Blitz08

Ssa icon or kicker l7

I have a 2009 dodge charger the amp I have is a Audioque 2200.I am tryna figure out which subwoofer is better for me.My two choices are the Ssa icon 12"s or the kicker l7 12"s I like loud and also it is a daily driver.Thanks for any suggestions.

which ever one YOU want and the one that fits your budget. I'm gonna take a guess and say everyone will say get the Icon. :lol:

I want a car that goes fast, my options are every fast car. Which one should I choose? See where I'm going with this?

Get the icon, I've run kicker in the past and not that impressed.

iv had the l7 12's and the ssa ZCON not icon. i will say the l7's will get louder than the icons. BUT the icons will sound better soundquality wise. so heres what im thinking for you, if u want loud and dont care much about sound quality, go with the l7's, if u want mainly sound quality but still has the ability to get loud, go with the icons.

Get the icon, I've run kicker in the past and not that impressed.

^^ x2. i ran 1 2011 kicker l7 15 in 4cubes ported on a zx1500.1 for 2 or 3 months. got LOUD for 1 15, but it sounded like poop.. literally......

Come on man I'm asking thinking maybe someone has owned both and can give there opinion on which sub preformed better sounded cleaner even got louder..As far as budget they are around the same price..

Lantz thank you very much I appreciate it..The other ass sorry I didnt ask the question but the other guys seem to get what I was saying.Do you see where I'm going??

Come on man I'm asking thinking maybe someone has owned both and can give there opinion on which sub preformed better sounded cleaner even got louder..As far as budget they are around the same price..

I've had the L7 and just about every subwoofer ever produced by the GOOD internet companies. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd be running a well known, mass produced subwoofer. You have to make compromises and only YOU will know what you like. You may have everyone on this forum vote for the Icon. When you buy one and install it, you may find you don't like it at all. That doesn't mean everyone was wrong, just means you didn't agree.

For what you have listed for requirements, I can say either sub will do that. Those that say the L7s sound like shit, well, I will just leave it at that.

I have heard both on the same power but different vehicles and to be honest i thought the icon was louder. Which is why i am now running icons. Also the boxes where identical except for the cut out for the sub.

no one's trying to rain on your parade. but if you would have read all the rules, then you would've understood why you got the response you did.

Thanks harvester51 that's the sub I was leaning towards and have now made my decision I wish I had room for 15"s I've heard those in icons they were nice..

To the other guy seems like a few guys were able to answer my question without a problem.

No problem man the icon will get very loud and low in a proper enclosure and i only have one right now im trying to figure out how to get 2 of these beast in a single cab pickup.

I own a Icon, and I've experienced a few l7s. I will say Icon hands down for many reasons I chose not to list so that I may avoid the name of "nuthugger" but would list if you so request.

Thanks harvester51 that's the sub I was leaning towards and have now made my decision I wish I had room for 15"s I've heard those in icons they were nice..

To the other guy seems like a few guys were able to answer my question without a problem.

No offense...but this is totally a loaded question. You don't go to the Ford forum and say "I'm thinking of getting a Mustang...but I might get a Camaro. Who has driven both and which did you pick?" Y'know...obviously everyone there is going to say Mustang...

I mean....come on. These are the SSA forums...how many people on the SSA Forums are really going to say that the L7 is a better driver? If you were looking for reasons to buy the Icon instead of the L7 then you came to the right place but you wanted fair, unbiased info right?

Edited by An-i-no

Would like to hear reasons since you have experience both woofers.Thank you

An-I-no I can see what your saying but hearing the differences doesn't hurt it's just opinions at the end I make the call..They say the l7"s do get loud if I don't care for the sq as much so they have helped.

I have ran L7's many years ago. With the right power and enclosure they do sound ok. Not too sure what issues the guys were having that said they sounded bad.

Not too sure what issues the guys were having that said they sounded bad.

Improper installs, and the hate kicker bandwagon. Having used both I would still choose the ICON, which suits my taste better.

Would like to hear reasons since you have experience both woofers.Thank you

Seriously a TERRIBLE way to make a decision. You left out the most critical factor in the whole thread which is the install. There are definitely situations where either of these subs could fit your needs better and that is very easy to tell without owning either. This will be wholeheartedly box dependent, goal, and power dependent.

There are only 2 things we can go on so far in your thread to point you in the right direction. With the power you have you won't have to turn your gains as low on the Icon and since you seem to not quite understand boxes you are probably better off with the Icon as well since there is more liberty to screw up the enclosure and have it still sound good.

I'll add one other comment. For those that have used the L7 and think it sounds like shit there are only two possibilities. 1) They suck at understanding t/s parameters and how to decide which sub to buy or 2) They suck at understanding how to use those parameters to design a box. And if you suck at either of those, the Icon is a better choice. More box independent and more support via this forum.

Now of course if we knew your goals, knowledge, background and other things the answer may be completely different. There is no such thing as a catch all answer and if you find one anywhere on the net it's been made by people who don't know what they are talking about.

What kind of music do you like ? What car, power,...?

I had run both in 15" and I loved the L7. It gets loud and low, but I think the L7 gives you less details in the music. For rap it may be ok, but not so good on other kind of songs. I tried several sealed boxes for the L7 : the bigger the better for sure ! It needs room.

The Icon is a very different driver, can't compare Icon and L7 easily. TheIcon can be loud, but it plays music, not just boom. Whatever you listen to, it will satisfy you.

And the L7 canot be reconed. You will have to get another one if you have a problem with it. Kicker is a good company, get the L7 at an authorised dealer to have a replacement easily.

The Icon is totally reconable. And the customer service is top notch.

It's up to you. But remember : the box is VERY important. Be sure to have a proper one, whatever driver you get.

Mark eldrige and Gary bigs both won numerous grand championships with kicker. The only way they sound like "poop" is due to user error.

:poop:

Older L7's I used or played with were not bad at all in larger sealed boxes. Not to mention, they were the driver for Crazy8's in SPL. ;)

But Sean is correct in that with more back ground and info, the forum can provide a more educated answer based upon that. Sure, I would love it if you bought one of our Icon's, I always have a soft spot for people who own an Icon because the Icon is what we made our brand name on. It's a very lovable sub woofer as it can do a great deal of things well, is pretty forgiving and can sound quite good. Now, is it the best choice for sheer uncompromising SPL? No, but yikes they can get loud to the ear, the 10" version is one of the better daily listening 10" sub woofers available. But, if our Icon is not what fits your needs, then that was a waste of money.

:)