Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

Now shipping!

Photo
- - - - -

Gcon 12 vs Sa 12

Sundown 12 sa gcon ssa

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 C.Harrison24

C.Harrison24

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

So here is my situation, I am looking for a single 12 setup to put into my vehicle I listen to mainly hip hop I want to get the louder of the 2. This is mainly just so I can get something cheap to put in my beater for my last year of my tour in Korea I have been trying to wait it out to get subs for when I get back to the states but it's driving me nuts lol, I am trying to keep the cost of the subwoofer to under 200 and also what amp would you recommend for either 1 for around 200 thanks in advance for any help

#2 C.Harrison24

C.Harrison24

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Also this will be in a small hatchback

#3 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 67,690 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Louder will depend more on the enclosure. What do you have for power?

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

I was. Super proud I didn't shit my pants. I was sure it was going to happen.

We sit on the same bench. Your "asshole" just makes me curious.

#4 C.Harrison24

C.Harrison24

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have not yet ordered the amp as I was trying to decide on witch sub to go with first and as for the enclosure I was gonna try around 2 cubes tuned to about 32-34 hertz

#5 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 67,690 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Personally I'd rather own the Gcon.

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

#6 ClevelandFreeman

ClevelandFreeman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Why do you say this?

Edited by ClevelandFreeman, 11 July 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#7 jay-cee

jay-cee

Local Neighborhood Playa

• SSA Regular

• 9,925 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars, Music & Food
  • Vehicle:1997 Acura 3.5RL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

You will get a lot of people picking the Gcon over the SA-12, does it mean it will be louder no. Honestly there is no way to tell which will be louder in your setup unless you buy both subs and test them out.

I would say flip a coin and call it a day
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
Highs: (2) SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4
Mids: (2) Eminence Alpha-6C
Subs:
Amps:
Electrical: Big 3

#8 ricksi30

ricksi30

Doesn't know anything

• SSA Regular

• 7,047 posts
  • Vehicle:Infiniti I30

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Chances that you will hear a noticeable difference in output on equal power is slim. They are both good subs but personally I would also rather get the GCON.

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
Component amp: PPI Bk800.4
Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 5 cubes tuned to 34hz
Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge

Electrical: Stock alternator, Duralast Gold starter battery, Duralast Platinum secondary battery

Team SSA

#9 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 67,690 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Why do you say this?

In the box you describe the Gcon will have a nicer response and be as loud if not louder across the board; however the difference really will be minimal to the ear. My expectations noting where they are built that it is more likely for the Gcon to be more consistent from unit to unit as well. I have no issue with the build quality of the Sundown, but my bias is logical based on manufacturing location. In it's price class the Gcon is a great driver, in particular for the box that you are planning on making.

Add to that the hardwork that Aaron and Mark put into making this site available to all and I think it's a no brainer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 StreetLegal

StreetLegal

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I agree with M5, Gcon for this app.
Never Argue With A Fool, People Might Not Know The Difference.
Car audio is a hobby, and we are enthusiasts.

#11 edouble101

edouble101

SSA Respected

• SSA Supporter L1

• 3,499 posts
  • Interests:photography, motorcycling, internet forums, tinkering and building stuff!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Both companies offer a great product and excellent customer service.

Based on manufacturer recommendations you will be able to use the SA-12 in smaller enclosures than the 12" gcon.

SA-12 1.5-2.0^3ft @ 35hz.

GCON optimal 2.5-3.0^3ft @ 28-33hz.

You said you wanted to run 2.0^3ft tuned to ~35hz, the SA-12 fits the your design goals. There are literally hundreds of installs out there with SA subs hitting high numbers (you said you want loud). They are a proven performer.

#12 Quentin Jarrell

Quentin Jarrell

SSA Staple Level 2

• Vendors
  • 4,516 posts
  • Interests:Direct Sound Solutions

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Instead of just choosing a volume and tuning, if you go with a BB4 alignment (basic boom box with a peak inresponce close to rolloff) with minimum group delay the two sub's would model as followed. ASSuming posted specs are correct

Sa-12
.95 cubic feet
33.71 hz tuning
30.02 hz f3

Gcon
2.19 cubic feet
31.5 hz tuning
27.72 hz f3

a7687de9-7971-490e-b092-ef5a848bedf5_zps

#13 armykyle1

armykyle1

Young Grasshopper

• SSA Regular
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Never used a Gcon. But I'm sure SSA subs are good quality since they're made by the same company that made my BTL's

I do have hands with SA12's and I can tell you without a doubt its a great sub for the money.
Team XS Power
Team Heavy Hertz
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/armykyle1
Build- http://www.soundsolu...__fromsearch__1

#14 C.Harrison24

C.Harrison24

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Is there any reason the gcon takes up to 21 business days to build whereas the sundown doesn't show any

#15 Quentin Jarrell

Quentin Jarrell

SSA Staple Level 2

• Vendors
  • 4,516 posts
  • Interests:Direct Sound Solutions

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Sundown is built in bulk overseas and ssa is built as ordered in the US

a7687de9-7971-490e-b092-ef5a848bedf5_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

#1 Car Audio Forum Since 2001!