Blazinloud

Problems with my zv3

Hey everyone, bought my zv3 months ago and finally got around to installing it. I had an old sealed box that I threw it in, it's on the large side at about 3.7 cubic feet amp is an saz1500v1. Problem is that when I turn it up to really get the sub moving I get loud sharp cracking noises and an occasional pop! It sounds really good at lower volume but cranked up it starts to go crazy. Any ideas? My gain is at about half bass boost at 0 it sounds like it bottoms out but I couldn't even get my type rs to do that off this amp??

It sounds like you are pushing it past the mechanical limit. Spider packs make noises when pushed past their limit.

Off 1500 watts in a sealed box? It dosent seem nearly as loud as it should be. Before I had the amp pushing 2 12 inch type rs in a big ported box and they never once made a noise like this and I honestly tried blowing them on occasion and they just got louder and louder?

I sure hope a 12 inch zv3 can take more power sealed than 2 hype rs ported?

Edited by Blazinloud

Off 1500 watts in a sealed box? It dosent seem nearly as loud as it should be. Before I had the amp pushing 2 12 inch type rs in a big ported box and they never once made a noise like this and I honestly tried blowing them on occasion and they just got louder and louder?

I sure hope a 12 inch zv3 can take more power sealed than 2 hype rs ported?

Well, 1- 12" sealed won't have the same output as double the cone in a ported enclosure... And like Neil stated you might be pushing it beyond its limits mechanically... That driver could in the right setup take double the RMS that you're giving it. But the enclosure size if most likely the factor in which you are having the problem. I have my 15" sub which handles less wattage in a smaller sealed enclosure than you AND it is bigger than the optimal enclosure recommended by SSA... If you're at 3.7 for a 12" and I'm at 3.2 for a 15" then something is being done wrong ... obviously... I've yet to hear/read this type of thread for a Z series subwoofer from Sundown....

Add blocks in the enclosure to take up some volume.... I've say to shave off up to 1 cube IMO... But I don't know that the Z was made to excel in a sealed application either... Correct me if I'm wrong...

I agree with everything that has been said. 3.7 is HUGE for that sub sealed, which will cause the sub to reach it's mechanical limits without much power.

You're pushing it way too far.

put a slot port in it and call it a day. adding a port will take up volume in the enclosure and give you more output. you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thanks guys, that was my next guess, this thing is MOVING at half gain and less than half volume on my deck. It's sounds BAD I've never had a sub in my career make this noise. This box is temporary till I build a ported, unless there is an easy way to figure out how wide and long it needs to be

I agree the box is too big but I didn't think it would cause this much crap. I will try adding blocks or something.

I would take it out until you have a new box or you will permanently destroy your sub.

you are basically free airing the sub.... you will... rip the glue from the former, / rip spiders, or bend the bottom of the coil,..... it will happen if you keep playing.

And that's exactly what it sounds like, someone wall socketing a sub, that death sound lol no worries I'll quit till I make it smaller.

what are the external dimensions of the enclosure? it would be easy to put a port in there to take up space in the enclosure and to give you alot more output. also what type of music do you usually listen to. if you give us that we can get you in the ball park and i'll sould a hell of alot better.

what are the external dimensions of the enclosure? it would be easy to put a port in there to take up space in the enclosure and to give you alot more output. also what type of music do you usually listen to. if you give us that we can get you in the ball park and i'll sould a hell of alot better.

True... give us dimensions... you could install an aero port in there and call it a day and get everything needed for THAT sub to excel properly...

Without knowing the requirements of that sub....

A 3.7 cubes enclosure with 1- 6" port at 20" would give you a pretty low tuning so let's say you keep it under that you would have a pretty nice enclosure.

Box dimensions are 24x16x17.5 external with 3/4 inch mdf.

Vehicle is a 2006 Tacoma double cab box is on the back seat :P

And I'm in Canada, I have no idea where to rider from either

Edited by Blazinloud

Recommended enclosure volume before any displacement >

1 cu ft sealed

2 cu ft ported

Box oversized, hence inadequate damping, thus driver is being pushed over mechanical limit with applied power.

Just to make sure I understand :

1) How many Z v.3 12s do you have ? Just one ?

2) If you have just one woofer... you are in the region we suggest for TWO Z v.3 12s in a ported box with 3.7 cubes. You are using nearly 4x what we would suggest sealed for a single Z v.3 12" but I would really not suggest sealed as optimal as you will have a lacking bottom end compared to a woofer better for sealed and/or this woofer ported.

These have very powerful motors geared towards ported and they will move ALOT in a super large box, especially sealed where there is no port to restrict movement around tuning.

Edited by sundownz

Ya just one 12, I'm waiting to get to a computer to use re's box calculator. Any suggestions on size and tuning off 1500 watts?

Ya just one 12, I'm waiting to get to a computer to use re's box calculator. Any suggestions on size and tuning off 1500 watts?

They already gave you an answer.

Keep your box, but add a port in it.

If you're on a super tight buget, try some pvc tube. It will be faster than waiting to build another box, and it will sound very good.

They already gave you an answer.

Keep your box, but add a port in it.

If you're on a super tight buget, try some pvc tube. It will be faster than waiting to build another box, and it will sound very good.

3.7 cu ft for 1 12 is still too much for ported.

He only needs a 2cu ft ported box, tuned at 36hz would be good enough.

You need to fill the box to shrink its size and then add port if you want to keep that box and "inexpensively" re-do you setup...

Just to make sure I understand :

1) How many Z v.3 12s do you have ? Just one ?

2) If you have just one woofer... you are in the region we suggest for TWO Z v.3 12s in a ported box with 3.7 cubes. You are using nearly 4x what we would suggest sealed for a single Z v.3 12" but I would really not suggest sealed as optimal as you will have a lacking bottom end compared to a woofer better for sealed and/or this woofer ported.

These have very powerful motors geared towards ported and they will move ALOT in a super large box, especially sealed where there is no port to restrict movement around tuning.

sorry to thread jack. but while we are still on topic i have two q's for you. are the stock Z v3 coils 3" or 4"? and can you fit a 4" voice coil of a Nightshade?