alexj01_83

Home theater box design

Seriously KEEP playing. There will be all sorts of people that try to argue you are doing something wrong, but it's their ignorance coming through. Exactly the mechanism I'd use to select drivers but never as the program recommends. Programs are tools, not oracles.

Many plate amps have a ssf/highpass at ~20hz. So you may want to check into it. I would also model a 2.5cf box @20hz. This keeps excursion down to 14mm @500watts. You aren't gaining much with a bigger box.

There is a new version of winisd on facebook btw.

Have fun,

Duane

I used hornresp to model a transmission line (TL). If Sundown's specs are correct, I think that the sa-12 is a good driver for this type of box. fr starts to roll off at 20hz. Volume is just over 2 cf. Plus it is about 2-3 db more efficient than a vented box.

The biggest reason to use this type of box over a ported box is because it doesn't use a "port". When you tune a ported enclosure really low the port gets really long. And you need a big port for this driver, making the box bigger. So a TL ends up being smaller overall.

You didn't model a TL.

A TL with a 20 Hz cutoff is roughly 7-10 feet long. At a marginal Sd ratio, you are still talking huge. (like 5-8ft3 if you fold it up) Also, by nature, a TL will never be 2-3db more efficent than a 4th order vented...

LOL. I guess what I modeled would be called a reverse taper, offset, rear loaded horn. But that is how you model a TL in hornresp.

The taper, or area of the of the exit, can also affect the tuning.

The ported designs are EBS types. So they are giving up efficiency for extension. This is why they model at a lower spl per watt. Also I used different programs for the different designs so that could be a variable.

Right, just not a TL...

Large box.

Tuned low.

I have been building(for too many years) a pair of boxes. They will be about 16 cuf each. Big BIG boxes.

If you go onto the forums for HT they will have insane builds. Things that would make SPL cars look pathetic when it comes to size and power.

I cannot give you technical advice, but I can give you pragmatic advice. Pick something that you can actually acomplish, and make sure you remember your room. This thing has to go somewhere....

All the fancy horns and TL type stuff is a waste of time is what I am trying to say. It has it's place but it's just not practical for anyone but 3/4,000,000,000 of the people out there.

They become too much, and too hard to build.

All the fancy horns and TL type stuff is a waste of time is what I am trying to say. It has it's place but it's just not practical for anyone but 3/4,000,000,000 of the people out there.

I have found tapered TL's work for speakers that want really small boxes tuned low. They are no harder to build than a slot ported box. Horns, yes, they are a PITA because of the size.

This and most people who build TLs and Horns don't realize they are building neither... I have yet to see a true TL posted on here for car use...

This and most people who build TLs and Horns don't realize they are building neither... I have yet to see a true TL posted on here for car use...

Wait, so there shouldn't be any volume in a TL? :P

My favorite is vented 4th order alignments that are "mass loaded" or "chambered TLs"...

These are on sale for $100 a pair right now and will kill those Pinnacles...

For the price of two pair of the daytons. I can get two pair of pinnacles 500ft in wall wire, and buy some sheets for my iB setup i think the pinnacles will be a step up above the speakers I have now (baby steps lol)

How much are the Pinnacles?

That's pretty cheap!