srd150

02' A4 Quattro 1.8T

My buddy just picked it up. Has a lot of gadgets going with the HU. Can he upgrade it? Or, will it make him lose some of the finctionality of the displays and whatnot? It has plenty of room in the trunk and could uae some audio upgrades. Stock is bose speakers. They still dont sound great IMO.

Edited by srd150

There is a solution for everything. Goals & budget pretty much determine the right steps.

Hes not into the big systems. I think he'dbe happy with a 12 or two. Possibly a single 15. Gcons or Icons probably. He listens to mainly classic rock, some techno based stuff, and instramentals. Not into rap. He'll want it to sound good without being really pricey. my main concern though is the HU.

do you want to keep the stock hu? sound quality for newer oem headunits are pretty decent. is there some functionality he wants to gain like ipod control?

if so, you wont even need a converter to get signal for the amps, http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/stereo.html. if you read carefully (dont do it the way this guy says to) you can turn the headunit's low level inputs into RCA inputs for the amps.

or the long way around and tap the wires on the speaker output and use a converter or high level input for the amps.

next we can talk about speakers, amps, subs, etc.

what does he think of the stock system? what is it lacking?

from the list of music he listens to, i suggest that he would want to focus on the frontstage first (unless it sounds fine to him)