codester

2 15" icons or 1 18" Zcon

Hi i'm somewhat new to this forum. I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad cab (crew cab) and am trying to decide with the space I have what setup will give me the best result. I'm really looking for Sound Quality and getting super low with loudness a given as either should get more than loud enough for me. The vehicle will be a DD but will also be a show vehicle/ demo for my installs, maybe a couple competitions if i can find some.The largest dimensions I have to work with are 24" tall, 30" wide and 32" deep. (could maybe go an inch more on height if it would make a big difference in sound. According to RE box calculator I have 8.09 cubic feet after port displacement but without sub displacement. my port would be 3.5" wide and would be an L style port with the back length of 12" . Tuning would be about 28hz but would be a little higher after sub displacement. If I went with the 2 15" Icons I would have the port and one sub facing up and one facing forward. (is this a bad idea?) Or one 18" zcon with port up and sub up?

Amp would be a Crescendo BC2000D. Looking to purchase all in a day or so, just want to know if I will notice a huge difference in two 15" icons over 1 18" Zcon as its almost $200 more? had experience with quite a few brands but never SSA. I appreciate your opinion and experience/ comments

Thanks,

Codester

I would rather run the ICONs. Not that the ZCONs sound bad but when you mention SQ ICONs immediately pop into my head. You should have enough room for either setup, and I wouldn't use the RE calculator for your final design.

For starters the Icon is geared towards sq, while the Zcon is geared towards spl, the xcon which you havent mentioned is geared towards the best of both world.

Thanks for the replies, i'd love to get two 15" Xcons but my budget is being stretched with the 2 15" Icon's already. Ive almost made my mind up on them, Just want to know if mounting one up and one sideways is gonna lower SQ and output much? or is having the subs with only half inch in between them and half inch from exterior walls gonna affect sound? The top will be double baffled in 3/4" MDF. I am just using RE box calculator to get rough measurements so I can visualize it and get a rough idea. I will probably end up paying someone on the forum to design me a box, Ive been researching about using ts perameters etc but not quite comfortable with it yet.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, i'd love to get two 15" Xcons but my budget is being stretched with the 2 15" Icon's already. Ive almost made my mind up on them, Just want to know if mounting one up and one sideways is gonna lower SQ and output much? or is having the subs with only half inch in between them and half inch from exterior walls gonna affect sound? The top will be double baffled in 3/4" MDF. I am just using RE box calculator to get rough measurements so I can visualize it and get a rough idea. I will probably end up paying someone on the forum to design me a box, Ive been researching about using ts perameters etc but not quite comfortable with it yet.

Thanks

Keep the subs on the same plane. The ICONs are awesome subs.

Thanks

Thanks, that answers my question, only worry was the fact that plotted out on graph paper after the port the subs would be very close to touching each other.

Will be placing an order this week for two 15" Icons :)

Who would I ask for box designs? I got basic woodworking tools, table saw, cutoff, jigsaw, router etc.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, that answers my question, only worry was the fact that plotted out on graph paper after the port the subs would be very close to touching each other.

Will be placing an order this week for two 15" Icons smile.png

Who would I ask for box designs? I got basic woodworking tools, table saw, cutoff, jigsaw, router etc.

Thanks

DC creations (they have a sub forum here on SSA) or Ram_designs (he is a member on here)

Make sure to post a build log when you get started!

Thanks for all the help and will do with the build log.

Build time is around 3-4 weeks on those subs according to Mark,so I got awhile still to get stuff in order.

So far I have been so impressed with SSA, members are helpful and Mark was great, pretty rare to ask a owner of a company and

get an answer back in an hour or two. amazing customer service.

Thanks, everyone

Thanks for all the help and will do with the build log.

Build time is around 3-4 weeks on those subs according to Mark,so I got awhile still to get stuff in order.

So far I have been so impressed with SSA, members are helpful and Mark was great, pretty rare to ask a owner of a company and

get an answer back in an hour or two. amazing customer service.

Thanks, everyone

Mark and Aaron are the best. It is well worth the wait, trust me. :)

Can't wait to see the bL :popcorn:

You could also run an 18" Xcon.

But 2 Icons will be nice on that amplifier.

You'll love them. Put them both on the same side. It doesn't matter if they're touching each other.