manguybro

can i recone my xcon 15 with an 18 xcon or zcon kit?

can i recone my xcon 15 with a zcon 15 kit? also can i recone my xcon 15 with an 18 xcon or zcon kit?

Stick with the xcon kit you can't use a zcon kit because the measurements on everything are different. There was actually a thread about this yesterday I think lol.

No, your XCON will forever be an XCON. You can change cone sizes; you would simply bolt on a new basket and install the soft parts. The only way to change the woofer is to change the motor and soft parts.

No, your XCON will forever be an XCON. You can change cone sizes; you would simply bolt on a new basket and install the soft parts. The only way to change the woofer is to change the motor and soft parts.

Bingo!

thanks for the input guys! does ssa sell just the 18 xcon basket? so i would need the 18 recone kit and the basket to convert it. is there any other parts or supplies i would need? fairly adept at customizing and fabricating things. just never did a sub before. i realize it will an 18 in size but will still perform as a 15, meaning i won't expect to be able to through more power to it.

The 18" will perform like an 18", in proportional enclosures, an 18" will be more loud and sound better than a 15" on the exact same power.

so with the 18 recone and 15 motor it will have the same output as an 18 in a box built to the 18s specifications? wont the smaller motor and spider offer less performance than a true ssa xcon 18? i understand it will push more air and require a larger box to perform optimally. will i need ANYTHING else other than the 18 recone and a basket? does anything get soldered or does the cone and vc just drop in place and then you bolt the cone to the basket?

so with the 18 recone and 15 motor it will have the same output as an 18 in a box built to the 18s specifications? wont the smaller motor and spider offer less performance than a true ssa xcon 18? i understand it will push more air and require a larger box to perform optimally. will i need ANYTHING else other than the 18 recone and a basket? does anything get soldered or does the cone and vc just drop in place and then you bolt the cone to the basket?

They use the same motor.

guess i misunderstood your post duran. i understand that the sub will be louder and push more air in an appropriate box built for an 18. i just wanted to state in my last post that i did not intend to treat the rebuilt 15 like an 18. i would still apply the same power i would to it if it was still a 15. i see how to buy a 18 recone kit. how do i purchase an 18 basket from ssa and will i need anything else in order to rebuild the 15.

The 12"-18" have the exact same motor, the only things that change are the cone, basket, and surround.

guess i misunderstood your post duran. i understand that the sub will be louder and push more air in an appropriate box built for an 18. i just wanted to state in my last post that i did not intend to treat the rebuilt 15 like an 18. i would still apply the same power i would to it if it was still a 15. i see how to buy a 18 recone kit. how do i purchase an 18 basket from ssa and will i need anything else in order to rebuild the 15.

That is all you will need except for clamps and epoxy/glue send an email asking about the basket.

Send an email to SSA, 'support@soundsolutionsaudio.com' for a basket, they may even be able to just add it to your order. You will need a screwdriver, something to shim the voice coil, a soldering iron with solder, along with clamps, and I think some glue.

Send an email to SSA, 'support@soundsolutionsaudio.com' for a basket, they may even be able to just add it to your order. You will need a screwdriver, something to shim the voice coil, a soldering iron with solder, along with clamps, and I think some glue.

And all of that stuff^^^ :roflmao:

thanks for being so specific guys. that was exactly what i was looking for. have clamps, soldering iron, solder, and even a screwdriver. recommendations on glue to use. unsure what i need to glue though if the cone, surround, and ring are pre-assembled. what will i solder? the leads to the actual voice coil? is there a video out there anywhere that will actually pertain to what im going to do? ive seen recaps, recones, resurrounds, but never a basket replacement or fully assembled cone voice coil replacement. thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!!! adhd.gif

i will email support now!

You need to solder the tinsel leads to the terminals, the voice coil leads will already be soldered to the tinsel leads. 5 minute epoxy or spray activated CA glue will be the easiest to use.

tinsel leads to terminals... easy, gotcha. wasnt sure what CA glue was to i googled it. i assume this is to glue the tinsel leads down to the spider? is there a brand and type CA glue thats best? i guess what is the glue used for so i know what surfaces it will need to bond to. this should be my last question.

No, the CA glue is to bond the surround and spider to the basket and attach the dustcap. The leads are sandwiched in the spiders, so the only thing you'll have to do with those is solder them to the terminals.