Sign in to follow this  
Budah93

2 12's or 1 15?

I have a 99 cougar with 2 12" l7s on a planet audio aq2500m. they are in the prefabbed kicker box with the side aero port. I have to run the subs at 4 ohms so they arent getting much power so i was wondering if I should:

1.) Try to sell the amp and buy a 1 ohm stable

2.) Sell them and buy dual 2 ohm coils

3.) Sell them and get 2 12" subs but that would have to be in the range of $100-$175 apiece ( was thinking maybe decons)

4.) Sell them and get a single 15 in a nice box but would have to cost around $200 give or take.

If i do get a different set up I would hope that it would be an upgrade from the l7s. If i switch subs i probably won't get a new amp. This one isn't too terrible and this car is only my daily driver to and from work/school so I don't need to spend the money on amp and electrical and this one doesn't pull too much. The only upgrade i'll do to it are big 3 and probably a bigger battery up front.

Alright. Do l7s sound pretty good when placed on the proper amp? i've never personally heard 12" l7s. I used to have a single 15" l7 then had 12" l3s then I had 15" l5s but never 2 12s

Sell that amp and buy a 1ohm stable amp, and build another box. That would be your best bet. No since selling those subs to buy Dcons, Honestly you will probably be louder with the L7's.

Look at the Hifonics BRZ-2100 or BRZ-1700 would be your most economical approach.

I will assume they are dual 4's

So what exactly do you have? One thread you said you have SA subs and this one L7's and one a Hifonics amp, this one a planet audio and in your profile you say something else?

Do you actually have anything,

Pics of system or pics of both systems?

So what exactly do you have? One thread you said you have SA subs and this one L7's and one a Hifonics amp, this one a planet audio and in your profile you say something else?

Swift I am also confused..

I have 2 cars guys. I have an suv with sa15s and a hifonics amp and then I have my cougar that i use to drive to and from school that has l7s and a planet audio. and what i meant by not hearing L7s was i never heard them on a proper amp. I've heard the others on the right power

oh and my profile is outdated if you look at one of my previous posts the mtx blew a few months ago

Profile Pic is my sundowns and can upload a pic of the L7s if you want

Ok, carry on

lol

L7's can get very loud and sound decent doing it ina large ported box.

I had L7's back in the day and they we're pretty nice.

Keep your L7's, but build a good ported box for them. They like room, so don't build it too small. Tune it to 32-35 Hz.

You'll upgrade your amp later.

You will find a lot of amps that can fityour needs, when you're ready : used or new.

alright well i have a cougar so building a box could be tricky. The opening is 28" at the narrowest point and 40w at the widest point. once inside the trunk i have roughly 36w 17h and 20d. I used a box calculator and have one that's 30x17x20 that's getting me about 4.7 cubes before displacement in and the port and I'm probably going with a slot port.

*has a nice but affordable amp for sale*

I say you get a new amp....but I'm biased lololol

and i'm probably going to do my amp first just because this planet audio doesn't put out crap at 4 ohms. The subs barely hit.

and i'm probably going to do my amp first just because this planet audio doesn't put out crap at 4 ohms. The subs barely hit.

angry2.gif buy mine!

what kind of amp and how much?

http://www.soundsolu...d-175-shipping/

YES, it's an Audiopipe, but it really is a great amp. It's been durable, efficient, and it powered my SA-12's really nicely.

EDIT: It is NOT the AP series. It's the next one up, the AQX. They're going for like 260 on eBay.

Edited by An-i-no

im probably gonna go with the brz1700 but is that box gonna fit guys? or better yet with the subs do well in that box?

Build a new box to fit those subs. you need to know how many cubic feet for each sub times two. plus tune it to what the L7s say.

The right box is more important then the amp.eek5wavey.gif

the website says 1.75 cubes min ported 3.25 max and my trunks opening is 20" at the narrowest not 28. Anybody have a suggestion for the box. I think i'm going to do the port under the box so its horizontal not vertical. Would that work?

I think i'm going to do 32x17.5x20. 3/4 inch mdf horizontal port on the bottom tuned at 34hz. Just don't know how big to do the port. How does it sound so far? this is the first box i've personally designed

After port displacement you'll probably be in the 4cf range on that box. To figure out the length of the port you need to fiure out how much area the port will have (H x W). From there you plug it into the formula for dertimining port length. Or you can just use a program like WinISD to figure it all out.

Realize that you want a decent amount of port area to make sure that port noise isn't a problem and the more port area you have, the longer the port needs to be to maintain a certain tuning. The longer port displaces more airspace making for a smaller box, which needs a longer port to maintain a certain tuning and so the downward spiral goes.

Your best bet is to determine what size box you want with regard to net volume (I'd shoot for somewhere between 3.5 and 4cf based on your space limitations) and figure out how much port area you can go with while maintaining you max external enclosure dimensions. I would also plan on a vertical port simply for ease of construction. A horizontal port that ran the full width of the enclosure with a realistic amount of area would be so narrow that it would behave funny and probably exhibit a lot of noise. If you made it tall enough not to whistle, it would be so large that it would end up displacing more volume than the main chambers of the enclosure.