juggernautxtr

Am I crazy? box build

For years i have had this idea for a box design, i always asked others what they thought of the idea.

Well here I am again yrs later wondering if some kid really good at box design would want to put it to the test.

this is a totally sealed box design with a tube inside the box 1/4-1/2 of the box volume and same diameter as your drivers mount rim.

this tube is just that a tube, a directional enforcer of the sound wave to the back of the full box.

I was always told it was a stupid and fruity idea, any you kids wanna play around with it on a computer model and see what happens?

maybe I am crazy but the idea to me is it would give a little more crunch on that SPL meter since you are forcing the soundwave in one direction.

put a form tube in front of a sub in a wall design and watch the numbers on the meter drop and drop...

Narrowing the front wave direction causes cancellation like crazy!

So, same thing may apply here.

put a form tube in front of a sub in a wall design and watch the numbers on the meter drop and drop...

Narrowing the front wave direction causes cancellation like crazy!

So, same thing may apply here.

wouldn't be channeling the sound wave outside the box(keeping the sound wave away from the meter), more like the wave not being allowed to disperse until it hit the back of the box.

kinda like firing subs to the back of a trunk,

bouncing the sound wave back towards the front or direction you want the wave to travel. most likely towards the meter.

Do yourself a favor and compute the length of a 40Hz sound wave. ;)

do yourself a favor

read and learn

http://www.realtraps.com/art_waves.htm

Well that's not a good way to get help...

it not a good idea to assume someone has no clue either from the given remark.

it was this article that also gave me the idea.the remark given implies i am stupid and clueless when the reality seems just the complete opposite.

Q. what do you think a controlled blast wave is? A. it is controlled pressure wave. sound opperates in a similar manner.

because he simply ignored the fact sound reflects off of surfaces.

the idea behind the box is to try and illimanate sound cancelation before it leaves the given area thus if the idea will work in reality would increase sound pressure level.

the wave lentgh has nothing to do with the reflection of sound.

Edited by juggernautxtr

i think you should try it, since apparently you've done some research on said topic. i would also suggest to stop calling us kids.

i think you should try it, since apparently you've done some research on said topic. i would also suggest to stop calling us kids.

This ^^

At a bar so i'm not clicking your link. Perhaps you should explain "channeling" a long wavelength to yourself

Since the box is so small compared to the wavelengths of this different bass notes, how can a tube prevent the combining of compression and rarefaction? I dont see how that will eliminate any reflection to prevent cancellation. I would think cancellation would still occur in the tube, as well as the rest of the box but idk.

At a bar so i'm not clicking your link. Perhaps you should explain "channeling" a long wavelength to yourself

At a bar at noon on Monday. I wonder what you do on Fridays.

Since the box is so small compared to the wavelengths of this different bass notes, how can a tube prevent the combining of compression and rarefaction? I dont see how that will eliminate any reflection to prevent cancellation. I would think cancellation would still occur in the tube, as well as the rest of the box but idk.

Change cancellation to interference and it is even easier to understand.

Wow, short sighted are we? ...imagine that. Flying to Germany today to lead an international meeting. A few drinks makes sleeping on the plane easier which in turn makes the jet lag minimal.

Change cancellation to interference and it is even easier to understand.

Wow, short sighted are we? ...imagine that. Flying to Germany today to lead an international meeting. A few drinks makes sleeping on the plane easier which in turn makes the jet lag minimal.

You dont have to explain your drinking habits to me. I might drink at noon too if I didnt have other responsibilities.

Wow everyone is so testy on this site. Cue AC/DC "Have a drink on me" :) I am off today also, but I have to go back to work tomorrow. No brews for me unfortunately. I have to say that is one of life's little pleasures to be off during the week and go into a bar and grill then order a frosty mug with lunch. It sure makes the normal dudes mouths water:)

Edited by Heartdisease

Wow everyone is so testy on this site. Cue AC/DC "Have a drink on me" smile.png I am off today also, but I have to go back to work tomorrow. No brews for me unfortunately. I have to say that is one of life's little pleasures to be off during the week and go into a bar and grill then order a frosty mug with lunch. It sure makes the normal dudes mouths water:)

Plump booties make my mouth water.... not sure if it's an allergic reaction though?lol

Ill agree its testy in here, that being said, someone coming in and grouping us all as "kids" will do that to a thread i suppose.....

Only testy based on history. When a shit talker shows up he should expect shit to be thrown back on him.

And to promote the testy portion, even though I was at the bar I am still awake. Time for sleep now though. Killer meeting day one and tomorrow there is more.

ummm the only person around here calling any body "kids" is you.

don't put words where the word is none exsistant

assume = ass u me

and i don't appreciate being called one, i also don't appreciate being called stupid as the phrase "do yourself a favor" = educate yourself

case closed. can i get back TO MY DISCUSSION?

For years i have had this idea for a box design, i always asked others what they thought of the idea.

Well here I am again yrs later wondering if some kid really good at box design would want to put it to the test.

this is a totally sealed box design with a tube inside the box 1/4-1/2 of the box volume and same diameter as your drivers mount rim.

this tube is just that a tube, a directional enforcer of the sound wave to the back of the full box.

I was always told it was a stupid and fruity idea, any you kids wanna play around with it on a computer model and see what happens?

maybe I am crazy but the idea to me is it would give a little more crunch on that SPL meter since you are forcing the soundwave in one direction.

As you can see, I pointed out two instances where you used the term "kid/kids". I don't mind being corrected, and would admit if I was incorrect.

Also, I never called anybody 'kids", I simply asked you to stop referring the members on this site as "kids".

I'm a little confused by your third statement, could you explain when I ever used the term "assume" or called you one? I'm actually one of the nicer members around here, as you can tell by my initial statement of me simply requesting you to give it a try.

I really think you should point out who your statements are referencingtoo as your response to me is clearly not aimed at me.

the reason I am asking is sound needs air to make its travel, the basis of the tube is to keep air outside the tube from tranferring the sound wave till the sound reaches that point. it only means milisecs in our world,but milisecs wins races everyday. I am thinking that it may help control the sound wave direction on rebound.

I have seen it done on smaller drivers(BOSE has done it), but I have never seen on a large one.except for a bazooka tubes.crazy huge and ugly.

the questions i don't have answers to

too much air movement to bother in a somewhat run of the mill normal box?

could I cause a double shock wave and cancel out? some of you guys are way better at number crunching air displacement

has anyone else seen it done?

2 ssa gcon?

2 sundown sa12?

I watched this guys stuff for a few months nothing he builds is in a direct line with another driver. they are always angled even if just the slightest degee's in the same box.Avoiding cancelation.

thus i copied his trend and all the boxes with drivers I have built have never fired straight ahead or backwards, always angled from each other even if just slightly, and have always had better numbers (5-8 decibles sometimes) than others using similar equipment or better a couple times(most likely electrical issues or bad install).

or am i just being lucky?

the reason I am asking is sound needs air to make its travel, the basis of the tube is to keep air outside the tube from tranferring the sound wave till the sound reaches that point. it only means milisecs in our world,but milisecs wins races everyday. I am thinking that it may help control the sound wave direction on rebound.

And I'm really failing to see the benefit to that, especially once you understand the relationship between the wavelengths involved and the dimensions we deal with in car audio/subwoofer enclosures. M5 brought up wavelength earlier, and your defensive response was to link to an article that had zero relevance to the topic at hand. You need to revisit his earlier post and think about it a little harder rather having a kneejerk reaction.

I watched this guys stuff for a few months nothing he builds is in a direct line with another driver. they are always angled even if just the slightest degee's in the same box.Avoiding cancelation.

If he was doing this with subwoofers then he was doing nothing but wasting his time.

thus i copied his trend and all the boxes with drivers I have built have never fired straight ahead or backwards, always angled from each other even if just slightly, and have always had better numbers (5-8 decibles sometimes) than others using similar equipment or better a couple times

There is absolutely zero possibility that it made any audible difference, much less a 5-8db difference. Zero. There were other factors at play.

I still honestly have no idea what you are even trying to propose nor the benefits you are assuming you will have. I'll admit I have a hard time putting down the science blinders, but I also haven't been shown why I should.