Swordlordboy1234

Sound question for mr m5

In another post you mentioned something about bouncing sound off the windshield is bad. But when I spoke to "a famous sq guy" -_- <--- his name to himself... He said bouncing your tweeters off the front windshield did a bunch of great things.

Can u tell me your reasons for it being bad please? Or anyone, I just called him specificly because he mentioned It.

(I didn't really listen to his BS when he told me hair tricks are dumb and anything over 1000 watts is a waste, and that subwoofers should only be used 2% of the time during your listening) <---- no subs?! Go listen to an elevator play your favorite songs guy >:-(

Reflections are bad and nearly impossible to control. Any "famous sq guy" who would say that is truly an idiot.

I will agree with him on some points though. Hair tricks are dumb and most of the time, sub woofers aren't needed, neither is a lot of power for that matter.

At a show I recently attended most of the vehicles competing in the SQ format used windshield reflection to their advantage.

Instead of trying to fight reflections they tried to use it.

I do not see how reflections are impossible to control. It isnt like the surfaces inside a vehicle are moving.

At SBN, I was spectating a conversation (did a lot of observing that weekend, no re-coning, ZING!) where one of the competitors outside was discussing his thoughts on doing it for raising and widening the stage for judging.

I reflect off my windshield for a greater stage depth. It works for me...

hairtricks are dumb : 100% agree !

In SQ 1000 watts is too much to use it all. You can have +1000 w but you can use a lot less in your system to achieve a well balanced sound.

Subs are needed because you can't easily have enough bass from the doors. I'd love to have the same sound in my car, with an empty trunk !!!

Ultimately you don't want anything interfering with the frequency response--unless your capable of exploiting it for some goal. So if something was being used to alter the FR then it was most certainly designed that way.

Believing that your windshield just happens to be perfect for improving any aspect is something I'd seriously question.

Of course in a car everything is a compromise.

Another consideration: every vehicle has a different dash and windshield (among just about everything else), so something that you believe works great in yours, may very well be the opposite in another.

Edited by stefanhinote

OP you should note in what manner the sound was bouncing off the windshield. Was he talking about having the drivers mounted flat on the dash?

No I am talking about my 96 accord in the front it has tweeters mounted up, and the woofers in the door normal location. I'm asking this to try to "take away" some SQ aspects into my own build.

I am NOT an SQ guy, and I enjoy ground pounders much more. But I respect all forms of our hobby and I believe SQ has a lot of valid things that I can incorporate into my system.

The reason I'm asking is because my goal is to keep everything looking stock, but I'm gonna have all Rockford fosgate T components, and Xcon 12's on 4 k watts. My question is getting to the point... Is it better to use the front stock tweeter locations for "this SQ reason" or would it be better to mount them in a different location.

I'm trying to create a sleeper system to avoid looking flashy and can all be hidden that can impress my audio file aunt with pink Floyd, and keep me satisfied with my need for stupid loud bass that can float objects. (yes I realize you can't have the perfect of both worlds but I'm hoping to get a good mix)

Since I know you guys will ask...

Pioneer DEH 80 prs

1 set of RF T2652 components in the front

1 set of RF T1693 in the rear deck

1 RF T600-4

PWK design box in a semi wall (sealed off from trunk) housing 2 SSA Xcon 12's on a a crescendo 3500.

2 runs of 1/0 to a xs power battery bank (2 2400's) 1 2400 up front, dc power 270 xp alternator, second skin dsmplifier pro (80 foot pack)

Could you mount the tweeters on the a-pillars?

You should move the tweeters around and find out where you like them, and then install them.

I'd like to mount them in the stock location in the dash faceing up to keep it looking 100% stock but if it will sound like ass bouncing off the glass because of "your reason here" then I'll think of another place and I'm open to suggestions. A pillars maybe, again I'm not saying I won't do anything..

My goal is for someone to get in my car and think "it's just a stock accord with a head unit" but then I fold down my back seats to reveal the subs and I turn up the deck to reveal its not stock. Get what I'm saying?

So the A pillars is one suggestion... How high are you thinking? I'm open to suggestions?

Just to be clear I shouldn't mount tweeters lower in doors right?

You are balancing an act of dealing with interference both constructive and deconstructive in a car. In general minimizing this should be the first goal as they will wreak havoc on your frequency response. Of course like anything in a car it is a compromise. Reflecting has a longer path length which is another thing you want to maximize in order to make the L/R as similar as possible. That being said in general it is still a terrible idea to fire off the windshield. Comparing an install where this question even comes up to one owned by someone with an ear for seriously tuning parametric equalizers and really dealing with the anomalies correctly is not a good idea. Sure competitors can do this and in some classes based on the rules might even be logical but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and in general there are much better ways to achieve great sound.

So yes, if you aren't willing to spend hours tuning and have both the gear and ear to do so then I'd avoid firing it at the glass. Reflections are a serious bitch. Have you ever seen a home audio system reflecting off anything? Serious listening rooms put traps and all sorts of things to block as many reflections as possible for this exact reason. Sure you may gain some staging but at the cost of frequency response. That compromise is not one I would ever recommend.

Thanks mr m5, so your an A pillar fan for tweeters? Where is a good location to mount them?

I'll obviously play with the exact location but based on your guys's guide lines I will find the best location for my particular set up.

This speaker location thing seems to be a bigger headache then working for the actual money lol. But I'm already 1/4 the way there... No stopping now

Thanks mr m5, so your an A pillar fan for tweeters? Where is a good location to mount them?

I'll obviously play with the exact location but based on your guys's guide lines I will find the best location for my particular set up.

This speaker location thing seems to be a bigger headache then working for the actual money lol. But I'm already 1/4 the way there... No stopping now

lol.gif

I'm a it depends on the car, the budget and the goals guy. In a perfect world I wouldn't even run tweeters in a car. Of course atm my system is absolutely stock, :Doh: although it would still score better than many of the SQ competitors lol.

It is critical though to pick your mounting locations before picking drivers. Different drivers are better at different things. That being said if we knew more about your install it would help us help you more.

Tell me what you would like to know? I gave almost a complete list of all my choices on product I'll re post it and tell me what you think I'm missing

Pioneer DEH 80 prs

1 set of RF T2652 components in the front (6.5 component set of the power series)

1 set of RF T1693 in the rear deck (6x9 3 way coax of the power series)

1 RF T600-4 for the mids and highs

PWK design box in a semi wall (sealed off from trunk) facing forward, housing 2 SSA Xcon 12's on a a crescendo 3500.

2 runs of 1/0 of ofc wire to a xs power battery bank (2 2400's) 1 2400 up front, dc power 270 xp alternator, second skin damplifier pro (80 foot pack) put where I find appropriate.

are you interested in going active with the front components? you have the processing and amp if you drop the rears.

Well I know everyone is gonna say some stuff about my choice of rear fill, believe me I didn't wanna pick that either but I think it will be best rather then just rely on only 2 6.5s and 2 tweeters. And I'm gonna have a shit ton of bass for a trunk build in that little car and I think those power 6x9s would be best, I deff need something else or my rear passengers won't hear anything but BOOOOOOOOOOM. I'll just give them less power so the people in back can have some words during their BASS massage.

As far as active.. I kinda need to learn more about it. I was just hoping the processing power of the HU and the cross overs set in the speakers along with my amps cross overs would handle it. Again I don't know about active and passive enough to talk about it so I prob sound like an idiot right now.

If you care to educate, I promise I'll read it all though on any comments for rear fill / how to do active / tweeter location for the front components

Won't matter where you put your fronts if you are putting those in the rears. Just put them where it's easy. Either you are choosing not to notice or you don't.