Sign in to follow this  
KyleBrown

UFO BTL's with 6 spoke 18" baskets

Reconing my 15's to 18's.

Plan on using 6 spoke 18" baskets, linear roll spiders, not set on cones and possibly a coil with a slightly bigger WW. Any possible issues I might see? Suggestions comments?

You mention linear spiders and longer winding width...any particular reason not to use FI recones ?

Fi's recones are only for 12 spoke baskets. I'm not a huge fan of the stock spiders.

Trying something different.

Your going to have measure the gap and calculate clearance with your proposed WW.

Are the stock BTL spiders progressive? If you were aiming SPL, I would stay away from linear spiders in fear of mechanical damage...

Also, do you have the baskets yet? New 12 spokes are pretty cheap really...

Yes stock are progressive but I don't like the compliance... This is more of a daily deal. I'm trading my three 15" 12 spokes for them.

I know at least one person who has done this exact build with ufo motors. They had great results from what he tells me. Seeing if there's anyone else out there lol.

Well, good luck. I know the guys at FI know what they are doing when they design these drivers. Performance is usually pretty well optimized...

I am also very skeptical of anyone's personal opinions of driver performance in relation to car audio without proper measurements. And I don't mean a Termlab... Everything sounds great 99% of the time to people...

You definitely don't want to use a longer coil wind especially with a linear roll spider.

Linear spiders by nature suck after about 12mm of movement..they just don't work right. It's almost as bad as a poorly designed progressive spider that pops/cracks etc.

10x3 spider in and of itself just isn't the greatest idea

I'll stick with the stock hixmax coil ww. But I'll use a 8 layer fw instead of stock. We'll put them on the woofer tester to compare them to the stock post break in results.

Murphy can get ya straight man. just give him a call vs this

Edited by AlanHall

Did a few days ago, well unrelated to this.

Edited by armykyle1

Sign in to follow this