Ndnkobra

1 12" Fi Q in a ported enclosure or 2 12" in a sealed?

Hey guys, I just wanted your opinions on what enclosure would be better in terms of "loudness". That may be defined differently for some of you, but I'm looking for a low boomier type of bass. I'm not sure what setup I have planned for will be loudest though. Here's what I got so far:

Setup 1: 1 12" Fi Q in a 2.5 cu ft ported enclosure @ 32 hz, running 900w @ 2 Ohms.

OR

Setup 2: 2 12" Fi Q in a 2.5 cu ft sealed enclosure, both wired down to run 600w each @ 1 ohm.

The reason I don't do both speakers in a ported enclosure is because I don't have 4-5 cubes of space to offer in my car trunk. Gotta put the groceries somewhere, you know? Anyways, I'd love to hear some thoughts and opinions on what would be best. Thanks again!

Edited by Ndnkobra

I would rather run the single 12 ported, and it's cheaper.

Depends on the music you listen to. If you listen to primarily rock then I would go two of the high qts sealed. Two 12's sealed would give more output over a larger range than one 12 ported. But if all you listen to is rap, dub step, pop, etc then one ported would be the way to go.

Just my opinion

If I had the choice I would choose the pair. You are also less likely to damage the subs that way. You will also be operating them in a more linear region for the same given output level as the single driver. You also don't have to worry about a SSF when running sealed.

Don't think there is a sound quality advantage of a sealed box though, they actaully exhibit more distortion near resonance (due to higher driver excursion) than a vented alignment and group delay differences are debatable when tuned low enough...

It is also easier to do a sealed box right if you don't have alot of experience...

From an output perspective out of your proposed options the single ported woofer would have up to 6db more output under 50hz (before power compression), but would have less output above 50hz.

Personally if you don't have access to an EQ I'd rather go for the sealed pair for the reasons 95Honda mentioned & my personal preference against the peaky & bottom-heavy response of an unequalized ported enclosure in a vehicle. But if your goal is strictly focused on output then a single ported driver is going to have more output below 50hz.

I usually lean towards more cone and less power per sub. ;)

I usually lean towards more cone and less power per sub. wink.png

I always end up looking for more cone area and more power... ehh.gif

Wouldn't two 10"s ported get louder than one 12" ported or two 12"s sealed? If space is an issue I would do the 10"s and they are "cheaper".