Sign in to follow this  
DeafIam

my IA Death Penalty 18" stopped working..

I don't think its blown because it doesn't do anything at all no noise. I checked my amp with my other subs and it works fine..I was only putting ~1200 rms to it so I don't see how anything could have went wrong.. I had my 2 ohm sub wired down to 1 ohm on the amp.

Bought off a guy from these forums hope he didn't fuck me over..

Sounds blown, check the coils with a dmm. Just because it stopped working does not mean you were screwed over.

When l press on the sub it starts working

Loose connection somewhere, maybe a tinsel lead.

tried to take the dust cap off poked a small hole in the cone -.- and was worthless to take it off because I can't even see anything the guy I bought it from told me to take it off so I could see the lead but yeah..that didn't help now I have a $500 sub that is worthless fml

It's not worthless. Tell us more about your setup. Settings on the amplifier, enclosure specs, when did you notice it stopped working correctly.

I have like a 7 cu box ported/tuned at 35hz braced inside faced towards back seats (if that matters) it was far enough away from seat so it never touched it even with excursion. Kicker ZX1000.1 Amplifier was playing a song not even loud and bass just stopped and when I pressed in on the subwoofer it started up to play again, so I figure'd it was like a broken or un-connected lead..I don't know anything about the inside of subs and all the places around where I live will cost me an arm and leg to get it checked out..that it'd be cheaper to just buy a new one..so the guy I bought it from said to cut off dust cap.. I tried f*cked up the dust cap..and poked a hole in the cone but got it off and can't even see the leads..what now..?

How is the gain on the amplifier set? Subsonic filter? That is a nice subwoofer. I would send it back to IA to be fixed.

I have it either a little past half or a little before half one or the other its still in the car, I can take a pic of settings if you'd like?

even if I didn't buy it from IA they will still be able to fix it?

Yes they can fix it. It will not be free though. Worth the investment. Yes take detailed pictures of your amplifier settings and post them here.

alright even if I messed with it they'll fix it around how much will it cost me total? I paid $300 for it.

bass wasn't like that I turned it up to see if it'd beat

You have no subsonic filter. Most likely pushed it past it's mechanical limits and snapped a lead. Bass boost should not be used.

alright, so I can send the sub to IA and they can fix what evers wrong with it and send it back to me? How much would it cost if you had to guess...? and what amp would you rec for it?

was thinking of the bc2000 putting 2250 rms on it daily.

also its kind of crazy that only maybe 1200 rms pushed it past its limits..? I seen people put way more power to these..?

also its kind of crazy that only maybe 1200 rms pushed it past its limits..? I seen people put way more power to these..?

I should reword my previous post. Your box is tuned to 35hz. When you play music below that it is easy to bottom out the subwoofer. A subsonic filter prevents playing below tuning. The death penalty can handle more power than you are giving it.

Depending on the compliance, most subwoofers can be destroyed with a few hundred watts below tuning in a vented enclosure. This is why we have Sub Sonic Filters.

Additionally, you have an amplifer that could almost produce two times the power the subwoofer is thermally rated at. So really, you could have blown it in a myriad of ways.

So I should contact IA ask if they can fix my woofer if they ask whats wrong what do I say? and then what amp do you guys rec?

You need a recone.

So I can send them my woofer and they'll recone it test it send it back? how much is that going to cost do you think just give me an idea.. and what amp should I go for lol

I will also rebuild my box if you guys think I need too. My port is a 8" flared port that is 10.5" length