Kangaroux

Kangaroux's 99 Pathfinder

Sweet build!

Thanks! I'm gonna drop the sub in and wire it up tomorrow. I hope I have enough speaker wire lol. Gonna need to order some knu 12g here soon so I can do a solid run to the amp. I'll be sure to take a vid of it for you guys, don't worry ;)

Just got done installing the sub, lookin real nice. Flush mount came out better than I thought it would (I always have trouble with the flush mount since I use a jig to cut it out...) I have a few more things to do then I'm gonna do some tuning and give it a listen. Video may be posted up tonight if I get one before it gets too dark out, otherwise I'll do one tomorrow afternoon.

Just took a quick vid but it's either too dark out or I need a different camera cause this thing is not picking up flex at all. My whole roof moves a good inch and my rear doors go pretty crazy too. This sub absolutely destroys the lows, I thought something was going to break when I first played some 30hz through it, it just moves so much air too. I stuck my head inside the port just for shits and wow is that violent lol!

While I'm at it, what are some inexpensive ways to get my roof to stop flexing? lol I'm thinking some tubes of the PL400 (that stuff cures up extremely hard, almost as hard as the TItebond II I use) and then taking some pieces of wood and cutting some kerfs in them pretty spread apart (3-4" per kerf) so that way the board can sort of mold to the shape of my roof. PL them to the roof and put plenty of it, then get a 2x4 or something to pry it up and hold it in place while it dries overnight.

Nice! Get the video up!

Nice! Get the video up!

Actually uploading ti at the moment..I'm gonna take another one tomorrow cause between the poor lighting and my camera it's hard to see any movement. However I can say for sure this sounds amazing...gets just about as loud as the hdc3 i had, but gets much lower and sounds just overall better (the hdc3 was in a higher tuned box and running at a lower impedance too which is kind of funny lol)

Like I said it's hard to tell cause it just blurs everything together plus the lighting is kinda bad but here you go lol. For the record, I've had 3 different setups with 18's and this one blows them all out of the water.

Make sure to watch the vid in 720p..it helps a lot

Edited by Kangaroux

Played around with it some today, and the more I listen to it the more I'm actually tempted to say this xcon is LOUDER than my hdc3. On the lows my door panel flexes a good 1/4" and everything is just straight up nasty. On higher stuff around 40hz it's getting to the point where on some songs it actually makes my ears hurt slightly. There is a jeep up here that I've sat in that does just about a 150 with the door open and that made my ears hurt as well..I'm not saying I'm doing a 150 but It's definitely up there in the mid-high 140's. My guess would be a ~147, maybe higher? I don't want to jinx myself, though, lol..

Just took several vids, gonna edit them and upload them. All I can say is holy shit does this move a lot of air...and I am SO glad I did a kerf port. I can play 20hz full tilt and not hear even the slightest bit of port noise.

Some serious xcon flexing, looks sick mann, and the sanding payed off for the kerf ...lol ....

Some serious xcon flexing, looks sick mann, and the sanding payed off for the kerf ...lol ....

Lol thanks. I'm gonna get some PL400 tomorrow and get my roof fixed up, it's flexing way too much for my liking lol.

Lol thanks. I'm gonna get some PL400 tomorrow and get my roof fixed up, it's flexing way too much for my liking lol.

lol yea, before something it fall apart.

lol yea, before something it fall apart.

Sure sounds like something is falling apart with all that flex haha. If the wood doesn't work I'll just rip it out and invest in some AT 80 mil or something. That, or find someone local who can weld some support braces to it lol.

Went to home depot to pick up some tubes of PL400 and when I got home I noticed it was nothing like the stuff I had been using before, so I hope I just got the wrong thing and that they didn't completely remake it. The stuff I picked up is way thinner and it just wants to drip everywhere which isn't going to work if i wanna put this stuff on my roof. Gonna head back tomorrow and swing by Lowes and see if they have it.

I'll do a before and after vid so you guys can see the difference (I hope bracing it helps lol)

Nice SQ sub woofer you have there. ;)

Nice SQ sub woofer you have there. wink.png

Thanks, LOL. I'll be competing for my first time in september so we'll see how that goes. The class I'm in is very broad so the chances of me snagging a first place are kinda slim since the class rules allow for some pretty heavy hitters. Should be fun nonetheless. Might just screw around and burp it at 30, who knows, lol

Alright, returned the tubes of 400 I got and tried out some of the 375. Definitely a good switch, this stuff is way easier to use. The 375 has a consistency similar to liquid nails but cures up to be harder. The 400 was like having a tube full of pudding, the stuff dripped so badly, and when you released the pressure from the caulking gun it still kept coming out and wouldn't stop...major PITA.

Moral of the story: this shit is junk

XJoJZ.jpg

This stuff is awesome

MPcjW.jpg

My roof before I started bracing (has audiotechnix 60mil and weatherstripping on it to prevent headliner slap):

WRnOE.jpg

Took some pieces of wood around 3" wide by 12" long and cut a few kerfs in them to allow it to shape itself to the roof.

jrJrm.jpg

Pretty much just put a ton of 375 on the side that isn't kerfed, stick it to the roof, hold it in place with some pieces of wood and then do a thick bead all around it, and fill up any gaps that are left.

mVe4x.jpg

qpGcN.jpg

Any extra 375 I had left I filled up those long metal braces with. There was a small hole on each end that I filled it up with. Filling up each brace uses up close to a tube but luckily that 375 only costs like 3 bucks each at HD.

Need to go back to HD to pick up some more 375 because I used up a lot more than I thought I would, so I'm just gonna let those 2 braces cure up overnight and then get the other 2 in tomorrow.

do a shirt trick :)

do a shirt trick smile.png

I can do one for sure in the rear windows, still need to do some more bracing before I can do one pretty good up front. Also a quick update:

I got the roof all braced up and finished and let it sit overnight. The PL needs 2-3 days to fully cure but I wanted to hear how it sounded. First impressions: a lot better. Because the silicone hasn't fully cured it sitll flexes a lot but all the extra mass is like deadening the whole roof, it's dead silent now. However I have developed more flex issues...my hatch goes a bit crazier (gonna need more weatherstripping) but now my rear door is LOUD. The entire door is flexing around, not just the top of it. I'm gonna need to find something to fix it because from like 28hz - 32hz it is even louder than when my roof was making noise before.

dayum that was quick!!!

dayum that was quick!!!

What, bracing my roof? Yeah I tried to do it in an efficient fashion that would work and not cost much. It was either drop like $60-80 on deadener or brace my roof with some $2.50 silicone and scrap pieces. Glad I went with the latter

dayum that was quick!!!

What, bracing my roof? Yeah I tried to do it in an efficient fashion that would work and not cost much. It was either drop like $60-80 on deadener or brace my roof with some $2.50 silicone and scrap pieces. Glad I went with the latter

I wonder if your method would hold up on a say a trunk lid... It's a nice idea.... Seems like it could work...

dayum that was quick!!!

I wonder if your method would hold up on a say a trunk lid... It's a nice idea.... Seems like it could work...

It sure is an easy way of adding mass. If you give the silicone a good 3 days to full cure up I'm sure it would be hard enough to drop a lot of flex, but at the very least it should stop any kind of rattling. I used 3/4" ply just cause it's what I had lying around but I'm sure you could use some like 1/2" or even 1/4" - 3/8" project panels of MDF or something. You can use any type of wood you want, but heavier stuff is better because it has more mass. I highly suggest doing kerfs too so it can mould to the trunk too. Put a ton of silicone on one side and place it, and then fill up any gaps between the wood and the trunk lid. Then do a bead all around the wood to help hold it in place and prevent it from ripping out.