impedance rise" or "box rise" and is normal.

Get another similar amp if you can, for the second sub. It's a good match. You will need to work on the electrical system of your cr to handle all those watts !

0.5 Ohm is very low for daily use, and require a very very STRONG electrical : HO alt and several AGM batteries.

Your DD-1 is not a magical tool ! Personnally I've never used anything but my ears to set gains on my amps. Never fried anything so far, for years.

What amp do you have now?

It would be easier and safer to Run the 2 XCONs on 2 seperate one ohm stable amps.

i have a saz-1500. ill have to wait for next years db-r black friday sale again to get another one, unless i find one locally.