Swordlordboy1234

Route A/C to cool amps?

So a friend of mine (much older) said he used to compete 15 years ago and did a 151.3 on 4 15" mtx 500 watt subs on a Phoenix gold 1000.1 competition amp in the trunk of a thunderbird. But when describing his system (had all the normal great things to do for car audio) but one thing I found curious was he routed part of his AC to go on the bass amp. And he said that helped keep his amp crazy cold, and he could make that amp produce much more then 1000 watts "because of the amp temp and the good voltage" he estimated close to 2,000 watts. Anyone have any thoughts on the AC thing? I thought it was a cool idea

I know everyone uses fans and such, and I don't know what kinda work is needed to make his idea happen... But you guys are creative... Let me know!

It is a great idea, and I have seen this done. The stopper for me is unless you have separate climate control, you will be pumping hot air on the amp when you have to use the heat. I would also worry about condensation forming in the last place you would want moisture. I wouldn't do it, but that's my humble opinion.

And always ignore anyone's "estimation" of power output. It's crap, every single time.

This guy did it, but he has more money than I do to replace gear that could be ruined by condensation. I could be wrong, but that would be my concern.

Edited by BrutalBasser

And always ignore anyone's "estimation" of power output. It's crap, every single time.

"My amp is rated for 1500watts, but I'm pretty sure it's putting out closer to 2000watts."

"How do you know?"

"Cuz it's loud man!"

"The manufacturer underrates all their amps, so it's list for like 1500watts, but on good electrical it does like 2500watts."

"Uh huh."

"My amp makes blah blah power, and that's rms not max!"

"What about impedance?"

"What about what?"

YouTube among other things is a cesspool for information.

Edited by stefanhinote

I don't think keeping your amp "cold" is going to make it produce anymore power. If you want more power obviously you need more electrical capability and a larger amplifier.

Regardless of subject... what you "experienced", "thought", "appeared", etc.. is pointless....

Besides, several years ago, Termlab measurements were a good 2-4db higher than what they are today.

Even today, what you seen or heard is pointless to me...

I didn't experience any of this, when he had this car I was still shittin my pants. Well maybe not at 5 but still.

I'm in south Florida, what's a heater? Lawl..

You guys think condensation would be that bad?

Only reason I was brain storming was my car is black, in south Florida, and the amps will be in the trunk, AND from what I know... Amps don't like high heat.

the air is not exactly dry air which is an issue... you would have to modify them so the air went through some form desiccant so it won't be blowing wet air over your equipment.

Okay wet air is a problem....

Any bright ideas for amp cooling?

Black 96 accord amps in trunk, in Florida heat.. Open to anyone willing to lend me a few thoughts.

Why couldn't I live somewhere GOOD for amps... That is 65 out all day and all night

Try a fan system, more than likely it will be sufficient.

I'm in south Florida, what's a heater? Lawl..

Yep, where locals wear fur coats when it hits 65F. Heater indeed.

Any bright ideas for amp cooling?

Don't run them so they get hot.

And he said that helped keep his amp crazy cold, and he could make that amp produce much more then 1000 watts "because of the amp temp and the good voltage" he estimated close to 2,000 watts.

Best part is he "heard" a barely audible if at all difference. Nice and scientific. ROFL.

Lol like I said I was too young to have any comment, I just prefer to say his story as he told it. I never said It was good info. You really think 1000- 2000 is hardly noticeable? I'd like to disagree but do I think he actually was pulling double current the amp was made for? No...

And that chick thing in your signature deserves a thumbs up :D

I think he actually was pulling double current the amp was made for? No...

I highly doubt that..

Edited by BrutalBasser

You really think 1000- 2000 is hardly noticeable?

Yes

You really think 1000- 2000 is hardly noticeable?

Yes

I edited my first quote to not be misunderstood. Thanks.

Lol like I said I was too young to have any comment, I just prefer to say his story as he told it. I never said It was good info. You really think 1000- 2000 is hardly noticeable? I'd like to disagree

Why would you disagree?

You really think 1000- 2000 is hardly noticeable? I'd like to disagree

Then you don't understand the relationship between amplifier power and acoustic output.