LMR

sub and amp recommendations

Since April 23, I've been waiting for a sub box from Fox acoustics. It will be a 12" single sealed enclosure for a Dodge quad cab pickup. With a limit of $600, what would the recommendations be for quality sounding bass amp and sub?

Man, there are hundreds of combinations available.

What's the volume of the box?

In addition, need to know if there are any mounting depth restrictions and a more detailed description of what you are looking for performance wise out of a subwoofer.

As Tirefryr said, there are hundreds of combinations and options. You need to narrow down that selection by giving us more details.

I looked and Fox Acoustics does not give any details concerning volume but for some reason .85 sticks in my head. The depth was 6.75 inches. I realize there are a ton of stuff out there but I would just as much rather ask what works then for me to just throw money at the set up. I don't get the loudness competitions but am looking to strive toward true reproduction. Maybe I am asking too much but would like to hear the bass guitars and drums distinct sound and not muffled together. At one point of my life, I was told how clean music will not tire you out like muddier sound would after awhile. The installer had recommended the Fox box and was going to use PowerBass amp and a PowerBass 2X sub. Due to the fact he never returns my calls, I'll probably go elsewhere to have the installation done. So not knowing the credibility of PowerBass and realizing there are many possible selections,I am taking the advice to ask for suggestions first. The only other criteria is that I not have to change my alternator, which being a diesel would be beefy anyhow.

I did look at the SSA subs but am not looking to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery. This box has been on order since April and I am missing the rear seat for this long. So no damage is done to the equipment and my Great Dane puppy, I want the install done soon.

I called up Joe Fox and was told the volume is .95 with a depth of 7".

I had the fox acoustics dual 10" ported enclosure in my 2005 Ram 1500 Quad - For a small ported enclosure, it sounded as good as it was gonna get for an under-seat setup. The best you can get for the Ram - I would recommend Fox for EVERYONE with a Ram. I remember when I was having it installed, I brought the shop the enclosure and they were blown away by the fit and the quality. I came back to pick up my vehicle later on that evening and 3 of the installer's friends with 1500 quad cabs were there checking it out hahaha. It really is a great product.

My enclosure had a maximum mounting depth of 6.5". If he is telling you 7.0", they must have redesigned it since 2009. If you want good sound quality, purchase your subwoofers and amp from a reputable company. Like I've mentioned in my previous posts, Kicker amps are great, heard good things about Crescendo too. You have many too many subwoofer choices to list - the ball is really in your court.

***One thing that I'm not sure about but you might want to look into - maximum mounting depth of 7.0 inches doesn't mean that you should run a 12" driver with a mounting depth of 7.0". One would think that you may want to run something a little bit shallower to facilitate better air-flow and cooling around the back of the magnet? One of the more experienced guys may want to chime in here.

Yes if you run a sub with a pole vent you need atleast 1" clearance. Some are designed with the vent in the ring so you can run the sub flat up against the wood if you wanted.