Sencheezy

High Power SSA Driver

As I'm still going through early stages of planning for my upcoming system, I have been trying to figure out the subwoofer combo I can come up with to maximize the output of my vehicle. And as I was looking at different drivers, wanting to stay with SSA, I thought I was set on 6 12" zcons. But for shits and giggles, I looked at the SMD driver as well, and noticed how much less space they require when comparing. Utilizing the demensions I have available, I could potentially comfortably fit 4 18"s SMD drivers. So my question is, being a die hard SSA fan, I was wondering if there are any works in producing a simliar driver. I won't be ready to purchase for at least another 8 months, so I'm in no hurry, was just wondering and hoping if there was a driver in the making, or at least being talk about that shares similar specs (high rms rating & require small space).

I believe SSA Steve uses his ZCONs in a smaller than recommended setup. What kind of airspace do you have?

Doesn't make much sense to buy a driver based on it's rms, but hey, higher rms = better, right? sad.png

I'm curious if you have modeled both drivers for comparison?

Edited by stefanhinote

I believe Steve uses his in a smaller than recommended setup. What kind of airspace do you have?

Steve sells the DD-1. Basically everything he does is to rip you off.

I believe Steve uses his in a smaller than recommended setup. What kind of airspace do you have?

Our Steve...not that dip shit.

Time to reveal the super secret AHC woofer. 0_o

Edited to be more clear.

You mean the real Steve MEAD.

You have to also take into account the airspace of the cabin after the wall is built. As to how much cone area would be effective in the space.

Edited by bassahaulic

Doesn't make much sense to buy a driver based on it's rms, but hey, higher rms = better, right? sad.png

I'm curious if you have modeled both drivers for comparison?

Its not just the rms, its also the required space that had me interested. Also, I could give two shits about smd himself, its only the driver that I was looking at, not the name on the dustcap.

How much power are you wanting to run? How much room do you have net? What are you looking to do as far as loudness or playability?

If you're really going to run bawls to the walls amounts of power I would suggest running the ZCON in the lower end spectrum of box sizes. I've messed with box sizes + power, when I ran 6-7 cubes at 5k+ I ran into mechanical issues tearing spiders, etc. When I dropped it down to around 5 cubes that was the best space for running a shit ton of power. I didn't have anymore mechanical issues and got some good numbers out of it.

I was referring to the box size specs that Steve has on the SMD. Thought you meant Steve Mead was running an SMD, lol. Hopefully that is clear now. :P

I run my zcons in 3 cubes each. May not be optimal but at my power level.... It's working. I'm interested in what Aaron has to say though. It will be hard to improve upon the zcon.

I was referring to the box size specs that Steve has on the SMD. Thought you meant Steve Mead was running an SMD, lol. Hopefully that is clear now. tongue.png

I figured the recommendation would be from AA/Fi, and has a lower end point for those that are going to run tons of power and burp shit.

But wtf do I know, only speculating here. :P

I run my zcons in 3 cubes each. May not be optimal but at my power level.... It's working. I'm interested in what Aaron has to say though. It will be hard to improve upon the zcon.

There was rumor of a 4" coil driver, but with how busy they have been I'm not sure if that is still on the table.

Need to say no comment at this moment, before anything is set in stone either way. May have more info soon. ;)

Need to say no comment at this moment, before anything is set in stone either way. May have more info soon. wink.png

jman.gif

There was rumor of a 4" coil driver, but with how busy they have been I'm not sure if that is still on the table.

No Comment :)

Need to say no comment at this moment, before anything is set in stone either way. May have more info soon. wink.png

Thank you for answering sir, really appreciated.

No Comment smile.png

Great to hear. Thank you :)

Senchez just jumped up & did the happy dance for hearing even the slightest possibility of this being offered in the future ;)

Running my 18s 5cubesfor each after port theyblove it

Wonder what the new one would be called?

We have a D-G-I-X-Z(con) right now...

Maybe we'll get into numbers now?

The 4Con?

Wonder what the new one would be called?

We have a D-G-I-X-Z(con) right now...

Maybe we'll get into numbers now?

The 4Con?

The 4Chan driver.