Sign in to follow this  
boosted Josh

10" GCON vs 12" DCON both ported with 400rms

I'm doing a budget system and I'm trying to decide on which sub will work best with my space limit and amp.

My space constraint is because I've got to leave enough room to get the stroller in the trunk of my 2001 E class.

I'm going to build the box to make best use of the space I've got. Based on my calculations I can get up to about 2.25 CF slot ported tuned to 30hz. It's going to have to be long and rather shallow but should work.

That will give me enough space to meet the optimal enclosure spec for either a 12" DCON or a 10" GCON.

The 10" GCON needs 1.75-2.0 CF tuned to 28-33hz

The 12" DCON needs 2.25 CF tuned to 28-33hz

I'm going to be using a powerbass ASA 400.2x bridged. It should give me 400rms at 4 ohms. (Again it's a budget system)

I listen to everything from rock to rap, but I do want something that will hit the lows where I can really feel it.

So is there a reason to go with one over the other?

Thanks!

I would imagine that the 12" DCON would likely be the better choice due to the extra cone area. I've not had a chance to play with the GCON's but I have had my hands and ears on a 12" DCON and can say with with the utmost confidence that for the price it's going to be really hard to beat. The DCON's ability to play so accurately and still move things around inside a vehicle is amazing for its power rating and price range. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice but IMHO the DCON is probably the better and more budget friendly choice.

The Dcon has the cone advantage, and the Gcon has the Xmax advantage. Both have no problem with range of frequency response. The Gcon just has higher limitations and a little more flexible on enclosures. Power wise, you are fine with either. :)

Out of those two I would go with the Dcon.

But you might wanna look into an aero port instead of a slot port, you would be able to squeeze out more net volume with the same space since the aero port takes up less volume than a slot port. That way maybe you could get the optimal recommended volume for the Gcon 12"

The Dcon has the cone advantage, and the Gcon has the Xmax advantage. Both have no problem with range of frequency response. The Gcon just has higher limitations and a little more flexible on enclosures. Power wise, you are fine with either. smile.png

I had done the math to determine the volume of the air each could move at Xmax but I don't know if that actually tells me anything.

I would imagine that the 12" DCON would likely be the better choice due to the extra cone area. I've not had a chance to play with the GCON's but I have had my hands and ears on a 12" DCON and can say with with the utmost confidence that for the price it's going to be really hard to beat. The DCON's ability to play so accurately and still move things around inside a vehicle is amazing for its power rating and price range. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice but IMHO the DCON is probably the better and more budget friendly choice.

Out of those two I would go with the Dcon.

But you might wanna look into an aero port instead of a slot port, you would be able to squeeze out more net volume with the same space since the aero port takes up less volume than a slot port. That way maybe you could get the optimal recommended volume for the Gcon 12"

2 votes for the DCON

When it comes down to it, they will both be very similar in output.

The Dcon has the cone advantage, and the Gcon has the Xmax advantage. Both have no problem with range of frequency response. The Gcon just has higher limitations and a little more flexible on enclosures. Power wise, you are fine with either. smile.png

I had done the math to determine the volume of the air each could move at Xmax but I don't know if that actually tells me anything.

All it really tells you is how much air they can move in a single stroke, albeit the 12" DCON does move more air than the 10" GCON according to the math, that's really all it can tell you.

When it comes down to it, they will both be very similar in output.

^^^I agree, the difference between them will probably not be significant enough to be any sort of deciding factor. The two most important factors are price and space. Are you willing to pay a little more to use a little less space or are you willing to give up a little bit more space and save a few dollars?

When you mention that the Gcon is more flexible on the enclosure why is this?

The reason I ask is that getting exactly 2.25 CF for the Dcon may be tough for me since I've never built a box before. I'll be close but by the time I add bracing that isn't accounted for in the calculation I could be 5%-10% off.

It'd be much easier for me to get within a range than dead nuts on.

Cost wise we aren't looking at a huge difference, and I only paid $50 for the amp so I can stay within budget either way.

FWIW I messed with the enclosure calculator a bit more and just can get quite enough room to do a 12" Gcon in the optimal enclosure spec. I could do it but it'll be on the small side at 2.35 CF - bracing and woofer displacement and have 2.75" of clearance for the pole vent.

For anyone interested I'm working with 36" in width 15" in height and trying to keep the depth no more than 13". Any deeper than 13" and I'm going to have a hard time getting the stroller in the trunk.

Sorry if I missed something but if you are talking 2.25 net why aren't you considering a 12" GCON? How much port area are you using to calculate the enclosure volume/tuning?

My calculations for the larger box were based on a 2.5" port with a length of about 33" and height of 13.5".

The box would be 36" wide, 15" tall, and 13" deep. Built with 3/4" MDF.

When you mention that the Gcon is more flexible on the enclosure why is this?

The reason I ask is that getting exactly 2.25 CF for the Dcon may be tough for me since I've never built a box before. I'll be close but by the time I add bracing that isn't accounted for in the calculation I could be 5%-10% off.

It'd be much easier for me to get within a range than dead nuts on.

I did not mean you have to be dead on to the specs. I meant that the Dcon is a fairly low Qts. sub woofer, and in most cases, they will lean mostly ported, and in this case, smaller ported enclosures. The Gcon has a higher Qts., so you have a little more flexibility with sizing across the range of both sealed and ported. In no way does this mean the Gcon is a better driver based on the Qts., it means it is a different sub woofer that likes different enclosures. :)

Went with the 10" GCON for a couple reasons. Size of the box being one and giving me room to grow being the other.

Since bass is like horsepower (as in you can never have enough) I decide if I want to add another sub down the road the 10" GCON will give me that ability.

From what I've read the DCON's don't like sealed enclosures and I don't have mear enough room to do 2 12's ported. But I can do 2 10's ported and certainly sealed.

Ordered it last Friday and already got an update that it is awaiting shipment. Which means I've got to finish my box!!

Thank you for your order. That order status does not mean the Gcon is finished, it means the order is processed and the build ticket is in with the build house and your sub woofer is in the build queue.

Dont get in a rush. It will take about 30 days for you to get it.

Thank you for your order. That order status does not mean the Gcon is finished, it means the order is processed and the build ticket is in with the build house and your sub woofer is in the build queue.

That's cool. I thought it was a little too fast, but since I got the inital update that said "Awaiting Fulfillment" and then one that said "Awaiting Shipment" with a tracking number I figured you guys were working all weekend. I guess it just means a shipping label was printed.

Dont get in a rush. It will take about 30 days for you to get it.

No rush at all. Still got to finish the box which is taking longer than I thought it would.

No rush at all. Still got to finish the box which is taking longer than I thought it would.

It's never really a bad thing that it takes longer than planned. It often just means things are getting done right.