Sign in to follow this  
jordan.guess

1999 Jeep Cherokee, $1000 budget. audio restoration

In my town, we have absolutely nobody to consult for car audio...so I am in dire need of some advice. I have about $1000 budget (as posted above). I just put in a pioneer head unit, so that part is taken care of. With the budget, Ide like to replace the 4 stock speakers (all 5 1/4", 2 in the rear roof, 2 in the front door panels). And then I am sacrificing some space in the trunk for a sub box. My dimensions are 20" height, 35" width, 15" bottom depth", 8" top depth. I have no idea on what direction I want to go other than Im thinking 2 12's with the space I have and an amp to match them, but I really want to avoid extra batteries and alternators and so forth (if I can). Preferred music is rap, hip-hop, dubstep, and all kinds of rock. If you need any other information on the vehicle or anything, please let me know; I'm sure if left out some vital information on what my goals are here so please correct me. Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

A $1000 budget is a great place to start. I would also start by saying you're a good candidate for a 5 channel amp. That way you can throw a little real power at your highs and still have amplification for your subs without having to run a lot of bigger wires, wasting a lot of space, or anything like that.

The Cadence ZRS-C8 is a pretty powerful 5 channel and would do very well as the foundation for a decent little system.

I think you're a good candidate for a pair of 12" DCON's, or even the 10" and save yourself a little more space. They're truly great subs!

These Alpine Type R components are always well reviewed and would be great for use in the front.

These Alpine Type R coax's would be fine for the rear, which I wouldn't use or recommend replacing, but if ya got to ya got to.

That would leave about $150 for building the enclosure, wiring, and I would suggest a little sound deadening as well. If I was in your situation this is about what I would do, give or take on one item or another. There's quite a few different 5 channel amps on the market so you do have some choices if you want to go that route. There's a bloomin' million choices of sub on the market but very few will give the quality of performance and output the DCON can offer at its price. Same is true for the speakers, but considering that EVERYONE has a different taste or preference in what sounds good to them, it's always in a persons best interest to listen to as many as possible and buy on what they think sounds good to them. If you can build your enclosure yourself there's plenty of people and places to get a simple design to fit your truck and if you can't then there's vendors out there and on this forum too that can build one for you. I like using KnuKonceptz for wiring. They have good wire for good prices and I've used them for several years now without a single complaint. Lastly, I'll never do another build without sound deadening in the vehicle. It's not generally cheap when done right, but even minimal sound deadening treatment is better than none at all.

Have you pulled the doors and actually checked the front speakers? If not, I would double check the size of your front speakers. My buddy has an 01 Cherokee and he had 6.5" front speakers stock even though Crutchfield said 5.25". That being said, if you do have the 6.5" and don't mind waiting a week or so, I should have these in my Blazer and reviewed by next Thursday or Friday. Also, I don't remember the mounting depth, but it was very shallow in that door, so you may wanna measure the maximum depth you have as well.

Edited by Big E

i agree with alton except im not a fan of the alpine type r component set (granted i havent heard the newest one but i doubt its all that much better). personally id look at other option like possibly doing a set of these in the front doors http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15773_Boston-Acoustics-PRO50SE-Pro50-SE.html

without any speakers in the back (dont really need em)

or maybe do the pioneer d series comps up front and the coax in the back or even look into cadence line of speakers to save some more money, cadence offers some pretty decent stuff at great prices

I have a 2009 jeep liberty and I love my 6.5 type r Alpines. Another good component speakers are Incriminator audio sold here on SSA.

Yea, I tried fitting my old 6.5's in the front already and they don't fit. Thanks for the help guys! I think I have a general direction on which way I want to go.

I have a 98 Cherokee Limited with a 21" IA Warden. And if i were to give any advice I would suggest doing sub up, port up instead of the traditional sub up port back that most SUV's use. This will help get rid of the vibration of the rear hatch and lock mechanism which is inevitable and incredibly annoying. Sound deadening is highly suggested as well considering the whole truck is made of sheet metal and is prone to vibration. Good luck with your build biggrin.png

i agree with alton except im not a fan of the alpine type r component set (granted i havent heard the newest one but i doubt its all that much better). personally id look at other option like possibly doing a set of these in the front doors http://www.sonicelec...E-Pro50-SE.html

or maybe do the pioneer d series comps up front and the coax in the back or even look into cadence line of speakers to save some more money, cadence offers some pretty decent stuff at great prices

I have a 2009 jeep liberty and I love my 6.5 type r Alpines. Another good component speakers are Incriminator audio sold here on SSA.

Here's a CLASSIC example of what I was referring to when it comes to what sounds good. Everyone has different tastes, different vehicles, and different installations and these all play a part in what "sounds good" from one person to another. I've heard the Type R's in a very standard installation and thought they were OK for the money. That meaning stock locations with stock mounting and no sound deadening at all and for the given installation and HU power they did about as well as I expected them to. I would love to have listened to them with a proper install and power but that wasn't in the cards. That's why you really do need to listen to as many as you can so you can form your own opinion on what sounds good to you. Be sure to ask as to the details of their installation and the amplification that's feeding them to help you get the big picture as well. If at all possible the more of them you can listen to actually installed in a car, especially one that is shaped and sized like your Jeep will give you a more accurate understanding of the final result. That's RARELY possible, but you might get lucky, it will all depend on the shops and other enthusiasts you can come across. I came across a shop while traveling for work once that had a room specially designed to replicate the interior of a vehicle. They had special baffles made up with the speakers mounted in them that allowed them to put them in locations that matched your vehicle and things like that. It was quite elaborate and had a few inherent flaws but was much better than just a regular 'ol sound board with speakers mounted in it. Wish every place had that.

i agree with alton except im not a fan of the alpine type r component set (granted i havent heard the newest one but i doubt its all that much better). personally id look at other option like possibly doing a set of these in the front doors http://www.sonicelec...E-Pro50-SE.html

Here's a CLASSIC example of what I was referring to when it comes to what sounds good. Everyone has different tastes, different vehicles, and different installations and these all play a part in what "sounds good" from one person to another. I've heard the Type R's in a very standard installation and thought they were OK for the money. That meaning stock locations with stock mounting and no sound deadening at all and for the given installation and HU power they did about as well as I expected them to. I would love to have listened to them with a proper install and power but that wasn't in the cards. That's why you really do need to listen to as many as you can so you can form your own opinion on what sounds good to you. Be sure to ask as to the details of their installation and the amplification that's feeding them to help you get the big picture as well. If at all possible the more of them you can listen to actually installed in a car, especially one that is shaped and sized like your Jeep will give you a more accurate understanding of the final result. That's RARELY possible, but you might get lucky, it will all depend on the shops and other enthusiasts you can come across. I came across a shop while traveling for work once that had a room specially designed to replicate the interior of a vehicle. They had special baffles made up with the speakers mounted in them that allowed them to put them in locations that matched your vehicle and things like that. It was quite elaborate and had a few inherent flaws but was much better than just a regular 'ol sound board with speakers mounted in it. Wish every place had that.

I am running 4 channel amp 80rms a channel.

to be honest i havnt read any of this except the first post. check out this guys build. 2 12s just clean!!!!! andits functional for the tire if you still want that. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/251074-ideas-new-install-2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland-edition-2.html

Just a FYI: 84-96 Cherokees use 5.25" speakers all around, 97-2001 should most likely have 6.5" speakers in the front doors.