So I decided on this unit awhile back, forgoing built in nav for a generally better unit for the money. Really like the interface and the Bluetooth is much more reliable and has much better audio quality than the Kenwood it replaced.

I'm having a problem with the unit though. I live in the desert and it's hot like hell here from time to time. On hot days when the truck has been sitting in the sun, the radio will activate the mute until the truck cools down enough from the AC and then it works fine. It's annoying but I can live with that. The problem is yesterday I was driving in the mountains were it most certainly was NOT hot, OAT was between 55 and 42 F with the interior temp set to 69, and the radio muted on me twice for about 20 min. The unit was not even warm to the touch either time. Any idea on the cause or the remedy?

Could be shorting speaker outputs from the head unit if you're using those or you don't have them taped off. That's my only thought, You could run a small 12v fan to help disperse the heat from the back of the heat sink. I would let it run contentiously since the current draw would be pretty low. But your best guess is mine, Lol.

Another prime example as to why I dislike Pioneer.

Try hitting the reset button on the radio, maybe the thermostat got confused.

but you own so many 880prs like they're going to be the post apocalyptic currency?

but you own so many 880prs like they're going to be the post apocalyptic currency?

I own 2 800's and an 880. lol

Everyone knows the PRS series is different from the other Pioneer lines.