So, right now I am running a 2011 RF Punch P2 12" on a RF Prime R500.1 (500 watts @ 2 ohms). This is in a 1.72 cuft enclosure tuned to 31.8 Hz via 4" aero. I have the itch to upgrade. I understand that almost anything is an upgrade haha, but I was curious if the SSA GCON 12" would be a substantial difference in volume, and SQ? I would put this in a 3 cuft box tuned to 28Hz via the 4" aero. My current setup is in a 98 grand cherokee, but it will soon be put in the trunk of either a civic or corolla. Just as any extra info so you guys can help: Goal, loudest possible SQ with this sub. What do I listen to? : Everything from Dubstep, to Classic Rock, to Metal, to Gangsta Rap. Why am I singling out the GCON? : It's from SSA, great rep, low Mms more accurate sounding (low compared to the OA-12, SA-12, VVX-12), should sound good on 500, and figured i'd try to stray from the SA-12, VVX-12 trend. If you need anymore info, just ask, I apologize for leaving anything important out. Thanks for all the help and advise!

ill just say this..

i would pick a gcon over a P2... but a X con or ICON would be better.....

your tuned at 28 htz... and ported... but asking about SQ.... your box choice does not reflect an SQ goal IMO.

ill just say this..

your tuned at 28 htz... and ported... but asking about SQ.... your box choice does not reflect an SQ goal IMO.

Since when does a low tune freq, obviously ported, go against an sq style install?

Op, is your current enclosure optimal for your P2?

ill just say this..

Since when does a low tune freq, obviously ported, go against an sq style install?

does an SQ stereo not sound better when sealed........

ill just say this..

does an SQ stereo not sound better when sealed........

No. The enclsoure alignement is designed to be suitable in the environment it is in and for the driver that is being used. It is not true to say that a sealed enclsoure is always best for an SQ setup.

ill just say this..

To answer your question about tuning and SQ. SQ when mentioned with enclosure designing would suggest a flat response with in the actual application. Unless you're using a HT application that low of tuning is not going net a flat response, almost the exact opposite. In most cases when tuned that low, it is do to not understanding the relation being the enclosure, port, and the application. Not saying what you have is wrong, if you like then who cares, just saying it is not SQ and almost all subs will not have an "SQ sound" when in a similar style designed enclosure.

Which also brings me to my next point. If you want to change subs, then you should be designing and building a new enclosure to get the best overall performance from the new sub.

Gcon will kill the P2. I have a P2 (came with my boat) and it's a complete POS.

Goal, loudest possible SQ with this sub.

Then you need to work on your midbass as that will be the problem otherwise kiss SQ out the window. Front stage is where you make an SQ setup work, the sub is the easy part. The P2 has enough output I am sure to blend with what you are currently running so until you upgrade you'll miss out on a lot of output

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1. Recent Topics

• 17 comments
        • 393 comments
        • 2 comments
        • 5 comments
        • 6 comments
        • 1 comment
  • Similar Content

• By mikebingham34
      Hello all, I have been away from the forums for some time since graduating college and started working again. Now that I have some money to finally move away from these seemingly low powered setups (6 systems since 2012), I am looking for help with my wall build. I am going to be building the base to the wall in my 2016 Ford Focus sedan in a week or two, and there is a lot of room to work with (over 30 cubes). I will be running 2 18" ZCONs on (undecided) either a 5.5k or 6.5k amp with supporting electrical (batt bank, lots of OFC wire, and HO alt). This is my daily, and I just want a ground pounder with no care to what numbers it'll put up in the lanes. I would like to demo a lot. I'm thinking 8 cubes per sub (16 cubes net) tuned to 32 Hz is a good place to start (recommended by SSA). I'm thinking either a center slot port, or a top port.
      ** I listen to ALL kinds of music, Decaf/DJSNT, rap, hip hop, metal, rock, 80s/90s pop, jazz, country, movie scores, blues, dubstep/electronic, classic rock, oldies, etc, etc..**
      Now... my questions are: How much port area do y'all recommend? Is 8 cubes of net volume per sub a good amount? Should I be alright running an underrated 5500 watt amp, or go with the 6500? What port orientation shall I go with? 
      If I think of more questions, I will be sure to post them. 
      P.S. Sorry if I am asking some questions that are common knowledge among these builds, but this is my first "loud" and "high powered" setup. My two loudest systems thus far have been a single Obsidian Audio 15 on about 900 watts, and 2 Sundown Ev3-12's on 1300 watts.
      Thank you for your time and patients everyone! Cheers.
    • By Jon
      I recently purchased a SSA Evil 18in sub, and a 3k rms amp. my first ever real set up so im pretty new to car audio. but i have a question and in need of advice. when i turn up the volume it almost sounds like the subwoofer is bottoming out or making a clicking noise. is this normal or do i need to lower the power on it. or  is there more to it than just that?
    • By mbarber25
      I used to frequent this site quite a bit as a young basshead, but adulthood changes things as most of you probably know.  I still have passion and love for bass and I'm excited to finally be able to put a system back in my car as I'll be driving a lot for my new job.  I know the basics of car audio to an extent, but still need some help with some elementary questions and decisions.
      The plan is to install my 12" SSA GCON powered by a Sundown SAZ-1000D that I ran in my Jeep a few years ago in my current car which is a 2014 Accord.  What I do need is a line out converter, a secondary battery, and wiring for the big three upgrade.  Here's what it looks like in the trunk as of now:

Now here's what I need help on:
      1. It seems like the stock electrical system is weak and wouldn't even handle 500 watts without dimming.  My initial thought is to do the big three in 1/0 and go with an XS Power XP750 as my secondary.  Should I even bother doing the big three?  I'd rather not do too much in order to save money and this won't be my car for too too long, but I'd also rather not fry my alternator and have a system that dims everything.
      2. When I ran a secondary battery in the past I had a 250 amp battery isolator to go with it.  Is an isolator necessary?  Or will using a fuse between the main battery and secondary battery, and then another fuse between the secondary battery and the amp do the job?  I remember hearing issues about secondary batteries battling the main battery for a charge when the car was off.  What's the best way to approach installing the secondary battery?
      3. There's no way I'm doing an aftermarket head unit, so it seems like line out converters are the best bet in these scenarios.  If I'm correct, where is the best place to tap in?  Directly behind the stock head unit or off of the rear speakers?  Do these things kill sound quality.  Is there any tuning involved on the actual little piece of hardware?
      4. I'm definitely going to have to do some sound deadening since this car already rattles.  What brands are you guys using these days that are the best bang for your buck?  I used Second Skin back in the day when they were fairly new so I was considering them again.

It's good to be back.  Thanks for any help and input peeps 
    • By spanky1975
      I am trying to run the auto-eq on my unit. I keep getting an error message for outside noise.

I am running in 3-way active mode. Internal amp is turned off. I did reset the head unit and tried again and still had the same error. I am performing the auto-eq in a very quiet closed garage.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
  • Recent YouTube Posts