dbsupra

sub placement to avoid loading/unloading issues with port

Designing a new enclosure for a Fi Q18.

I want to be sure that sub placement would not cause any issues with unloading thru the port or odd loading issues off the port wall. It is only a single sub, so I dont believe the loading off the port wall would be an issue.

Here is a quick sketch up of the enclosure. The guide mark is the mounting depth, and is approx 4" from the back plate to the port wall. I would prefer center placement just for aesthetics but functionally I believe the position closest to the exterior port vent and above the port wall may be the best bet.

Thanks for any insight

q18placement.jpg

how about increasing port area enough to get that port to run to the other side of the box... Don't forget to factor in the acoustical length around the corner and up a couple inches past the exit of the port from within the box.

I considered that, but that endend up being almost 5 cubes ports displacement lol.

Check this. The farthest line is the most reasonable I could go, and even then it would place the back plate even closer height wise.

The closest line is actually looking good. It tunes it about 2hz higher, but only 1hz higher f3 than the original plan plus about a 1db gain from 30hz-40hz. I know, it is just modeling and not 100% real world due to cabin gain. Just looking at the differences. Maybe I can use slight offset to the left from center position with the shortest port and be far enough from port entry? Or would I still be better off with the original plan of far right placement with original port?

q18placementdiffport.jpg

Edited by dbsupra

OK I cleaned it up a bit. This is the new revision.

Thoughts?

q18shortport.jpg

If you're not competing, put it anywhere you want; your ear will never hear a difference. If you're competing, you'll have to do some testing.