xxbobbyfinxx

Fi SSD 10 (High Qts)

I was looking at the video on the Technical forum and it said everything is explained on the Technical forum in great detail, but I didn't see anything except that video and I didn't want to skim through and try to find where they mention High Qts.

Basically, I have a truck and I can fit 6" mounting depth subwoofers in my sealed box. The Fi SSD 10 already requires the low space of .2-.6 cubes so what exactly does the High Qts option do?

High Qts is chosen when you want to use the sub soley in a sealed enclosure.

I understand that much, but how and why? What changes about the subwoofer? I just want to know more about High Qts.

I understand that much, but how and why? What changes about the subwoofer? I just want to know more about High Qts.

"How and why" isn't a simple short answer. But basically, they machine the gap a little wider to reduce the motor force some. The change in Qts changes how the subwoofer responds to a given enclosure volume and the enclosure volume needed to achieve a specific Qtc.

In a similar alignment (same Qtc) the high Qts option will have slightly more output and slightly more extended low frequency response throughout most of the passband, although it will require a larger enclosure to obtain a given Qtc. If instead of keeping alignment the same we keep the enclosure volume the same, the high Qts option will have a higher Qtc and the associated differences that comes from having a higher Qtc (slightly more peak output, less damping, less mechanical power handling, slightly less low frequency extension, etc).

"How and why" isn't a simple short answer. But basically, they machine the gap a little wider to reduce the motor force some. The change in Qts changes how the subwoofer responds to a given enclosure volume and the enclosure volume needed to achieve a specific Qtc.

In a similar alignment (same Qtc) the high Qts option will have slightly more output and slightly more extended low frequency response throughout most of the passband, although it will require a larger enclosure to obtain a given Qtc. If instead of keeping alignment the same we keep the enclosure volume the same, the high Qts option will have a higher Qtc and the associated differences that comes from having a higher Qtc (slightly more peak output, less damping, less mechanical power handling, slightly less low frequency extension, etc).

So two of these would be perfect for my 1.8 cubes sealed enclosure in my single cab truck then?

Just curious, how would these sound in a ported box? Not something I would do soon, but just wondering.

Honestly the differences between the normal Qts and the high Qts aren't huge according to WinISD. If you think you might be going ported at some point in the future go with the normal Qts drivers. If you think you will be strictly running them sealed then go with the high Qts. That sealed enclosure is a tad large, but would "work". In that sealed enclosure you'd be a bit better off with the high Qts option. But again, the differences are relatively mild between the two options and if switching to ported at some point in the future is a possibility I'd probably go with the normal Qts and run it sealed until the time to go ported comes.

Those drivers would come alive ported. They are geared more towards ported than they are sealed, especially with being smaller diameter drivers which means limited displacement potential....the low end would really come alive ported. Sealed the low end might be a bit on the weaker side of things. Honestly if you could figure out how to do an external port in that enclosure, that volume would work out pretty well for a ported enclosure as well.

And while I don't know Fi's sales figures I would also imagine the normal Qts option probably carries a bit more resale value and would probably more a little quicker.

Honestly the differences between the normal Qts and the high Qts aren't huge according to WinISD. If you think you might be going ported at some point in the future go with the normal Qts drivers. If you think you will be strictly running them sealed then go with the high Qts. That sealed enclosure is a tad large, but would "work". In that sealed enclosure you'd be a bit better off with the high Qts option. But again, the differences are relatively mild between the two options and if switching to ported at some point in the future is a possibility I'd probably go with the normal Qts and run it sealed until the time to go ported comes.

Those drivers would come alive ported. They are geared more towards ported than they are sealed, especially with being smaller diameter drivers which means limited displacement potential....the low end would really come alive ported. Sealed the low end might be a bit on the weaker side of things. Honestly if you could figure out how to do an external port in that enclosure, that volume would work out pretty well for a ported enclosure as well.

And while I don't know Fi's sales figures I would also imagine the normal Qts option probably carries a bit more resale value and would probably more a little quicker.

Yeah but I have 2 subwoofers in that 1.8 cubes so it's .9 each which isn't a lot. For a ported enclosure I don't think it's enough. It seems like everyone tells me that subs are geared for ported and I feel like the only person running a sealed enclosure. It really sucks. It's not like I picked sealed, it's just the Thunderform box fits perfectly and happens to be sealed. I have two CVX 10s in their now and they sound really nice.

Right, but for the requirements it is on the large side. You could always add blocks on the inside to consume airspace.

Just a thought, I know you don't have the space for a port, but what about a passive radiator? Not sure what your enclosure looks like and don't know if it would be easy to modify. Often on tight space areas people have ran a PR in place of a port. I know Jacob had good success running a 10" PR with an SA8.

You are right tho, there are a lot more people running ported instead of sealed. But there are people out there doing it, just don't see it as much.

Lastly, there is a difference between running a sub designed for ported and running it sealed vs a sub designed to run in both sealed and ported. Sure it may have more output ported, but still sounds really good sealed if that makes sense.

Right, but for the requirements it is on the large side. You could always add blocks on the inside to consume airspace.

Just a thought, I know you don't have the space for a port, but what about a passive radiator? Not sure what your enclosure looks like and don't know if it would be easy to modify. Often on tight space areas people have ran a PR in place of a port. I know Jacob had good success running a 10" PR with an SA8.

You are right tho, there are a lot more people running ported instead of sealed. But there are people out there doing it, just don't see it as much.

Lastly, there is a difference between running a sub designed for ported and running it sealed vs a sub designed to run in both sealed and ported. Sure it may have more output ported, but still sounds really good sealed if that makes sense.

This is my box: http://bit.ly/LL4PnH

Fi recommends .6 - 1.2cuft for ported, so .9cuft ported is smack in the middle of that range. I haven't ran the #'s myself yet so for now I'll go with the Fi recommended range.

For sealed even with the high Qts a net volume of .9cuft gives a Qtc of .574 (according to WinISD), which isn't too low but it's on the lower side. For the normal Qts sub .9cuft each gives a Qtc of .471 (according to WinISD), which again is pretty low and some people might like a slightly higher Qtc. A higher Qtc gives a little more bump in the mid-subbass region with less low frequency extension but due to the lower damping a response some people might call a little more "lively". It's really a matter of preference. I personally seem to like lower Qtc systems, my last system was a sub with a Qts of .4 running IB, but some people might like higher Qtc's a little more. Either way .9cuft is definitely on the larger end of things for a sealed enclosure. Whether or not you'll like that response most is really up to you. Luckily for you it's a lot easier to decrease enclosure volume than it is to increase it smile.png The other benefit is slightly better low frequency extension with the larger enclosure, which sealed with those sub is probably going to come in handy.

EDIT: Didn't see the link to the enclosure before I responded. Don't bother trying to port that sucker. If the time comes where you can go ported (I'd recommend it) you'll be better off custom building the enclosure.

Fi recommends .6 - 1.2cuft for ported, so .9cuft ported is smack in the middle of that range. I haven't ran the #'s myself yet so for now I'll go with the Fi recommended range.

For sealed even with the high Qts a net volume of .9cuft gives a Qtc of .574 (according to WinISD), which isn't too low but it's on the lower side. For the normal Qts sub .9cuft each gives a Qtc of .471 (according to WinISD), which again is pretty low and some people might like a slightly higher Qtc. A higher Qtc gives a little more bump in the mid-subbass region with less low frequency extension but due to the lower damping a response some people might call a little more "lively". It's really a matter of preference. I personally seem to like lower Qtc systems, my last system was a sub with a Qts of .4 running IB, but some people might like higher Qtc's a little more. Either way .9cuft is definitely on the larger end of things for a sealed enclosure. Whether or not you'll like that response most is really up to you. Luckily for you it's a lot easier to decrease enclosure volume than it is to increase it smile.png The other benefit is slightly better low frequency extension with the larger enclosure, which sealed with those sub is probably going to come in handy.

EDIT: Didn't see the link to the enclosure before I responded. Don't bother trying to port that sucker. If the time comes where you can go ported (I'd recommend it) you'll be better off custom building the enclosure.

So two of these in my box, with maybe a hole cut at the top as a port would sound really good?

Theres much more to it than just cutting a whole, you'd have to add an external port to retain the box volume,

Theres much more to it than just cutting a whole, you'd have to add an external port to retain the box volume,

Well cutting a hole doesn't reduce the volume inside the box. It simply means there's a hole. Sure I might have to add an external port, but cutting a hole doesn't reduce volume.

But just cutting a whole is just a sealed box with a large leak, a hole and a port are not the same