Sign in to follow this  
SnapperKing

2) 12" GCONS @ 600W RMS Sealed

All,

I'm looking to run a pair of 12's in a sealed enclosure (1.00-1.25 ft^3 per) @ 600W RMS to each sub.

Would I be losing any significant performance by under powering these subwoofers? I understand that they are rated for 750W RMS but I am limited to a total of 1200W RMS and would like to run 2-12s in a sealed enclosure due to my trunk-space limitations. Also, should these perform well in a relatively small sealed enclosure or is 1.0-1.25 FT^3 too little? What is the current lead time on the GCONS?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SnapperKing

All,

I'm looking to run a pair of 12's in a sealed enclosure (1.00-1.25 ft^3 per) @ 600W RMS to each sub.

Would I be losing any significant performance by under powering these subwoofers? I understand that they are rated for 750W RMS but I am limited to a total of 1200W RMS and would like to run 2-12s in a sealed enclosure due to my trunk-space limitations. Also, should these perform well in a relatively small sealed enclosure or is 1.0-1.25 FT^3 too little? What is the current lead time on the GCONS?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SnapperKing

There is no way you would hear the difference between 600 and 750 watts each. Plan on about a month, but they will be worth the wait. The would be a very good choice for that size sealed enclosure, with that amount of power. If you can stay on the bigger end of your range I would.

Around 1.25cuft per driver would be fine.

600w would be fine as well. No audible difference between 600w and 750w

2) 12" GCONs it is.

One more question - what is the dislacement of the 12" Subwoofer so I can take that into consideration when sizing the enclosure?

Much Appreciated,

SnapperKing

.15 cu ft per sub, the SSA website has really good info with all the specs and enclosure recommendations. Sadly, there are no enclosure designs available for download yet, but Aaron Clinton, who is a member here, is remarkably helpful with any/all the less than conventional questions I asked. I am sure he can answer any question you throw his way.

We have the enclosure suggestions up, just don't have the Free 3D Sketch Up enclosure cut-sheet downloads up yet. The Gcon seemed to be happy in enclosures similar to the Xcon sealed and fairly similar to the Icon ported. The Gcon is a higher then our average, in regards to Qts. So it has turned out to be a great option as the Dcon thrives ported, but some people wanted to save space and the Gcon sealed has been an excellent option.

Placed my order a few minutes ago!

I'm still looking for a straight forward design for the sealed enclosure. I've never built a subwoofer enclosure before so this should be interesting. I'm not worried about the fabrication process - I just need to get a nice and detailed cut sheet and figure out how to make it look good once fully assembled and cured. I could totally see myself mangling the carpet part - maybe i should just use a couple coats of roll on bed liner. We will see.

Also - I'm leaning towards the Hifonics BRZ1700.1D because of the wallet. Should put out ~1200W @ 2ohms

Snapper

Placed my order a few minutes ago!

I'm still looking for a straight forward design for the sealed enclosure. I've never built a subwoofer enclosure before so this should be interesting. I'm not worried about the fabrication process - I just need to get a nice and detailed cut sheet and figure out how to make it look good once fully assembled and cured. I could totally see myself mangling the carpet part - maybe i should just use a couple coats of roll on bed liner. We will see.

Also - I'm leaning towards the Hifonics BRZ1700.1D because of the wallet. Should put out ~1200W @ 2ohms

Snapper

What coil configuration did you order? It will be cheaper to try to find an amp that does rated power @ 1 ohm.

I went with Dual 2's. I previously had issues with 1 ohm set-ups so I've been running all my amps at 2 ohms since. No particular reason really... I've read that 2 ohms will produce tighter, more accurate bass but I've yet to notice the difference between 1 ohm and 2 ohm.

Snapper

A 2 ohm load is going to be easier on your electrical system for a daily driver, I don't think there is any audible difference between 1 or 2 ohm.

My vehicle came from the factory with a 140amp alternator. Do you think the Big 3 will preclude any issues with dimming if I'm running a 1200W amp @ 2ohms?

My vehicle came from the factory with a 140amp alternator. Do you think the Big 3 will preclude any issues with dimming if I'm running a 1200W amp @ 2ohms?

Hard to know for certain until installed. If it does once installed, consider a battery in addition to the big3.

A 2 ohm load is going to be easier on your electrical system for a daily driver, I don't think there is any audible difference between 1 or 2 ohm.

Just because it's a 2ohm load doesn't mean it will be any easier on the electrical system. It depends on the efficiency of the amplifier, not the impedance of the load.

Hard to know for certain until installed. If it does once installed, consider a battery in addition to the big3.

Pretty much sums it up. You need to install the system first and go from there. Too many factors to know before hand how the electrical will behave.