Sign in to follow this  
wannabang

Battery Isolator? Thoughts.

I have a Ford, and there's this feature that doesn't shut the radio off until the doors open. Also, I will be going to school this month, and campus is small enough that I won't be driving the car unless I'm heading to the mall of back home. From what I've read, an isolator seems necessary in my case (D3400 and XP950), but I'm not sure if the diode-style will be practical, and if it's safe to have an isolator rated for higher amps than the system draws.

I have a Ford, and there's this feature that doesn't shut the radio off until the doors open. Also, I will be going to school this month, and campus is small enough that I won't be driving the car unless I'm heading to the mall of back home. From what I've read, an isolator seems necessary in my case (D3400 and XP950), but I'm not sure if the diode-style will be practical, and if it's safe to have an isolator rated for higher amps than the system draws.

You dont need one .

Why do you think you need an isolator? The only reason you would need one is if you listen to your stereo with the ignition off/car not running.

You really dont need a isolator. Any body else have a opinion?

Why do you think you need an isolator? The only reason you would need one is if you listen to your stereo with the ignition off/car not running.

Well, the car plays the radio until the doors open, and I don't always immediately exit my car. Also, it will sit for lengthy periods of time outside since I'm going to college and campus is walkable.

Y'all know more than me, though. LoL.

If you listen to it for awhile(few minutes or more) while the engine is off, then add one. You really need to make sure you stick a charger on your agm battery every once in awhile as well.

If you are concerned with power draw from you amps, just wire the remote turn on to an accessory that turns off when the key is turned off.

I think I'll just modify my habits to opening the door when I turn the car off. LoL

I think I'll just modify my habits to opening the door when I turn the car off. LoL

Or just turn your head unit off when you get there.

you dont need one.

and dont listen to your stereo for periods of time with the car off..

I know the car I have times out after 5 min. and shuts it off.

Mine doesn't time out that I know of, but the lights stay on for ten minutes when the doors remain open for longer, unless I lock it.

Mine doesn't time out that I know of, but the lights stay on for ten minutes when the doors remain open for longer, unless I lock it.

I know on my jeep it adjustable according to the owners manual. smile.png

The F150 times out at 10 minutes.

so does my town car.

Cool, I'll have to look into that. Thanks, fellas.