Flwatersaver

my New Sp4 reads 2.2ohm With 3 diffeent DMM

My new SP4 18 reads 2.2 ohm on both coils

Fluke Dmm leads touched it reads 0.1 the Sub reads 2.3 ohm

Craftsman DMM leads Touched it reads 0.0 the sub reads 2.2

Cheap harbor freight meter leads touched it reads 0.1 The sub reads 2.2

My other two SP4's Both read 1.4 ohm.

I have been waiting on a response from FI Car audio.

I Hope they come through and fix this.

Anyone have this issue too?

Sounds like you have a dual 4 ohm coil SP4. **EDIT didn't realize this wasn't an option**

Just remember, you cannot measure voice coil impedance with a single DMM. You are measuring DCR, which is much different...

Sounds like you have a dual 4 ohm coil SP4.

Just remember, you cannot measure voice coil impedance with a single DMM. You are measuring DCR, which is much different...

Care to elaborate on this?

Impedance comes from the reactance to an AC signal. It changes with frequency.

DCR is a measure of DC resistance. Not impedance.

The impedance rating given by a manufactuer is an average.

You cannot measure impednace with a DMM because it will only measure DCR, unless you use it in conjunction with other test equipment.

Impedance is also heavily affected by your alignment, actually moreso than the driver's average impedance on it's own...

OK so if i am measuring DCR and get 2.2 ohm

But on the other two woofers I get 1.4

The question is, Is there an issue?

Impedance is AC resistance and reactance. AC curance causes the coil to read as both a open and closed circuit, which varies with frequency

Re(electrical resistance weather it be series or parallel) or DCR(direct current resistance) is used for multiple coils(dual one, dual two) to indicate the Re of each coil.

Normally Scott uses .6 or . 7 ohm coils. He may have went with a different DCR coil but he would have to answer that.

Or the coil may be bifilar, or an exotic breaking coil and it might have been wired wrong on the former from the supplier.

Maybe Scott will chime in, Did the coils change from March 28, 2012, when i ordered the first two? I am ready to order my 4th woofer. But if things have changed I don't know what i am going to do.

Quantity Name Item number Unit price Total price

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 SP418 0024118 USD 564.00 USD 1,128.00

Ohm: dual 2

Cooling: yes +$30

Space_Spider: yes +$40

Dustcap: white

Quantity Name Item number Unit price Total price

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 SP418 0024118 USD 564.00 USD 564.00

Ohm: dual 2

Cooling: yes +$30

Space_Spider: yes +$40

Dustcap: white

Hey, just looked and I couln't find an option for a dual 4 SP4. So if you are truly reading 2+ ohms DCR per coil, something is funky...

I know you have done this already, but are you sure you are reading one coil at a time? If you read both coils in series, you may end up over 2 ohms..

Hey, just looked and I couln't find an option for a dual 4 SP4. So if you are truly reading 2+ ohms DCR per coil, something is funky...

I know you have done this already, but are you sure you are reading one coil at a time? If you read both coils in series, you may end up over 2 ohms..

Yea one coil at a time

Hmm, something sounds funny then... Couldn't tell you more unless they changed the design somewhat...

Sounds fine to me... I would get 1.7-2.2 on my fi built subs. Within 10% tollerance iirc sounds fine

Is there a high xmax option. That would cause an increase in re if the same gauge wire is used.

Funny how i Email FI audio about a basket color and they email me back fast. But if you have an issue you get no response.

you have to understand it is JUST scott filling orders, building subs, etc etc, With all the shit going down at the buildhouse you have to give him some slack,

1 guy really? I knew one guy was recovering from surgery but I thought there were more there than that.

Crap it might be another month for me then.

Regardless it's obvious the new subs are reading different than the old ones. I'd like to know what you find out.

Looks like i may be switching to back DC Subs.

I was Really happy with the first two.

Sure would have been nice to know things have changed.

How would it make YOU fell if your best friend lost his leg, and had to machine, assemble and ship out tons of subs a day with only you?

I guess if you like off the shelf Chinese garbage you can switch to DC subs... Which are Scott's designs/

If it is a d2 2.2 ohms is perfectly fine, Like I said mine would read 1.7-2.2 ohms on any given day do to temperature, weather conditions and how they are sitting.

Edited by Julian

Just be proud that DC and now SSA has a line of subs for every application...

And just this year, DC reevaluated all of their sub lines and now have the m2 line.

The prices have gone up about 40% compared to the original.

Of course i run DC per my certain application but i view things on both sides and I do not agree that DC, in any way, sells garbage.

They may not be as hands on as a buildhouse but that's common sense...

Besides Fi and Mach5Audio having the ability to do their own designs "in house", are we to need or be forced to flock to these companies?

No...

America is, not maybe, but is the most over-saturated country that sells repetitive car audio technology to the masses.. but there IS a use for each company...

Certain applications for certain people can greatly narrow down the choices they will use to go with a certain drivercompany.

I know there is one or two companies that float around here that leave a skarce feeling in our minds... and those stories are mostly floating around the history of the customer service or the story of the owner himself... And if that is the argument, Rusty from DC is not a bad guy with poor intentions.

Iwe can go into a never-ending debate about this company and that company but seriously, let's not...

I ran DC xl's before, Now that they have a level 6 with 4 inch coils, that may be the route i go. I had full intentions of ordering a 4th sp4. But if the coils have changed, why order a 4th one, i would need two re-cones for the two I already have.

Something isn't right. D2s will measure 1.4. Not 2.2 Ohms. Did you purchase them altogether or seperately?

Thanks!

I say put this issue in the hands of good faith. Make a copy of this thread and put it in the the box the sub came in and ship it and the sub to Fi. Also on a clean, blank sheet of paper write your name and a phone number you can be reached at, in big bold letters, and include it in the shipment. If there is an issue with the sub it will be taken care of. If not, you'll be getting a call. Good luck and good speed.