Hondabiker95

**Is this under warranty?**

Ok so today my dual 1 SSD 18 stopped working for seemingly no reason during very low volume music. The sub is not frozen. I checked the sub with a battery and it did nothing, checked all wires etc. etc. I will check the coils on my multimeter when I get to work tomorrow. The box is build to the specs of the sub 7cu.ft. @ 32hz. Powered with a Fosgate t1500-bd (2ohms and very conservative gain). The coils look normal to me, not black or even dark in any way. Sub doesn't and never did smell like burnt coils. I'm thinking the coil's glue failed. I'm stumped on this really as I've been good to this sub and only had it for a few months. I hope Fi will take care of me and warrant the sub. Also if this is under warranty, do you guys know if shipping would be covered?

first step is to pull the sub and find out how it exactly it failed....

where is your bass boost set? where is your SSF set?

Any further examination of the sub would require ripping the cone. I took the sub out of the box and looked at the coils, they are the same color they've always been. Rockford's SSF's aren't adjustable it's just "on" from what I read just now that is somewhere from 25 to 30hz.. I don't use any bass boost on the amp, just the included Punch EQ. When I set my gain, I had the knob maxed out, so I wasn't dealing with any clipping issues. Regardless, tomorrow when I meter the sub, if it is a bad coil it's not under warranty right?

If I have the correct model, you have 1500 watts at 2 ohms + punch EQ maxed (+18dB at 45 Hz) on a 1000 watt sub (maybe 1200 if you got the cooling option). And that is the thermal rating. Mechanical limits can be reached long before you thermally kill it depending on the box design.

I would guess you killed the leads from too much mechanical excursion. . .

Maybe you are lucky and something else happened.

If I have the correct model, you have 1500 watts at 2 ohms + punch EQ maxed (+18dB at 45 Hz) on a 1000 watt sub (maybe 1200 if you got the cooling option). And that is the thermal rating. Mechanical limits can be reached long before you thermally kill it depending on the box design.

I would guess you killed the leads from too much mechanical excursion. . .

Maybe you are lucky and something else happened.

If you set your gain with the punch EQ maxed like I did, so long as you're not clipping, then the bass knob simply allows you to cut bass from your music when you want to. Like I said I am being very conservative with the gain knob, Also considering the failure happened while playing the sub at about 10%, I highly doubt it was a mechanical failure due to over excursion. It's been super hot here lately, maybe that has something to do with this. Either way, I guess tomorrow when I check it out, if it's a bad coil(s) I will just buy a recone.

refreching to see someone who has taken time and researched before throwing a system togather, .. sucks your having issues......

i just get so tired of seeing fucktards, crying and screaming because they bought a used sub and they were told it was a BTL and it was un blowable so they put there hommies planet audio 10jigga watt amp on it free air with max settings and it smoked and i want a new one now!

Odds are you burnt the leads up..the subsonic filters suck ass on the rockford amps.

You'll have to pay for a recone..warranty does not cover open or burnt coils, just manufacturing defect.

refreching to see someone who has taken time and researched before throwing a system togather, .. sucks your having issues......

i just get so tired of seeing fucktards, crying and screaming because they bought a used sub and they were told it was a BTL and it was un blowable so they put there hommies planet audio 10jigga watt amp on it free air with max settings and it smoked and i want a new one now!

1.21+gigawatts.+What+the+hell+is+a+gigawatt_a5d382_3442886.jpg

1.21+gigawatts.+What+the+hell+is+a+gigawatt_a5d382_3442886.jpg

is this image working for every one else but me>?

we get people like that all the time at work also lol. They come in with cheap subs on a cheap amp distorting far beyond all imaginable hell. My boss charges them $35 for us to stick a multimeter on locked up subs to check them xD.

Odds are you burnt the leads up..the subsonic filters suck ass on the rockford amps.

You'll have to pay for a recone..warranty does not cover open or burnt coils, just manufacturing defect.

I did notice that even with the SSF on, the sub would still play frequencies well below 25hz. that may have been what happened. However, one coil reads 3ohms on the multi and the other reads nothing at all. the sub was a Dual 1. Guess it's time for a recone.

What does your electrical system consist of?

Stock 110A alt, big 3 in 1/0, stock batt up front and a big ass truck (18 wheeler) battery in the back. Not quite up to spec, yes but I think it should have had no problem pushing 1000 watts. (like I said, I knew it was my weakest point and I kept the gain under control accordingly). I never got a chance to hook the amp up to my co-workers DD-1, but there wasnt any audible distortion. But the only thing that sucks is I had the sub on craigslist and was ready to upgrade to a BL when I get my new car. :/

recone it.. it will be worth it.. and you can still sell it... sucks about the SSF.

shit happends....

DD1= cockmonkey IMO.

I did notice that even with the SSF on, the sub would still play frequencies well below 25hz. that may have been what happened. However, one coil reads 3ohms on the multi and the other reads nothing at all. the sub was a Dual 1. Guess it's time for a recone.

SSF slopes down. it does not just cutoff anything and everything below set point.

The 3 ohm side is probably on a limb.

I never got a chance to hook the amp up to my co-workers DD-1

Sad state of affairs when an installer wants to use a DD-1. It is perhaps one of the biggest rip offs EVER in car audio and considering the ass hats that make money in this industry that is saying a lot.

The installers at my shop don't use a DD-1.

I'll put it this way, find people with the loudest systems in your area. Ask them who used the DD-1.... You'll be surprised at how many didn't use it. wink.png

But yes, it is very nice to have someone understand it's not the woofers fault that it broke. :) You're more then welcome to stay here man.

Edited by bassahaulic

time to buy a recone :)

I should clarify what is sad. Marketing is winning over science. Not you or your buddies fault that you believed someone, it's just a shame that it's a sham.

Check to make sure the tinsel leads of the bad coil didn't simply come loose. Might be as simple as resoldering the lead and then readjusting the system to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If you didn't actually DD-1 then you don't know if you were clipping. But I blew a couple N2s by burning up the tinsels playing too far below tuning on relatively low power. Got the non-hixmax coils and tuned lower now I have no issues.

If you have any structural issues with your enclosure that would result in a higher effective tuning that would result in this same outcome

If you didn't actually DD-1 then you don't know if you were clipping.

It won't tell you either. Biggest scam in car audio atm. Shitty tasting kool aid if you ask me.

Good luck dude. Hopefully its an easy fix.