chainsaw

when it rains...it pours

so among the many things that can and will go wrong(i.e. wife and son in hospital sick, daughter with my maw maw sick, a damn hurricane) , my car is crapping out. the mechanic diagnosed it with a bad throttle body. 900 from dealer, 730 on internet, and a whopping $24 from a junkyard...if i can find one; no luck so far. the part that troubles me is that in additon to this problem, the mechanic tells me he concerend about my engine. i have 93,000 miles and he said the engine is wearing out as if has double or triple that. i bought the car in September of 05 as a demo with 27,000 on it. i can attest that in the last seven years, the car has been regularly maintained and serviced. i have never driven it hard. its never been in a flood, or any other extreme situation that would explain premature wear. what do i do? the mechanic says he thinks it will last me another 50k miles or so. that could be as much as another 5 years or as little as 2. i had my heart set on keeping it

Did you check rockauto.com for parts ?

Did you check rockauto.com for parts ?

couldn't get their menu to work on mobile device. just found the part at lkq near me for arround 300 and they pull it. just gotta weight til next week once tropical storm aftermath dies down. i just dont get the other problems. it smokes a little on start up,etc.

so among the many things that can and will go wrong(i.e. wife and son in hospital sick, daughter with my maw maw sick, a damn hurricane) , my car is crapping out. the mechanic diagnosed it with a bad throttle body. 900 from dealer, 730 on internet, and a whopping $24 from a junkyard...if i can find one; no luck so far. the part that troubles me is that in additon to this problem, the mechanic tells me he concerend about my engine. i have 93,000 miles and he said the engine is wearing out as if has double or triple that. i bought the car in September of 05 as a demo with 27,000 on it. i can attest that in the last seven years, the car has been regularly maintained and serviced. i have never driven it hard. its never been in a flood, or any other extreme situation that would explain premature wear. what do i do? the mechanic says he thinks it will last me another 50k miles or so. that could be as much as another 5 years or as little as 2. i had my heart set on keeping it

Drop it like a bad habit...or start planning to. I'm in a similar situation (low mileage car having high mileage problems)

rockauto kicks ass.

I feel you on the storm. I'm about to get on 90 in gulfport and make a video lol

rockauto kicks ass.

Yes they do. Great CS if you don't know what you need and fast shipping for when you do.

What vehicle?

What vehicle?

I'm going to guess a 2005 Toyota Camry LE.

What vehicle?

I don't like to guess, but if you are correct, I will give you an e-cookie.

As far as your mechanic being concerned about your engine, did he tell you why? I am curious as to how he can deem it is "wearing out" two or three times the "normal" rate.

What vehicle?

As far as your mechanic being concerned about your engine, did he tell you why? I am curious as to how he can deem it is "wearing out" two or three times the "normal" rate.

I can confirm with 98% certainty it is a 05 Toyota.

Mechanics is Baton Rouge area are all retards for the most part, very few true "mechanics" left, most are just "parts changers" these days.

I am curious as to how he can deem it is "wearing out" two or three times the "normal" rate.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I was wondering this as well.

What vehicle?

I was just fucking with ya. :P

Well, I guess you don't want your e-cookie.

Nah cookies aren't healthy. :D

If that is indeed the vehicle, it has an electronic throttle body. Scour the web for rebuilders. This is getting very common nowadays. The aftermarket may have caught on by now also. Search Toyota Nation or Camryforums.com. There are many Toyota certified techs there who can help. It could be something as simple as a stripped gear that you may be able to repair yourself.

Nah cookies aren't healthy. biggrin.png

The study I read stated otherwise.popcorn2.gif

Nah cookies aren't healthy. biggrin.png

The study I read stated otherwise.popcorn2.gif

:lol:

OP, consider this a mega bump. hehe

it is in fact an 05 camry le, with 2.4 l i4 engine. the only reason the mechanics words hold water is that he did not try and upsell me or any other bull shit. i have had a little smoke when starting fo a while and assumed a head gascet would need to be replaced. i am not mechanicly inclined at all though

A little bit of smoke is no big deal. If he was truly concerned he would have done a compression test and he would have given you the results. I would really look into those two forums as you will learn a lot. You can possibly prevent getting screwed by a dishonest mechanic.