mr_bill

Newbie wants to buy a Fi sub!

Hi,

Well, i just put a nice jl audio compnent system with pioneer 4400 dvd head unit and rockford p 400 4 channel amp in my ford fusion and I'm loving it.

I want to add a single Fi sub - probably a 12". Maybe a Q as that is in my budget.

I will run the sub off my rockford rear channel bridged.

Looking for recommendations and what is the impedance of the Q sub?

I cant find that anywhere and my amp wont drive a 2 ohm load.

Im looking for sound quality and not too blow the roof off my car,

IMO you need some more juice for those fi subs, your amp is 200 watts rms bridged at 4 ohms.

200 watts is enough if you are just looking for some low end to blend with your front stage. If you don't plan on upgrading power I would save some money and get the SSD. It can sound very good in the right box.

I don't have any experience with the X, but that might work as well. Also the DCON sticks out as a great choice. This is assuming you you don't add power though. The SSD, BL, or Q would give you room to upgrade power if desired.

the q is a pretty solid sub, and they sound amazing, but i would deffinitly think about giving it more power.

Thanks so far,

I'm not opposed to more power down the road for a sub. and I went with the JL Audio C5 Components to get excellent quality so a really good sub is in my plan.

Fi Q in a sealed box?

What is the impedance of the Fi subs so I know if I can wire so it is 4 ohm for my bridged amp.? I can't find this spec anywhere on the website!

(I'm 52 by the way to put things in perspective about sound quality desired and not SPLs)

Buy it right the first time is my motto, so a bigger amp down the road is not out of the question.

SSA subs are out there too as an option?

This is my first foray into these brands. I thnk this is a good move so far to consider these subs.

I appreciate the help as I'm a home audiopihle guy, but am really enjoying my car system since the install a couple weeks ago and want the sub to fill in for the JL components.

Edited by mr_bill

get dual 2 ohm so you can wire in series for 4 ohm and then when you get a sub amp, you can either wire at 1 ohm or 4 ohm still.

I think you would be very happy with an SSD. I had an SSD on 400 watts in the house in 1-1.5 cubes (stuffed) and it sounded great.

Thanks so far,

I'm not opposed to more power down the road for a sub. and I went with the JL Audio C5 Components to get excellent quality so a really good sub is in my plan.

Fi Q in a sealed box?

What is the impedance of the Fi subs so I know if I can wire so it is 4 ohm for my bridged amp.? I can't find this spec anywhere on the website!

(I'm 52 by the way to put things in perspective about sound quality desired and not SPLs)

Buy it right the first time is my motto, so a bigger amp down the road is not out of the question.

SSA subs are out there too as an option?

This is my first foray into these brands. I thnk this is a good move so far to consider these subs.

I appreciate the help as I'm a home audiopihle guy, but am really enjoying my car system since the install a couple weeks ago and want the sub to fill in for the JL components.

The Fi Q subs sound awesome, by the way Fi Audio OEMs for SSA. I have dealt with both companies, awesome customer service!

SSA GCON dual 4ohm a good idea?

Bill

The GCON would be a good option for sure. Pretty much anything from Fi or SSA that has been mentioned will be good.

SSA GCON dual 4ohm a good idea?

Bill

you would want to use a dual 2ohm with your current amp

Got it gss, thanks for the note.

I would wire the dual 2 ohm so it presents a 4 ohm load - I think that is wired in series if I am correct.

Thinking GCON or Q right now

Edited by mr_bill

If the fi subs say dual 1 or dual 2 does that mean dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm?

If so I would order a dual 2 and wire so it presents a 4 ohm load.

The drop down on the site gives you the option for dual 1 or dual 2.

You will need the dual 2, hence can be wired in series for a 4 ohm load or wired in parallel for a one ohm load.

The drop down on the site gives you the option for dual 1 or dual 2.

You will need the dual 2, hence can be wired in series for a 4 ohm load or wired in parallel for a one ohm load.

Thank you Street - now I am getting it.

12" GCON, SSD or Q is where I am heading, in a sealed box probably - any recommendations on the finaists?

Edited by mr_bill

Well now, the more I read the more confused I get........are SKAR, SUNDOWN, SSA, FI all basically the same products and does it matter which 12" I get - priced in the $195-$285 dollar range?

Well now, the more I read the more confused I get........are SKAR, SUNDOWN, SSA, FI all basically the same products and does it matter which 12" I get - priced in the $195-$285 dollar range?

Fi OEM's for SSA but they are not the same. Forget about Skar, and Sundown makes some very nice stuff.

For sealed the GCON, SSD w/ high QTS, or Q with high QTS will be good.

So Ill order a high qts 12" Fi Q or an ICON?

Where do I find a decent sealed box?

Anywhere that has one cheap and is within spec. A sealed box is a sealed box.