coobies5

Uh oh....Xcon cracked magnet

Well, I was changing the subs to their new box when I noticed one of my Xcon's has a cracked magnet all the way around. I have no idea how it happened or what may have caused it. I haven't noticed any performance issues from it though.

Here is the other sub which is fine

582590_4522506630329_353997766_n.jpg

here is the sub that is cracked

225111_4522507830359_1457540526_n.jpg

377338_4522508750382_808663111_n.jpg

196706_4522509350397_392056980_n.jpg

Wow that is crazy.

Yeah, I've never seen it before ever.....and it's cracked all the way around.

i have seen them cracked, but never like that... balls thats wide!

ouch

It's going to have to be sent in, I bumped the box it was sitting on and the magnet shifted and I pressed down on the cone and could feel it scraping against something, so I'm just going to send it in once I hear something from Aaron or Mark.

You bumped the enclosure and that happened? I'm just confused as I just received one in too big of a package with nothing inside to hold it in place and it was okay. Not from SSA I should add. I can't believe that happened without serious force, that's nuts.

You bumped the enclosure and that happened? I'm just confused as I just received one in too big of a package with nothing inside to hold it in place and it was okay. Not from SSA I should add. I can't believe that happened without serious force, that's nuts.

I was moving my old box and it caught the edge of the new one where the sub was sitting and it moved the box a little. I bought these xcons used and they were fine, but they were both shipped in the boxes that SSA used.

There is no telling what happened to crack the magnet, they were absolutely flawless when I received the subs and just now after pulling them out and changing enclosures, I noticed something was wrong. (Just yesterday I was playing them for a friend and there was no issues with them at all, no funny sounds or any signs of trouble)

Damn, sorry man. I hope that it's an easy (cheap) fix.

jb weld that bish!! haha jk jk. hope all is well with it

jb weld that bish!! haha jk jk. hope all is well with it

That would probably work....but.....hahahaha

Wow, that's crazy. Something tells me it was dropped at one point but not hard enough to actually crack anything, at least on the outside. Playing it quite a bit may have caused the crack to grow

sadly i cant see it being a cheap fix,

im sure it needs a new motor and recone of course, sucks man.

i also cant see jb weld working, and the magnet is already broken and spread and out of alignment if i read correctly.

on the bright side.. if you ever thought of changing your impedance now is the time!

good luck buddy,

Wow, that's crazy. Something tells me it was dropped at one point but not hard enough to actually crack anything, at least on the outside. Playing it quite a bit may have caused the crack to grow

That could be a possibility...I can vouch for one of them to not have been dropped, had a friend pick it up and bring it to me, as for the other one, it was shipped from up north and who knows what all happened on that journey.

sadly i cant see it being a cheap fix,

im sure it needs a new motor and recone of course, sucks man.

i also cant see jb weld working, and the magnet is already broken and spread and out of alignment if i read correctly.

on the bright side.. if you ever thought of changing your impedance now is the time!

good luck buddy,

I can only hope that it's not too bad! New motor is a must.

That's a wide crack mann...

Yeah it is, I'm surprised with how big that crack is and that it is all the way around that it never gave me any trouble, no sounds...smells....or anything! I guess that is a prime example of made in the USA quality!

Cracks like that, on that type of material usually work their way from inside out.

I had a Q 15 that broke very simaler to that. but it was dropped by FEDEX

Holy chit man hope you git-er fixed!!!

Crap that makes me nervous. My Q showed up bouncing around in the cardboard box. Small chip on the magnet but looked ok otherwise. Hope mine doesn't look like that in a few months.

Wow, that is a first. Got your email, I have a bunch in front to knock out. I believe it should be a simple slug swap, we will have to find out what the cost is a this is the first time for this.

Wow, that is a first. Got your email, I have a bunch in front to knock out. I believe it should be a simple slug swap, we will have to find out what the cost is a this is the first time for this.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the quick response!

Crap that makes me nervous. My Q showed up bouncing around in the cardboard box. Small chip on the magnet but looked ok otherwise. Hope mine doesn't look like that in a few months.

My Btl had a small chip on the magnet and it performed awesome. I'd just be concerned with cracks or if its multiple magnets, if they were out of alignment.

Yikes for that crack. The quality of these subs are excellent. It's getting them shipped in one piece. I know even a minor scrape or chip is cosmetic, but when you're buying something new you want it to be in its best condition.

UPS and FedEx suck. I would rather pay more for shipping if it could withstand their abuse. Not even purposeful abuse. Lifting 50 lb boxes 8 hours or more takes a toll on a person. Tired equals sloppy. Plus shit does fall in the truck.

For packaging, I'm talking using a wood crate, filled with packing peanuts, styrofoam and, memory foam, wrapped in bubble wrap inside a cardboard box with a shim of mdf on all outside edges, stamped fragile in big bold red letters. I would rather have it over packaged and secured. End of rant...