Budah93

Big 3 Question

Anybody with a 98 or newer jimmy/blazer had any issues doing the big 3 upgrade? I have all the wire just wanna make sure i'm not gonna have any surprises when i go to do it

i don't see what type of vehicle has anything to do with it...

Just add the following-

Ground from starting battery to frame

Power from alt to battery +

Ground from alt case or bracket to frame OR same point starting battery is grounded to.

I had a friend of mine do his and ended up needing a special tool to do the wire from alt to battery so i was just making sure i wouldn't need anything like that

pop it open and look.

Sounds like these car companies are starting to piss me off more and more..

Now we can't disconnect a cable without a special tool...

Pretty soon we are going to need to take our car to a qualified car wash technician.

You don't use a qualified car wash technician? You are getting screwed!!

Now we can't disconnect a cable without a special tool...

Some people consider anything other than vice grips and duct tape special tools. There is no vehicle in production that needs a special tool to disconnect a battery cable.

it wasn't to remove the battery cable it was to remove the wire that attached to the alternator. He had to go rent one from an auto parts shop

Yes, that is the main power wire. No special tools, it's just a nut on a threaded post.

it wasn't to remove the battery cable it was to remove the wire that attached to the alternator. He had to go rent one from an auto parts shop

maybe was just a shitty connection and he couldn't get it off like you normally would... or he fcked it up and needed something to remove his fck up???? MAYBE???

He had an 09 japense something or other. It wasn't just a nut and a post.

Allen, or torx?

All Japanese imports use Denso, Mitsubishi, or Bosch alts. They all use a threaded post. 95% of alternators use a threaded post. The other 5% use a bolt.

He had to go to napa to buy a tool to get to where the wire mounted and it didn't have a post it like went into the alt it was weird AF

Regardless of what he had, you have a GM vehicle and it's about a simple as simple gets.

i went out and looked at it didn't seem like i would have any snags. Do you guys fuse yours or not? i've seen it done both ways

Depends on your competence with terminating connections, zip ties, and insurance. There is only one reason that fuses exist and if you leave it to chance and push the percentages well then you've made your choice.