Angelboy863

Problem after doing big three upgrade

Ummm. I redid my big three. I was making a tutorial for YouTube.I added, didn't replace the original wires. In 1/0 i did alt positive to battery positive, battery negative to chassis, battery negative to engine block, engine block to chassis i guess its more of a big four. And battery is kinetik 800. And for a couple of days it was alright. But then I noticed it was having problems turning on, it would crank an extra 2 times or so. Now it doesn't start without me getting a battery charger. Voltage says 10.7 but once I charge it goes as high as 15.8 ? And then it starts up fine.

I did some research, I'm still researching...

Some forums in hondas, people say its the eld (electrical load detector) it shuts off the alternator when the voltage is under 12.. Some people say its the alternator or battery going bad. Im pretty sure it's not the alternator and the battery has voltage. Any thoughts? Maybe someone here has gone through this? I don't understand... I'm still researching. I don't want to take it to a mechanic because they will try to break my bank $$$$ at least, I don't want to yet...

Only power I'm running are two amps, 125.2 and 100.2.

Well, first off, do not use your stereo at all for the next few days until we figure this out. Take the whole stereo out so that's not another variable.

Second, once the car is started, can it run for 30min+? if so, the alt is working...

How many batts do you have total?

OK, now lets get to work here..

I can't help you with parts that may be computer controlled so i can try n help with the more normal parts of the charging system.

First, did you fuse the charging cable? if so, is it blown?

I would now do this-

Unhook battery grounds from battery and connect to charger.

Let charger charge this batt up 100% and then trickle charge for a while after that.

10.7 is very bad.

Then put batt back in car and drive normally with no stereo on for 1 week.

This ELD thing would make since if it's correct.

take it to autozone and have them load test the alt and the battery..... just because a battery have voltage does not mean its good...... dead cells will cause starting issues, and display voltage just fine,

and bad battery will also cause a alternator to do weird things.... then fail

do not unhook any of the batterys from the alternator it will burn up the rectifier in it.... just experienced that myself,

Edited by TeamRamRod

do as shiz said and just dont start the car without the alternator seeing a load of some sort

but my solid vote goes for a battery fail

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes the car runs perfectly fine when it's on. I'll take out the stereos power. I didint fuse the alt positive to battery. Ok I'll go to autozone tomorrow...

I have one battery. The kinetik 800.

Edited by Angelboy863

So, so far nothing has been wrong with the civic. It all of a sudden started to be normal again. It turns on fine. I checked voltage and when car is on its at 13.6-8. But then again I unhooked all my amps. I'm going to wait another week till I plug the system back in.

Thanks everyone, especially shizzzon because I think it's because I unplugged my amps that got the car to run normal again!