Sign in to follow this  
Bizzy Beats

ascendant havoc bottoming out?

Ok so this is what i came up with. The outside dimensions are, Width: 20.5" Depth: 12.5" Hight: 28.5" (I plan on using 3/4 mdf). After port (.7869 ft^3) and driver displacement(0.16 ft^3 i hope) there will be 2.16 cubic feet. My port will be 2.75" x 11" and about 43" long, which puts tuning at 28.2ish hertz. Also my driver will be facing up and my port will be facing back toward the trunk.

Edited by Bizzy Beats

i really don't see how he's over driving the sub. years ago i have overr driven some Alpine Type R's at double their rated power at 3 cubes each and the only problem i had was thermal. taking an AA Havoc and running a 1500bd on it shouldn't cause a problem. i would say to build an enclosure at 2.5 cubes after all displacement, 28hz glue the crap out of it and use plenty of screws, make sure your x-overs and gains are set correctly and let it rip. i really think it was your enclosure that was causinng all the issues for you.

I have heard that sometimes bigger boxes can reduce power handling. is that true? if so would I be better off going with a box around 2 cubes?

it is true that larger enclosures decrease power handling. They do rec. 1.5-2.5 for a ported enclosure with the sub that you have. while it's true that a smaller enclosure has an effect on efficiency it does help mechanically control the sub thus letting the sub handle more power. i have always liked to run on the larger side for enclosures, but keep the port size on the smaller side for the back pressure (mechanical control). i would go with an enclosure that is around 2.5cubes with the port being around 30 square inches tuned to your 28hz.

can these all information that you have posted is correct. the information is following as

it's 1 12" havoc and the internal volume of the box is 2.3 cubic feet. it's tuned to 33 hertz, with a slot port that is 2"x13.5"

please tell me about this.

ok i try it once again if this is correct i shall purchase it as soon as possible.

ok i try it once again if this is correct i shall purchase it as soon as possible.

ughdunno.gif

ummmmm, what just happened?? Odd people around the world.

Please don't follow any of the advice in the last 2 pages besides BKLOFO4s....

Enclosure size effects efficiency, the smaller the enclosure the less the efficiency.

Port size doesn't effect "Back Pressure" if it is acting as a port...

Nobody runs 3X RMS power continuosly. They think they do, but they don't.

If you bottom out a driver it is due to reaching the power limits of the alignment, there is nothing wrong with this. If you make the box smaller and it handles more power, it won't be any louder than the larger box with less power. You are just turning more power into heat instead of acoustic output.

Please don't follow any of the advice in the last 2 pages besides BKLOFO4s....

Enclosure size effects efficiency, the smaller the enclosure the less the efficiency.

Port size doesn't effect "Back Pressure" if it is acting as a port...

Nobody runs 3X RMS power continuosly. They think they do, but they don't.

If you bottom out a driver it is due to reaching the power limits of the alignment, there is nothing wrong with this. If you make the box smaller and it handles more power, it won't be any louder than the larger box with less power. You are just turning more power into heat instead of acoustic output.

this is just gonna turn into a pissing match. Port volume does have an effect on how the sub plays in an enclosure, if you don't know that then you better go and do your research. who the hell ever said they run 3X the RMS power continuosly? "They think they do, but they don't" Do you think everybody is retarded? everybody knows that the RMS power of an amplifier is that of a constant load. in a real world environment you would never see that power comming from an amp unless your starting nominal load was sitting around .25 and rose to around the 1ohm area. chances are if your starting load was 1ohm that you are closer to the 5+ohm area and only getting 250rms out of that 1000rms amp. people aren't as stupid as you make them out to be. (any mathematical equations in this post are not actual numbers they are just there to give an idea) EDIT: oh yeah, it's perfecty fine to drive your sub past it's mechanical limits. just make thhe VC former slap the back plate as many times as you want.sigh.gif Edited by ChILL

I get so sick of:

"make your box smaller and you will have less impedance rise"

And

"make your box smaller and it will handle more power"

If we are going to make those suggestions, please add

"but it will reduce the efficiency and change the frequency response. Low frequency output will roll off sooner, and output at X watts will be less."

aww thats cute.

i agree, anywhere from 30-40 square inches of port would be G2G. so i would say 35wink.png

Edited by ChILL

Mike got schooled smile.png

Man, I know right... I better do some research next time...

I built a box last night 2.5 cubes and tuned to 30 hertz with 40 inches of port area. same result sub bottoms out at about the same volume.

Does not surprise me.

Just back the gain off and enjoy the headroom.

You could add a second Havoc or upgrade to a Mayhem.

SP4 would be another good choice. It is not going to be as loud as the Mayhem, but it will handle your amp without any problem and sound a lot like the Havoc. The SP4 models up as a low end monster. I have had several conversation with Scott about how it would be a VERY nice home theater sub.

The Mayhem is still my favorite subwoofer. . .

i'm pretty suprised the Havoc can't handle the 1500. they must really have some soft spiders in those things to throw the cone that far for the power he had on it.

Havoc was designed as a SQ woofer but can get loud, since it has decent BL force and good excursion.

Havoc was designed as a SQ woofer but can get loud, since it has decent BL force and good excursion.

yeah, i just really figured it should have handled that 1500 easily since the rms of the sub is 1250. guess i was wrong. i've known many other "SQ" oriented subs that would take it without breaking a sweat and thats what i was basing my assumptions off from Edited by ChILL