brian85578

Charging second battery

Which way is better to charge second battery parallel with front battery or direct from alternator

whichever way is easier for you.

If you are going to jump over the starting batt's post first, like most people do, just make sure if using a high output alt that the terminal or custom block mounted on the starting batt post is of adequate amperage to prevent resistance from building up at the starting battery.

You can tell quite easily if this is happening by placing your hand on the positive post of the starting battery.

If it's quite hot, you need better conductive postblock on the battery.

If your electrical is up to par, it makes no difference...

Unless you're running a ton of amplification, the average current through the wiring from the alt is rather paltry. If you're getting any heat from the battery terminal I'd be checking for a loose connection, since the terminal itself presents immesurably small resistance. Essentially zero resistance means essentially zero voltage drop and essentially zero power lost as heat.

Whether you go from the alt to the front battery to the rear battery or directly from the alt, the end result is that the rear battery is wired in parallel with the front battery.

Is it better to always trickle? I just started charging regularly (or want to) ...

My real question (and not answered) is for how long ...

Some say any help is good ... some guys say they charge all night (SPL guys, different game) ...

Daily driver, just want the most I can get on the road from these babies ...

Don't let the battery get drained. The alternator will keep a daily driver charged.

I don't have any charging issues or voltage drop I just was reading a topic where a guy ran from alt to rear battery