Sign in to follow this  
bru92'

Components or Coaxials in pillars?

I'm doing a bit of work on my front stage in my 03 mazda and need some ideas on what drivers I should uses for pillars.

I built door panels that house rockford P1652-S components running off my old Pioneer GM6000f rms 125watts per side. Sound is crazy clean but I want a bit more. So, I've got plans for building some new pillars that will either house some coaxials or components. I've got a new VIBE DEATHBOXS4-V1 that will rms125watts x 4 channels. idealy, I want to run my P1652-S's and whatever i put in the pillars off the VIBE and my rear speakers (cheap coaxials from princess auto) off the Pioneer.

SO: For 125 watts rms, what should I use in pillars? coaxials or componets? RIght now im looking at a set of RF T152's (coaxials)

Im VERY particular to rockford fosgate but im open to suggestions.

$200 is my budet.

So you want 2 sets of speakers up front? It will end up sounding like crap. Two sets of speakers playing the same frequencies is NOT SQ. It is exactly the opposite, in fact. You'll end up with a nasty frequency response from dirver interaction and a really harsh sound. Upgrade the speakers that you have. Use the 4-channel amp to do an active 2-way setup. DON'T add another complete set of speakers in addition.

So you want 2 sets of speakers up front? It will end up sounding like crap. Two sets of speakers playing the same frequencies is NOT SQ. It is exactly the opposite, in fact. You'll end up with a nasty frequency response from dirver interaction and a really harsh sound. Upgrade the speakers that you have. Use the 4-channel amp to do an active 2-way setup. DON'T add another complete set of speakers in addition.

Okay but What about all of the people i've seen whos' door have something crazy like eight mid range drivers and pillars loaded with tweeters? I understand that having multiple drivers can create dead zones and cause poor response but I'm finding that im not getting enough "sound energy" from just one mid rage and tweeter per side. I though about increasing the power and getting bigger drivers like some Sundown Neo-Pros but I just figured that adding more drivers would be better.

Not to mention, going to a three way system would mean I'd have to rebuild my door panels possibly and get a new amp.

They're doing it either to look cool or because they don't know any better. It certainly isn't because it sounds better. When it comes to sounding good, less is most always more.

And who said that you need a 3-way system?

Okay but What about all of the people i've seen whos' door have something crazy like eight mid range drivers and pillars loaded with tweeters?

People who don't know what they are doing, or have one goal...to be loud at the expense of sounding good.

They're doing it either to look cool or because they don't know any better. It certainly isn't because it sounds better. When it comes to sounding good, less is most always more.

And who said that you need a 3-way system?

^This. 99% of those people randomly select a bunch of speakers and throw it all together in a custom fiberglass door, but have no logical reasoning for it other then flashiness or outright loudness, and even the latter is still a sad case.

Are your current speakers in your doors, and if so, are your doors deadened properly?

Okay but What about all of the people i've seen whos' door have something crazy like eight mid range drivers and pillars loaded with tweeters?

This is one of my pet peeves with these systems. Aside from the fact they are acoustically a terrible idea, because it's done so frequently people look at them and assume it must be a good idea or sound great because so many people have done it, including many "influential" people in the hobby. It's a terrible idea.

I though about increasing the power and getting bigger drivers like some Sundown Neo-Pros but I just figured that adding more drivers would be better.

From a sound perspective adding more speakers would be a terrible idea if the goal was to both increase output and retain sound quality.

What is your budget, what specifically are your goals, and how much fabrication are you willing/able to perform?

Okay, well just so that everbody knows more deatils: My current speakers are in door panles that aren't just for looks, they actulay form and enclosure for the mid range drivers. The doors are also sound deadend on the inner...inside and the inside, well you know what I mean. Tweeters are where the stock ones were, right in the front corner of the window (where the mirrors are). I was considering just running my new four chanel amp (VIBE) and seeing what that would do, considering my current amp is getting old. I also re-set all of my gains, and crossovers and checked the head units' max undistorted volume with my CC-1 and DD-1. Other than upgradeing speakers maybe to some really good ones, what would putting more sound deadener do? I dont have my firewall covered, or the floor.

My speaker budget can be $400, but if im going to use more deadener, hehe well maybe less.

What I want to be able to have sound that is clean at all volumes, even when driving on the highway.

Im realizing now that this might not be a matter of better drivers though...