Sign in to follow this  
hardrock2401

Aero port questions

Last 4 years and last 7 boxes I have all used slot ports. I have never even looked into aeros before so I got a few questions and would like some support on what others have told me about them.

As of right now I am using the torez calculator to try to help me with this. The box Im designing is for a 21 warden, I would like to have 115+ sq in of port for it tuned to low 30s.

I have been told that flared ports somehow equal a bigger straight port, example I was told that a 6in flare would equal a 9in straight port. Im guessing the torez calculator goes by straight ports that are not flared.

I am getting confused with all the diff info I have been given and would like any kind of help towards this.

if you are using a 6" dia. aero port then calculate the port area based on 6" diameter.

For the length use this calculator http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html the total length of the entire port would be the "flare length port required".

Ok, and one other question...do aero ports require half the port area as slots? Another thing I was told lol, say like a slot port I want 100sq in of port..aero would only require 50? I thought port area was port area regarless of the way the air left the box

I am not sure of the ratio of port area of slot to aero (or round), but I am certain its not half..lol..

Rule of thumb for slot ports is 12 to 16 in sq per cuft.

And if I can remember correctly for round ports it's 9 to 12 in sq per cu ft.

Maybe some one can chime in on that.

The flares are what make the aero port efficient as it reduces the turbulence at entry and exit of the port.

As far as port area and "Rule Of Thumb" recommendations, I would say you can get away with 25-30% less port are of a standard slot port.

I have used and currently use aero ports and have great luck with them.

Thanks for both of you guys replies, I am having redic trouble getting this box Im designing close to what I want it at. Good chance I will be posting a thread asking for advice on that little later today as Im about to give up lol