Drmmr4life

Help with 18" Box

other than sword lord. does anyone think this score of 141.9 is accurate on 1200rms? or no?

It's a great score for a start. When you test more and improve, you will be able to achieve much higher scores. Good job.

what are some things i can do to improve?? other than edit the actuall box

Never herd of anyone using 45's and getting lower scores... The reason I thought you could get much higher cause I've seen 2 dreadnought 12's in a rear firing trunk build on 1200 watts hit 144's for a 30 second run sealed. Starting at a 145

diff subs. diff amp. diff car. enclosure. music. song. to many different things lol but thanks for tryin to help me hit better

diff subs. diff amp. diff car. enclosure. music. song. to many different things lol but thanks for tryin to help me hit better

LOL. You didn't say at what frequency you hit your 141 at. Simply tuning closer to your peak frequency will give you a lot more spl normally. I understand that you don't want a spl box, I just brought it up because you could get a much higher number if sounding good doesn't matter.

As far as things that could help spl, adding bracing to the box or deadening the truck would be a good place to start I think.

Not hating since I don't even have my system built yet... But I got my Box designed by Pete at PWK and he used 45's in all the corners, .385 round overs when the sound had to go in a U shape... And he even went as far as to make the double baffle act as an additional 45 at the mouth of the port. I'm sure everyone here has some good points but his design is one of the best designs I've seen (in my instance) and all of those little things that he does could bring you well into the 45 range..... Or just send him 50$ and wait a week.. He promises your box will be the best one possible for maximum (spl or loudness depending on which path you choose) output in YOUR vehicle with YOUR current equipment.

Shout out for all the guys that helped him, you guys are awesome.

Only reason I'd say PWK over most other people is he does artificial output testing of many different box types with your equipment in your vehicle... And then when he finds the best box type he plays with all the variables, not even leaving the woofer placement to chance.

Again guys on SSA ae freakin awesome, I'm just giving credit where credit is due. If there is anything besides box design, the guys on SSA are beasts, but when you have someone as smart and talented as Pete, with such a great service for only 50$... Why would you leave your box to chance. I didn't.... And I know when I finally get mine together it will be crazy.

I just designed him a very basic box; as i said on page two. I didn't even design it; i just plugged numbers into the Torres calculator. I didn't even know he was even going to compete. He didn't say it was a competition box otherwise I would have suggested a higher tuning.

Regardless, I don't try to pretend like I know a damn thing about competing or even box building really. There are plenty of people here who are extremely knowledgeable and I'm not one of them. But I can design a basic box using the Torres calculator; which is precisely what I did.

However, in my experience, that's a fine score for the first attempt. If you really want to increase your score you have to have access to a meter. Otherwise you'll never know if what you're doing is making you louder or not.

You shouldn't be basing a score off of RMS power. I apologize if you guys aren't doing that, but to me it seems as if you are.

There are a fluster of more variables than just 1200 RMS. Hell, that's probably the least important factor.

Not hating since I don't even have my system built yet... But I got my Box designed by Pete at PWK and he used 45's in all the corners, .385 round overs when the sound had to go in a U shape... And he even went as far as to make the double baffle act as an additional 45 at the mouth of the port. I'm sure everyone here has some good points but his design is one of the best designs I've seen (in my instance) and all of those little things that he does could bring you well into the 45 range..... Or just send him 50$ and wait a week.. He promises your box will be the best one possible for maximum (spl or loudness depending on which path you choose) output in YOUR vehicle with YOUR current equipment.

Shout out for all the guys that helped him, you guys are awesome.

Only reason I'd say PWK over most other people is he does artificial output testing of many different box types with your equipment in your vehicle... And then when he finds the best box type he plays with all the variables, not even leaving the woofer placement to chance.

Again guys on SSA ae freakin awesome, I'm just giving credit where credit is due. If there is anything besides box design, the guys on SSA are beasts, but when you have someone as smart and talented as Pete, with such a great service for only 50$... Why would you leave your box to chance. I didn't.... And I know when I finally get mine together it will be crazy.

You speak on ill-informed knowledge and speculation.

What's ill-informed? Lol should I even start to reply?

There is no speculation... Pete actually does all of those calculations and models to test output, and there is nothing ill-informed because his results speak for themselves.

Guys who ask him for a box design and get one from him... Then question it are always wrong. One guy placed an order, gave all his info to Pete... And Pete came back with a sealed box that would give him maximum output in his situation with his equipment...

Needless to say he didn't believe "Pete's mumbo jumbo" and proceeded to try over 6 different box designs to find out non of them even came close to the frequency response and the output of his box. So the guy paid Pete.. Thought he was full of crap... Build 6 other boxes wasting idk how much money and time... Just to find out Pete was actually right and he just doesn't make up numbers like some people think. Who is I'll-informed? Well I doubt its me on this topic.

Sounds to me like you're just trying to justify the $$ you spent to yourself.

PWK is not the end-all be-all of enclosure design.

question for everyone. how do you measure a port in a basic l shaped box?? i think the calc was off and my box s 5.8 net cubes, and 29.8 (30hz) tuning. so by going to like 6.5 net cubes and 35 tuning will that help my score by a db or to?

You measure the port length right down the center. When you measure thru the long section, stop right in the center of the shorter port. Start measuring again at that intersection point to the end of the shorter port.

I can draw a picture if that doesn't make sense.

There is a chance your port is three inches longer than intended. Too tired now to go back and look and over to see if i made a mistake in design/explanation; but I'll get to it tomorrow night if no one else does by then.

By the way, that extra 3 inches would only decrease net size by ~.15 cubes. Could be enough to loose a hertz or too.

either way not a big deal. like you said it was a quick box which i agree. and i built it quick lol but im building a new one friday anyways so

As long as you really have a port length of 30" that remains 6" wide tuning should be ~32hz.

I didn't read back to how I attempted to describe how to build it; there very well could be an error there. I should have done the 3-D model so there was no confusion.

i plugged the info into torres of my current box specs and its 31.15hz and 5.25 cubic feet (net) the error was the port length, vs physical port length, basically its longer than it shouldve but not to worry lol. new box is going to be 6.5 cubes tuned to 35hz

print screen and post the picture of your Torres calculations.

If I am doing something wrong, I need to know what.

ok np. imma post the pic of my new box design so let me know what you think as well

So like i said, tuning is only like 1hz off lol. not a big deal. the biggest thing which isnt necessarliy your fault. bevcause i didnt really mention i wanted net cubes of 6 ft. but the box is .75 smaller than inteneded. and because im under powering it, tech it should be 6net cubes, and even 6.5 to make it more efficient

ScreenShot2012-08-07at84746AM.png

I built an 18" box once......

I thought i said that your overall height would be 17"? The Torres takes in account the extra .75 for the extra baffle.

I also thought I said for your port length to be 30"??

I would do 17" tall, 38" wide, and 28" deep. L-style slot port that is 6 inches wide and a total of 30 inches wide. Do you understand how to implement L-style slot ports?

Looks a-something like-a dis:

holyCOCK.png

that was at least my intentions!! Forgot to do common port walls, but can I ask why you did three? I would think that in a box like this there would be only 2 common port walls. Which one is the third? With 2 common port walls tuning does drop to 31...

3 because the directions of torres says so lol. the top bottom and sides. 123. for an lport box. 2 would be a center vertical port. like 2 12's and i the middle it uses the top and bottom. (my bad on the box heigh. i think it is actually 17 total) but the length you told me to do 22.5 one length and 6.75 another. that would have made a 4 port int the back so i made one 20.5 and the other 8.75. when it shold have been (according to the pic you just posted) 20.5 and then 2" lol but hey. i rushed anyways. so whatever. noones perfect and its no big deal. new box today. 6.5 net cubes. 38hz, we'll see what the difference make lol

bevcause i didnt really mention i wanted net cubes of 6 ft. but the box is .75 smaller than inteneded. and because im under powering it, tech it should be 6net cubes, and even 6.5 to make it more efficient

I thought we covered this with you already. Stop reading responses to one thing and applying them to another. Enclosure size and "underpowering" is not a game you want to play nor will it help. Way more things to play with first.

right but without a TL and only 2 runs per comp and no local TL i cant test lol

Which is COMPLETELY unrelated from my post. Again stop misapplying responses to other questions to your situation. Not what you should be concerned with atm.

:Doh: