Sign in to follow this  
whitetrash84

Used xcon 12" still current production model?

I just sent payment for a used xcon and I'm wondering if someone could help me out. By the pics, is this a current model and if i were to order another 12" new from ssa would it be a matching sub? Just that pics of others seem to have a black spider on them.

http://i146.photobuc...9-38-01_429.jpg

http://i146.photobuc...19-36-51_73.jpg

http://i146.photobuc...9-36-22_312.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by whitetrash84

That is the current model. We are progressively (like what I did there? ;) ) moving all our drivers over to Nomex spiders (yellow ones you see in the photo there). ;)

Well that was a fast response! Thanks and I'll be ordering a matching d2 12" after this one shows up!

They will be replacing my 15" BTL N2 d1 on a Sundown SAZ-3000D. Hopefully they will do well sealed off from trunk and forward fired/ported, at least that's what set-up I'm going to try first. About 5 cubes after displacement tuned around 28, sound good? Loved the BTL with 8" aero port just want to try something different.

Well that was a fast response! Thanks and I'll be ordering a matching d2 12" after this one shows up!

They will be replacing my 15" BTL N2 d1 on a Sundown SAZ-3000D. Hopefully they will do well sealed off from trunk and forward fired/ported, at least that's what set-up I'm going to try first. About 5 cubes after displacement tuned around 28, sound good? Loved the BTL with 8" aero port just want to try something different.

Sounds great! I bet you will love it.

:)

That box sounds like it will be good, just brace it well as just like the BTL can, the Xcon's can move some air and are heavy.

The more I think about this wish it was a d1 so I could end up with 1ohm total. Now thinking about recone, but hate to recone a perfectly good sub, maybe it will get damaged in shipping? LOL. Think it would be a noticeable difference 3000w@1ohm or 1600w@2ohm? I've got my BTL @2 ohm, tried it @.5 ohm and not enough electrical to support it, dropped into 11's quick. I've got a Camry with a regular battery and a DC power 270 xp. I'm looking into a d3400 underhood, really dont want battery in trunk, will sit low enough with 150 lbs of xcons and box!

1600w vs 3000w is enough to notice. Order your new xcon a d1 and recone the other one.

If you build your enclosure out of birch plywood you can shave of weight vs a mdf enclosure.

Try it with the D3400 underhood and see how it does.

How do you have your electrical wired?

....and as much port area as possible with those xcons.

I've got a single run of 1/0 knu kolossus flex ofc from battery to amp, big 3 done with the same wire. Set my gains with my dd1 and with the BTL @ 2ohm close to clipping voltage is right around 13.

My plan as of right this moment is to make a single 12 ported box, 2.5ish @28hz, and run test it out @1ohm. Then recone to d1 and order another d1.

Luckily I enjoy making boxes and have no problem selling them for $ on Craigslist, guess kids these days don't take shops classes. In the last month I've sold off all 4 SA8 v1.5's in 3 different boxes. Came out pretty well $ wise, profits paid for the Xcon I just bought!

....and as much port area as possible with those xcons.

14 square in per foot good enough or do I need more? Also tossed around the idea of using a couple of 6" aeros, which would be close to 11 in2 / ft. The more I use aero's the more I like them, but for the single 12" box I'm going to try kerf port.

I dont know why you are stuck on tuning at 28hz. To get a nice bump at tuning 32hz is looking much better for the xcon.

There isnt much of a difference between 4 cubes and 5 cubes for dual 12" xcon. 5 cubes has slightly lower xmax at tuning and slightly lower group delay. The group delay for this driver is really high, no matter what size enclosure. Weird for a "sq" driver. 5 cubes will give you a smaller port length compared to 4 cubes. So probably 5 is best. 80^2 inches of port area looks good, about 30 m/s peak.

If you want an aero, 10"er would work 33.85" in length.

If I had your car I would do subs up (facing trunk lid) port to the driver's side. You would need to try a couple different orientations but I would start there. Just my opinion.

I dont know why you are stuck on tuning at 28hz. To get a nice bump at tuning 32hz is looking much better for the xcon.

Yeah I see your point, just from prior experience these Camrys peak @ 28 and I like me some lows! But haven't really sat down and come up with dimensions yet. More than likely will be tuned somewhere 30-33.

32 Hz may be easier to reach, on your box : shorter port !

I loved the Xcons at 32 Hz, but I've never eared the 12", only some 15"s.

I did a little measuring and sat down, came up with:

5 cubic feet

15.85 in2 of port per cube

tuned to 32 hz

My question in my sketchup, the port width is 6 1/4" down the middle, should it be 6 1/4" on each side where it splits or 3 1/8'? I've always done it 1/2 the width both ways but never been sure.

xcon.jpg

Full port size all the way through. Not sure where you got the idea of doing half. When you do the split you measure the physical length and split in half but not the width.

I didn't check your calculations but be sure you are measuring down the middle of the port and not making the port length and physical length. Also not sure if you took end correction into consideration.

Lastly if you go into options in sketch up you can change the measurements to decimal so it won't display in foot inch. Makes it easier for me anyway when I'm designing.