Basshead

Torres Box Tuning Calculator

UPDATED!!! finally got everything worked out that i wanted, plus a neat addition or two.

***When downloading, make sure it is saved with a .exe file extension, or it will not open properly. the 'Open with...' window will pop up otherwise*** (thanks gottahavbass917 and a user from another forum)

To do this, go to the folder that the calculator is in and click tools in the toolbar at the top (click alt on the keyboard if you can't see the toolbar). Then click folder options. then click the view tab, and in the advanced settings window, there's a check box that says 'hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck that and you will see the .uexe file extension on the calculator. Take out that U and save it (just as .exe) and it should work. Now you can go back and recheck the check box and hide known file types.

Also, should have said this from the get-go (I apologize) but thanks to Razor5070 for the help when i got stuck

Here's the new look:

calcoriginallayout.png

In a week or so, as long as I can make completely sure all kinks are worked out, I'm going to redo the layout and upload that as another download. The original one will stay up as well, but it'll be easier to fix anything and then redo the layout and upload rather than adjusting everything to fix and then readjusting everything. It'll be more for widescreen users and everything should be accessible from the get-go.

Also, I'm going to try to get it to download as an installer rather than a .exe (or .uexe). But I'm having issues with that as of now. So the current way will still have to do.

Here's the download link to the program:

Click to download Torres' Box Tuning Calculator

Here is an alternate download in a compressed folder:

Download Compressed Calculator

***you'll need the most up to date .net framwork for this program to work. click this link to get it***

.NET Framework

If you're .NET is up to date, and you're still having troubles opening the calculator, check to make sure it downloaded as a .exe file. It should have normally, but for some it may not. Rename it with a .exe format and it should work. Thanks to pervitizm for finding this solution.

For Mac users:

This is a windows based program, so it will not work on macs from a fresh download. You'll need to use either parallels, virtualbox, VMWare fusion, or wine.

There's port cut sheets in there, but one thing i did NOT include are cut sheets on how to cut the port if it bends. There's too many different ways to cut the sheets, and the coding to go into that would be too tedious to deal with. Maybe at another time down the road. Right now I want to get it uploaded and not have something silly holding it back. Plus, if you're building a speaker box, I'm sure you can go take some measurements in the box and see what the port should be

READ THE FAQ/HELP!!!!

I've answered questions repetitively because the help window was not read. So read that first please.

I've also included a FAQ/tip sheet with it this time around. So if you get confused with something, click there first. If you're STILL confused, send me a PM with any questions. With that being said, I'm still going to paste all the contents of the FAQ here.

Box Frequency Tuning Calculator - FAQ/Tip Guide

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

1 - First and foremost, the RE calculator is *not* spot on, and is limited in design, so no, it will not match this calculator.

2 - When doing an oddly shaped box such as a fiberglass box, or you know the volume of a certain box you have in mind

that you want to build, put the net volume in the 'Desired Net Volume' box. This will bypass all dimensions entered

preventing you from having to guess dimensions to get a certain net volume and will allow you to tinker with different

port sizes and tuning. So if you know you want a box with 4 cubic feet of net volume, enter '4' into that box and it

will allow you to adjust tuning accordingly to that specific volume. Keep in mind that any displacement nor port volume

is NOT subtracted from this total. Any number in this box will override any number in the 'Desired Gross Volume' box.

3 - The 'Desired Gross Volume' box acts much like the 'Desired Net Volume' box, except all displacements are taken into

effect.

4 - If the '# of ports' box is greater than 0, that will automatically get taken into effect and the calculator will ignore the

dimensions for slot ports.

5 - The '# of Common Port Walls' box refers to how many sides of the box are going to act as sides of the port. This is

done by looking at the port head on and counting how many sides of the box that face of the port uses as the port

walls. The port inside the box has nothing to do with the common port walls. Please refer to the links below for

examples.

6 - Aero ports have a defaulted thickness of 3/16" -- couldn't decide whether to use 1/8" or 1/4" so I went in the middle.

7 - Port length uses the box wall or baffle(s) as part of the port length. So a port that is 10" long with one baffle using .75"

wood will only need to be 9.25" long since the box wall or baffle(s) will account for the other .75". If using two baffles,

then it would be 8.5" long as the baffle will account for 1.5" of port length and so on.

8 - When using multiple ports, whether they be round or rectangular ports, the port length MUST be the same for each

port. The port length does **NOT** get divided among the ports. This will affect your net volume and severely

raise your tuning.

9 - Program resolution is set to 840 pixels in width and 780 pixels in height. Try to stay within this resolution for custom

backgrounds or program may lag. Using .png files will also help prevent program lag.

10 - The extra baffle box should only have a value if you plan on using multiple baffles. Leave blank or a zero if you are

only going to use a single baffle.

11 - Regular square/rectangle boxes do not need any numbers entered into the 'Height 2' or 'Depth 2' boxes.

12 - Pressing 'Enter' will prompt the program to print.

13 - PLEASE NOTE: 'Physical port length' refers to the length of the wood itself needed to build the port. This is NOT the

same as the effective port, or the port you entered into the port length box that the box will 'see'. You measure

on the inside of the port (against the port wall) to measure the physical port, in the same way you measure down

the middle of the port to get your actual, or effective, port length.

14 - When doing an external port, the full length of the port must be entered into the port length box. Then the length of

the external port in the 'External Port' box. This way the proper port length (the Port Length box) will be used for

the equation, and the proper volume will be added to the net volume (the volume of the external section of the port)

for proper tuning.

15 - On the cut sheets of boxes with different depths and heights, you'll notice 'H1' or 'D2' next to the measurements.

These represent which dimension is which. Here are two pictures to illustrate:

Box with one height, but two different depths:

angledcutsheet1.png

Box with two heights and two different depths:

angledcutsheet2.png

--The following are links that illustrate how each ported box is taken into effect in the calculator (sub and port position can be upwards with the same effect):

1 - Port with 0 common walls:

independentport.jpg

2 - Slot port with 1 common wall:

bottomportbox.jpg

3 - Slot port with 2 common walls:

middleportbox.jpg

4 - Slot port with 3 common walls:

slotportbox.jpg

--The images were made with Google Sketchup. Free to download: http://sketchup.google.com/

Should be 99% debugged (I think). But after staring at the same coding for so long, things are bound to slip by. So IF you do find something that seems out of place, PM me about it please. Only if you're certain about it. I dont want to go check something or explain how it's done several times over because it may be coded a certain way that you may be thinking differently. That'd be too tedious for me to do constantly.

Hope you guys like it the update smile.png

And if you appreciate my work, buy me a beer biggrin.png

https://www.paypal.c...d=KSKSZ2SBUV6RS

Edited by Basshead

so this is my first time using this program and right off hand it doesn't seem correct. i punch in 22.5Hx45Wx30D and it says my enclosure is only 6.32cubes net. then when i enter in my port with 3 common sides at 21Hx6W i can't even get my tuning anywhere near 30hz and infact the longer i make the port the higher the tuning. i guess i'm just too simple to use this program. i don't know

okay, i am too simple. i figured it out

i will say one error was pointed out to me that i didn't think would cause some problems, and it's been fixed. i also uploaded it before i put in the port ratio section. got ahead of myself fixing all the other things lol. but all is well now.

meh....i can't edit my post. here's the fixed downloads

Regular File

Compressed File

Changelog:

-Metric in millimeters and centimeters

-Changeable backgrounds and fonts. View the help window for more info.

-Individual inputs for bracing and subwoofer displacement

-User input for port thickness

-Added port ratio box

-Port area range removed

-Screen Shot button added. Will open MS paint and can save from there.

Edited by Basshead

I played with the new one. I put the same measurements in the old calc and the updated one and come up with different numbers.

height: 19.25

width: 44

depth: 25.5

port: 4.25 x 24 length: 26

.26 displacement

3 common port walls

old: 7.95 net 30.79hz

new: 8.55 net 29.69hz

I see the difference is in the port displacement. There is a new field for port thickness, but even if I make it zero it doesn't change much.

I changed the common port walls to 1 on the new update and they are real close to matching.

Thoughts?

damn...i'm gonna have to try to get a hold of my old one. somewhere somehow it got replaced lol. i thought i had it on a laptop, but it was the current one i was testing out : i'll check it out asap tho

in the meantime, could you post a screen shot up of the old one with the info you entered? i may be able to point something out, whether in the old one or something i did in the new one

Any update?

Click Me

there's a link for the newest update. i wish i was able to edit my first post :\ rather than having post after post of links. oh well.

in the meantime, could you post a screen shot up of the old one with the info you entered? i may be able to point something out, whether in the old one or something i did in the new one

oldh.jpg

newgk.jpg

when I change the number of baffles and port walls that's when the box stats become different

Edited by marq7890

it should do that because the calculator works within the dimensions entered. so extra baffles are 'placed' inside the box. now the differences in the 2 calculators are the port volume. i'll have to check into that. thanks for posting those