Sign in to follow this  
00F150guy

Ordering an SSA ICON 12 soon

As the title says, I should be ordering an ICON soon enough. I just have to wait and see when the credit card payment goes through before I can order this beautiful sub. My current system is two Kicker Comp 10" subs in about a 1.2ft^3 sealed down firing box. The amp is a Kicker a Zx400.1 which is birthed at 484 watts. For the mids/highs I have two Infinity referrence 6.5s up front with a Rockford Prime R125 putting out 140 watts to the front two speakers. For the rear I have two Alpine Type S 6x8s ran off my Kenwood Kdc-mp345u head unit. My electrical is a stock alt, Die Hard Platinum Deep Cycle under the hood, big 3 done in 0 gauge Knukoncepts wire, and 4 gauge wire running to both amps.

For the ICON, I built a 2.5ft^3 net ported box tuned to around 32 hz with 41.5 square inches of port area and I will be powering it with an Audioque1200.1D. The box was the first one ive ever built, so its a little rough and the tuning is probably a little off but no more than 1 hert. I did take the liberty to brace the box as much as I can. I used five 3/4" dowels to brace the box and some 3/4"x 3/4" pieces of wood to help brace the joints. Im so pumped for this system! This is the second system of mine and I plan to keep on learning and progressing my skills.

Nice choice. :)

The enclosure sounds nice, post some pics if you can. The ICON is a great subwoofer.

The enclosure sounds nice, post some pics if you can. The ICON is a great subwoofer.

Ehhh The enclosure isnt too visually appealing what so ever haha. Not only was it the first enclosure Ive ever built, it was the first thing ive ever built out of wood period. Not to mention the fact that Home Depot didnt cut the pieces to the exact measurements.

It's all good, we all start somewhere.

Ordered the Icon not too long ago. Now the waiting game begins. Thankfully I finally hooked up the crossovers and tweeters for my Infinity components. They sound pretty good now. Hopefully they are loud enough for the Icon. If not, a 4 channel amp will be replacing the 2 channel Rockford I have.

Great choice!

I got my sub from UPS yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This sub is a monster compared to my Kicker Comp 10's!

Congratulations on the purchase!! You're going to love that sub for sure.

Like others have said, that box may be rough and not as visually appealing as you would like, but we all have to start somewhere and everyone's first box was rough. It's like any other skill, it gets better with time and the more you do the better you'll get.

Don't be afraid to post the pics up, no one here is going rip on it or anything. Aside from the occasional tease we do strive to give good constructive criticism and most members here are very respective of that and respectable people. So go on and post up some build pics, I'd love to see them as well.

I got my sub from UPS yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This sub is a monster compared to my Kicker Comp 10's!

:)

Well...Out of nowhere, my truck's tranny blew yesterday. So hooking up this beautiful sub will have to wait a little bit until it is fixed. But here are some pics of the build (hopefully).

First couple walls built:

Untitled-2.jpg

Now the port and some bracing:

70DE49E6-4BEC-4818-9697-1837F4E8200F-2094-0000015E830CE5A3.jpg

A little extra bracing:

21A9CFFE-C2D3-43DF-B3D7-491164F4E933-2094-0000015ECF882F41.jpg

Fully constructed : (I made a nice gouge in the sub cutout hole)angry2.gif

0F6A85BD-6C5E-430A-BE4D-95DB25CE448B-2094-00000161A1EBFE73.jpg

Painted port:

7BF92760-CBB6-44B1-9025-9477FF480D12-2094-0000015F28612119.jpg

Finished product:

4ACDE1AF-DE8E-4010-B9CC-A0C15E94882E-2094-0000015F77E93AD9.jpg

EF672438-A66D-482D-B902-C22FBA6BFF79-2094-00000162255BC64D.jpg

Comparison:

3AA1A853-849D-4E92-825F-B27D8866377C-2094-0000015FA72C953B.jpg

Edited by 00F150guy

Looking good.

^^^ I agree. That's a VERY respectable job for your first enclosure! I've seen MUCH MUCH worse from kids around here on their first enclosures. Hell, my first enclosures were a joke. I still have them, I'll get a pic and post it someday. Of course I was 13yo when I built my first ones so at least I have a little excuse, lol.

Honestly, that's not bad at all for a first time attempt at building an enclosure. I'm sure you learned a bit from it and the next one will be even better. Congrats!!

Thank guys. I hope this thing doesn't leak air. I didn't think of putting silicone down before installing the port. So now the port doesn't have any silicone on it at all. I did put a lot of glue though so hopefully it stays air tight

HYFR!