stiffler style

Critique one sa-12 box design

Hi,

I would like some thoughts on my box design. From what I've calculated, the numbers work. I'm tuning to 35 hz. The colors are to distinguish the different panels. Also, please disregard the different thickness of the walls. I didn't want to have to build the box again just to make the thickness right. The curved corners are to represent where I will kerf.

http://i.imgur.com/01zoy.png

It is 15" x 22" x 16"(outside).

Thanks

Edit* I don't know what I did, but the correct outside measurements are 26 3/4" x 16 1/2" x 15"

Edited by stiffler style

That's a lot of kerfing. Not an easy build for sure.

I haven't ran the numbers but I would rather put the 2nd baffle on the inside instead of the outside. Of course that will effect everything as well.

I haven't ran the numbers but I would rather put the 2nd baffle on the inside instead of the outside.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Don't get too anal about kerfing all the insides like that. Kerf the opening and just use 45's for the rest. With all those kerfs you are giving yourself a ton of chances to fuck up. Mess up one kerf and you have to replace the entire piece.

Also, what sub are you using that requires a quad baffle? You should be fine with just a single baffle + a flush mount, especially for a piece of wood that small.

EDIT: Just read the title, derp. Definitely don't need a quad baffle for that.

Edited by Kangaroux

Also, what sub are you using that requires a quad baffle? You should be fine with just a single baffle + a flush mount, especially for a piece of wood that small.

EDIT: Just read the title, derp. Definitely don't need a quad baffle for that.

Try again lol. That is just a double baffle.

Also, please disregard the different thickness of the walls. I didn't want to have to build the box again just to make the thickness right

Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and did the inner piece of the vent. This was my first time kerfing and although I had to do some filing on the edges of the cuts, the piece looks pretty good. I'm confident the outside kerfing will be much easier so I'm going to go ahead with the design.

I wish I did the baffles the way you two proposed. I jumped the gun on that one.

I'll be taking some pictures of the progress tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and did the inner piece of the vent. This was my first time kerfing and although I had to do some filing on the edges of the cuts, the piece looks pretty good. I'm confident the outside kerfing will be much easier so I'm going to go ahead with the design.

I wish I did the baffles the way you two proposed. I jumped the gun on that one.

I'll be taking some pictures of the progress tomorrow.

Put it inside anyway, shouldn't effect things much. It might raise tuning by 1.

Update:

I've been piecing together the box during my free time between classes. The inside port wall is not easy to install without doing a little damage to the kerfed edges. I had to do a little work on it to clean it up after the install. I just painted it (some is still wet in the picture).

Also, shitty Iphone camera.

http://i.imgur.com/5OLPZ.jpg

I have yet to cut the inside mounting hole, mount the front faceplate and the top piece.

Edited by stiffler style