J2phat4u

Amp Clamping

I just purchased a second Rockford Fosgate 2500-1bdcp and plan on strapping both amps together. Do you guys think i can safely play my 2 fully loaded BL 12's with this setup? I know both amps strapped will be around 6,000 watts or more.

Edited by 95 south

You got your terminology mixed up. Clamping us measuring the power from the amps. Strapping is connecting them to make 1 big amp and only use 1 bass knob for the pair. It consist of a master amp and a slave amp.

no, if you are looking to run that much power you should invest in the BTL's

Thanks for the insight. It was what i meant to say.

Ontop of that you wont be getting 6000+ watts out of strapping those two amps..

just because you have say 16K on tap .....

1. does not mean its 16 clean use able power.

2 does not mean you have to USE more power then you need.... head room is a very nice thing to have in a daily stereo.

So I can safely run both amps strapped and not kill my subs?

yeah subs are stupid they do what they are told......

amps are told to do by you.. the user... so if you tell them to kill the subs they will.... if your wise and build the box correctly and adjust your amps and head unit accordingly then you will be just fine

Ok thanks bigjon, I already have my system setup with a DMM so its running pretty clean right now. The enclosure is a beast so no worries there as well.

yeah subs are stupid they do what they are told......

amps are told to do by you.. the user... so if you tell them to kill the subs they will.... if your wise and build the box correctly and adjust your amps and head unit accordingly then you will be just fine

very good way of describing how a system works!! cookiemonster.gif

no, if you are looking to run that much power you should invest in the BTL's

Or the SP4's..

I already have my system setup with a DMM so its running pretty clean right now.

The beginning of that sentence and the end of that sentence have nothing in common. If one was meant to imply the other, then there is no way in hell you should be strapping your amps together. That is, unlike you like replacing things.

Add to that most likely your goals and reasons for doubling up are wrong, as in there are probably more cost effective and easier way to reach them.

Why are you trying to run that much power? By asking that I mean what are your goals? There is NO WAY bl's can take 3k a piece for an extended period of time, but that doesn't mean that you can't use those amps. I see that in your sig you are using a capacitor, that should help power 6000 watts.

you're gonna need a bigger boat.

Those amps are usually good for 3200ish.

That being said alot of them will do rated @2ohms. I still wouldn't send 2500 to a BL.

I see that in your sig you are using a capacitor, that should help power 6000 watts.

LMAO

just because you have say 16K on tap .....

1. does not mean its 16 clean use able power.

2 does not mean you have to USE more power then you need.... head room is a very nice thing to have in a daily stereo.

If you are doubling amplification without increasing your electrical support you might end up with terrible issues, but provided you have the batteries to back up the amps then you really can't have too much power. You can always turn the gains down, but cranking the gains up to full clipping on too little amplification is what most beginners do. Headroom is very nice to have in case you want to show off a little. Those subs can take some abuse for short periods of time.

I see that in your sig you are using a capacitor, that should help power 6000 watts.

LMAO

Exactly why I said what I said. To run two 2.5kbdcp amps you need some rock solid electrical. You probably have weak electrical right now. If you just beef it up you will get more power out of your amps and more beat from your woofers. One 2.5k should be plenty for two 12s.

I got 2 more BL's so now the 4 should be ok running those amps.

Would it be too much of a blanket statement to say "If you're using a capacitor, you shouldn't strap your amps"?

Would it be too much of a blanket statement to say "If you're using a capacitor, you shouldn't strap your amps"?

Yes it would. Using a capacitor says nothing about what the person knows about audio.

Using a capacitor wrong does.

Four BL's should handle those amps strapped, just make sure you have the electrical to back the amps up or else they will be gone.

The cap is out now.....I have 2 XS power 2700 batteries in the rear and a 270 amp Mechman alt up front.