Spliff

New box for a new sub (1x12" - advice needed)

Hello guys, greetings from Romania smile.png

I need some opinions with a new box for a sundown audio sa12. I'm currently running the sub in a sealed enclosure (1.3ft³), on audio que 2200d at 4 ohm, until it will loosen up a little bit to handle 1000-1500w at 1 ohm.42529400.jpg

I whant to add that I own a sedan car, and thinking to put the sub up close to the port. So, any ideas, suggestions?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Port area seems a bit low, I would up it a bit.

Greetings, first off the re calculator is not accurate. For a sedan sub infront port to the side seems to be louder than most other configeration, from my experience it causes too much vibration and rattling in the trunk area.

I recently did sub infront port infront (close to each other), all firing into the cabin and that reduce alot of the vibration and was loud enough, of course my seat folds down, may think of sealing the trunk off with a beauty pannel later, to prevent any cancellation.

From looking at your power and tuning frequency, I would shoot for a 1.75 cuft tuned to 30 Hz. If you need help with a design just let me know.

I've built several sa12 boxes for myself.

It's all a matter of preference but I found tuning to 35hz to work really well. Changing from 30 to 35hz I gained quite a bit of loudness and hits the 45-60hz range much better and very little change in low 30 to high 20hz output. I can tell a slight difference in the low lows but the output and bandwidth I gained everywhere else more than made up for it.

Also being that you want to put well over rated power you may want to go a little smaller on volume.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Before sa12 i've got 2x12" type r with port and subs firing back, much vibration indeed, not a great box thou, but anyway, i've put 4 stp silver bulk pack all over, trunk, floor, doors, roof.

So Dave, if it's not to much trouble, I would like some help with any desing you think will sound best for the car, sure the 1.75 cuft is even great, it leaves me with more space :)

The maximum dimensions I have is 65cm width 40cm height 50cm depth.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate taking your time helping me.

Thanks for the fast reply smile.png

Before sa12 i've got 2x12" type r with port and subs firing back, much vibration indeed, not a great box thou, but anyway, i've put 4 stp silver bulk pack all over, trunk, floor, doors, roof.

So Dave, if it's not to much trouble, I would like some help with any desing you think will sound best for the car, sure the 1.75 cuft is even great, it leaves me with more space smile.png

The maximum dimensions I have is 65cm width 40cm height 50cm depth.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate taking your time helping me.

No problem, I will work on a design for you. I think 35 Hz is a good tuning frequency as mentioned above, let me know if that would be good or what tuning frequency you prefer.

If you think 35 hz is good, sure, I will go with that.

If you think 35 hz is good, sure, I will go with that.

Ok 35 Hz it is, will work on it.

Yo, check out my SA-12 box while you are waiting for your design. :)

Great box, but I don't have the tools and experience to do that, I only build a sealed box so far... didn't turn out to good looking, but it does the job. Most of all, I like those 45 corners, I always think that helps alot. Definitely gonna do them on the new box.

Looking good :) What do you think about those 45 corners, will make a difference or leave it just how it is?

Now, should I leave it at 4 ohm or put it on 1 ohm with the gain down a little bit?

I don't want to seem rude, I appreciate your work and time, but it can be done in cm? I probably will hand this project to someone that can make it for me, and here we work with cm, only if you can, because I know it can be converted but I what to be exactly your measurements, not converted and modified or something else.

I have some MDF 2cm thickness left from the other box, maybe I will do it my self, we'll see :)

Once again, thanks a lot man.

The 45's not necessary, not much of a an audible difference. Wire it to 1 ohm ( too much work to re-wire lol ), set the gain appropriately and play it normally until you feel confident to crank it up bit by bit.

I am a bit pressed on time or I would have done it in metric (cm), you can convert the measurements, a little bit off would not matter. Good luck on the build, you are welcome !

Ok man, thanks, I'll be back with some photos when it's done.

Pic would be great when you are done or while building it, if you choose to build it your self, it's not difficult, the most important thing is to make clean cuts nice and square. There are some youtube vids on box building which are very informative.

You got a nice design for free, OP. I hope you will be able to calculate those 5/8, 1/8 right. And then you will convert in cm.

If you're willing to pay for a design for the next box (!), try RAM Designs, he is a member here, and can easily work in metric system. I'm French and I use only metric dimensions too. He has a web site : ram-designs.com or something like that. Try to google it.

Good luck with your build from Romania !

Thanks guys.

Well, I what this box to be great and I'm gonna let a pro do it :) It's gonna be ready in one week or so.

I know I got a custom design box for free, and I really appreciate. Maybe I gonna try ram designs when I will want a spl box, but this in few months. Sure, I'll post some pictures and videos when it's ready.

Hello guys, and thank you Dave and everyone for help.

The box is done, as I promised I have return with some pics. The old sealed box, made by me... as I said before, not to good looking but it gets the job done. About the new box, what can I say, it get quite loud, and I'm sure it's gonna get louder when I'm gonna put the sub at 1 ohm. Great box and hope to be back soon with a video.

p1030558fp.jpg

p1030538mv.jpg

p1030543u.jpgp1030539x.jpgp1030561c.jpgp1030556u.jpgp1030553c.jpgp1030552x.jpgp1030551u.jpg

p1030550g.jpg

p1030549v.jpg

p1030565r.jpg

Hello fellas!

I'm back and I need your help  again. A while ago I did a project with 2x12" type r alpine. It was a bass reflex box, 5ft³ and two ports, 10 cm in diameter with 25 cm length, tuned around 31hz. I will upload some pics to be more clear.

Now I am thinking do same thing but with this 1x12 sundown. First, the box, 2.3ft³, tuned at 30hz, I will use same diameter ports, 10cm, but what length? Maximum diameter port I can use is 12cm. Another thing, should I put the sub facing up with the ports?

What do you guys think of this?

p1010364k.jpg

p1010372d.jpg

p1010359k.jpg

I will do a bandpass, and build it myself. The goal is to cover a wide area of frequencies.

Since its a complex design I will pay for it. I've heard about RAM Designs, but how about Dave the box guy? Whom you would recommend?

On 8/16/2012 at 1:20 PM, Spliff said:

Hello guys, and thank you Dave and everyone for help.

The box is done, as I promised I have return with some pics. The old sealed box, made by me... as I said before, not to good looking but it gets the job done. About the new box, what can I say, it get quite loud, and I'm sure it's gonna get louder when I'm gonna put the sub at 1 ohm. Great box and hope to be back soon with a video.

p1030558fp.jpg

p1030538mv.jpg

p1030543u.jpgp1030539x.jpgp1030561c.jpgp1030556u.jpgp1030553c.jpgp1030552x.jpgp1030551u.jpg

p1030550g.jpg

p1030549v.jpg

p1030565r.jpg

is there anyway i can see these pics? i want to use this box for my sa-12 rev 3 on a Alpine Mrx-m110 wired at 2 oh to get 1100rms.
was this box 1.75 cu ft AFTER displacement or before displacement of sub?

A thread that hasn't had a post in 3 years, Its highly doubtful. 

It was a fun box,great output, change it after a while, but as friends said, that was the crazy box i had.

Only one major drawback, it had a slightly port noise, if you have a hatchback maybe you can hear it. If I open the trunk I can hear it, in the car sounded great. Maybe it can be fixed with a bigger port area.

sa12 - Copy.png

P1030562.JPG

Haha. I designed that box when I was a young designer , and yes, with that amount of power it should have had a bit more port area.