Sign in to follow this  
Pimp-Juice

Box building help

I know this is a dumb question, ive never claimed to be smart. When it comes to subs ive always been a pay and play kinda guy. I want to learn more about car audio and how to do all of it. So ive recently started building sealed boxes. The three ive built turned out really good in my opinion. The problem I have now is, im building a box for myself and i want to port it. I have 2 LI 12's. Any advice anyone could or would give is greatly appreciated. The specs for an LI 12 is on average 2.00 cubes, 30 inches of port and tuned to 28-35. My question is, for 2, do i build the box at 4.00, 60 inches of port and tuned to 56-70 Ive never built a box to spec, but i want these to be the best they can be.

Again, im sorry for the long spill and dumb question.

Well you had it right all the way up to the end....haha. 4.0 cubes with 60" of port and tuned around 32 Hz will get you the results you are looking for.

Thank you very much! Do you have any suggestions on how to make that happen? Cause the program im using i get the cubes and hz right but i only have like 26 inches of port and the box is 30''x25''x25'' lol

By 26" of port do you mean the length? When I said you need 60", I was referring to square inches, as in the surface area of the port. The depth would then be determined by the tuning. To get this figure you can use any box building software.

Yea i was talking about length. Ive been using this calculator. http://reaudio.com/box.php

Using it, for one sub, if you enter (from top to bottom- leaving wood thickness alone) 20,15,18.75,2,11 it gives right at 30 inches of port. Length that is. I thought that was what i was aiming for lol.

If you enter 33,20,17,3.25,11 it gives you right at 60 square port area. what do i need and whats better? port area or length?

Thank you IA2, youve been a big help. I dont mean to be a bother, i just want my shit to be right. I can build all day long, i just cant design for shit lol

I really don't like that calculator. If you have to use one, use torres calculator.

Yea i was talking about length. Ive been using this calculator. http://reaudio.com/box.php

Using it, for one sub, if you enter (from top to bottom- leaving wood thickness alone) 20,15,18.75,2,11 it gives right at 30 inches of port. Length that is. I thought that was what i was aiming for lol.

If you enter 33,20,17,3.25,11 it gives you right at 60 square port area. what do i need and whats better? port area or length?

Thank you IA2, youve been a big help. I dont mean to be a bother, i just want my shit to be right. I can build all day long, i just cant design for shit lol

I think you are misunderstanding the port calculation. Your box should be a total of 4 cu ft with a port surface area of 60 square inches. i.e. 4" wide x 15" tall. The tuning of the box will be determined by the length or depth of your port. I think you should download a program called winisd ...just Google it and I think it will help you understand what I'm talking about.

I get now what you mean as far as 60 square inches. I still cant make what i want in my head to come up right on the calculators. Ive spent the last 4 hours playing with winisd AND the torres one. Once i get port length and the tuning right, the box is either 5+ cubes, or well below 4. Im on the verge of giving up and just going back with sealed.

What are your max dimensions?

max? uhm... 60" of width, 48" high and 25"deep. Id like to keep it under 25" high tho. I got lots of room for more subs, but no money :(

What are your max dimensions?

Why do you ask?