Angelboy863

The appropriate place for a volt meter?

I'd like some opinions on where I should have my voltage metered from. Currently it's hooked up to the battery so I know how much voltage is at my battery, but should I have it wired straight to the alternator or the amp? I'm stuck between battery and amp. I'd like to know voltage to my amp but I'd also like to know voltage to my battery. I guess I can buy another one. But what would you guys do? How do you have your volt meters set up?

And do you guys have your power wire for your volt meter fused?

Edited by Angelboy863

My volt meter is not fused. I do believe you answered your own question, buy two. Mine is actually connected to the relay that powers amp/volt meter.

wired right to the amp...knowing the voltage at the amp is more important then at the battery(to me anyways)

wired right to the amp...knowing the voltage at the amp is more important then at the battery(to me anyways)

This is what we do unless we install more then one.

I suppose buying another will do. I have a friend that has his volt meter fused. Although, he fuses almost all his stereo power wires (including speaker wires) lol, I wish I can have mine wired to my relays, I'm not sure how to do it or if I have relays lol*

Edited by Angelboy863

Agreed, buy two. Then you will know how much of a drop you are having in between the front and the back.

I see absolutely no point in having two volt meters.

The only reason I monitor my volt meter is to make sure I am not killing my alt. If my voltage starts dropping into the sub 13's I back off the volume on my ZED RA. I would hate to fry the diodes in my alt.

Voltage drop from front batt to rear batt is a constant. Measure once with a dvm for shits and giggles and thats that.

I suppose buying another will do. I have a friend that has his volt meter fused. Although, he fuses almost all his stereo power wires (including speaker wires) lol, I wish I can have mine wired to my relays, I'm not sure how to do it or if I have relays lol*

I think one meter connected at the amp is plenty. Fuses are never a bad idea, but if you're connecting that with the same small 20-24 gauge wire that comes attached to the meter then in the case of a short it will burn the wire in two long before its a real fire hazard. Hell that could almost still happen even if it's fused unless the fuse is quite small. Fusing speaker wires is completely useless tho.

What exactly is your goal with the volt meters?

I would agree with edouble that I don't see the point in having 2 meters. In most daily car audio installs I don't really see the point in having one. If you constantly run your system to the edge then the solution is to improve your electrical system, not install a volt meter.

And I'd take that one step further and say I flat out don't understand a permanent install of a voltmeter, unless of course you have every other gauge that let's you monitor your car and its status. The voltmeter is the last I'd add.

I see. One voltmeter is fine, Personally, I like to see my voltage. I don't want to look like a voltmeter nut and have a bunch of volt meters lol. Just a thought that I had for the day.

And I'd take that one step further and say I flat out don't understand a permanent install of a voltmeter, unless of course you have every other gauge that let's you monitor your car and its status. The voltmeter is the last I'd add.

I could see the permanent use in an SPL competition vehicle.... in a DD I dunno... maybe if a person had a higher powered DD and was strapped for cash and had to plan and save for each upgrade the volt meter could help them keep the equipment safe until they could afford the appropriate electrical upgrades.....

My 2011 Malibu has no stock voltmeter what so ever. My friends 08 Grand Prix doesn't either.. Reason enough for me. I'll be running mine to my amp. That's where I would like to monitor.

^ what Alton said.

I have 1 volt meter going to my amp just because my car is PCM controlled and when my voltage is 14.0 or 14.2 my stock meter sits under 14v a little. So I did it for reassurance plus I like have as much info as possible.

It will never hurt to monitor your voltage.

It will never hurt to monitor your voltage.

Or your oil pressure, transmission temperature, water temp, oil temp, AFR, and so on. Not saying no gauge is necessary, I love to know what's going on I'd just choose in a different order perhaps.

Chasing tenths on a car you drive around daily is stupid. Your ears can't tell. Learn to listen to your system and hear when its stressed and you'll be much better off.

I'm thinking about taking the volt meter out now. It's very bright and almost a distraction driving at night. If anything I'd just check my voltage once a week or something instead of keeping one in the car at all times. My voltage seems good and I have no worries of it dropping. (cross my fingers)

I have mine running from my amp. I had the same problem with it being so bright at night so I just wired in a switch so I can turn it on if I think I'm getting a big drop.

It's nice to have the VM because there are other things in my car that take a lot of Voltage and I'd like to see where my car is running at a lot.

I'm thinking about taking the volt meter out now. It's very bright and almost a distraction driving at night. If anything I'd just check my voltage once a week or something instead of keeping one in the car at all times. My voltage seems good and I have no worries of it dropping. (cross my fingers)

If you have it installed already, you could always relocate it to the glovebox or somewhere out of sight but accessible when you feel it's necessary.