Sign in to follow this  
Drmmr4life

How to Design Boxes?

Because i'm always changing my mind and many other reasons. I'd really like to start getting into designing boxes. building them is just a matter of putting a cutsheet togther and building. but the designing part obviously is key. i have a mac just fyi so idk what programs to use but i dont know a thing about designing. tips and tricks?

id like to know

what program to use

what major things to take into consid.

what specs of the sub matter

anything else you wanna suggest! lol

im downloading a version right now, but it appears to just be about speakers (subs) not how to design the enclosures for them, ( again appears so i could very well be wrong)

If you can master everything in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, you are golden. Heck, if you can master the first 3-4 chapters you are golden.

There are many online calculators that are freeware, but you need to be carefull, if you don't have a good foundation of knowlege, you will make mistakes that will cost you.

Research first, reads some books and then get some software. I am a fan of Bass Box Pro by Harris, but I think I had to pay about $200 for both of thier programs. When I had a Mac about 20 years ago I was using MacSpeakers by Clear Image Audio, not sure if it/they are still around. It was about $100 back then, no idea now...

The first part of the book(last version) goes in simple detail of how to model a sub using SpeaD (one of the programs I use).

Then he goes into grave detail on sealed, vented, bandpass, and t-lines.

I just use google sketch up when designing anything... its free and easy to learn..you'll have to do some math to figuer out the cuft you want/need or the tuning you desier but all in all it will work like a champ.

Do you have boot camp on your Mac, and running Windows?

I just use google sketch up when designing anything... its free and easy to learn..you'll have to do some math to figuer out the cuft you want/need or the tuning you desier but all in all it will work like a champ.

I believe he wants to be able to try different enclosure alignments with specific speakers, and see what frequency response they render.