Shogen

This is kinda against the rules, Sorry but need help....

So I know, I know.... "no VS threads" .... Not totally sure whether this completely falls under that but here we go....

So, I've realized I made the wrong decision for tweeters in my car... LPG aluminum tweets .... Cannot be crossed lower than 4k and that is with lower power/lower volume.... 5k is much better.... This will not work for me anymore... I've learned that now and need to move onto something better for me...

Currently using my Pioneer HU for active setup and going through a MB Quart 4.125 ....

I am looking at these guys:

Vifa NE25VTS-04

Specifications: • Power handling: 80 watts RMS/160 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.1 ohms • Frequency response: 777-25,000 Hz • Fs: 777 Hz • SPL: 92.0 dB 2.83/1m • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 2.6", Cutout diameter: 1.9", Depth: 1.6"

Morel CAT 378

Specifications: • Power handling: 200 watts RMS/280 watts max • VCdia: 1-1/8" • Impedance: 8 ohms • DC resistance: 5.2 ohms • Frequency response: 1,800-20,000 Hz • Fs: 700 Hz • SPL: 93 dB 1W/1m • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 3.70", Cutout diameter: 2.83", Depth: 2.32"

I have been eyeballing the Vifa for quite some time now but not pulling the trigger just yet.... The Morel came up in another thread and I saw that the specs were similar but it's advertised as a sort of "hyrid" tweeter .. My biggest problem is not install or anything... But which would be louder on the power given... Not that I want to be heard from farther away but I want to have more headroom as far as EQ and balancing without much struggle... I'm looking to improve the clarity and range...I do not have a specific driver to match up with it yet but any suggestions would be great... And wondering if I can fit an 7-8" mid to pair with it... .Help I'm lost....

Music tastes: Pretty Lights Masta Ace K-OS John Legend

Robin Thicke Kalimba Eptic Aloe Blacc
Arrested Development Camp Lo The Pharcyde Slick Rick Putamayo Los Compadres Dir En Grey Gorillaz June

Highly suggest you guys check out the music I listen to so you know what I'm after.... It's really wide and I'd like to be able to play it all....

Any and all help much appreciated....!!!

Edited by Shogen

Go Vifa.......Less or a wallet rape than Morel usually........easier to un-fuck a possible mistake.

:)

J

Go Vifa.......Less or a wallet rape than Morel usually........easier to un-fuck a possible mistake.

smile.png

J

lol... was kind of thinking the same but not so simply put... hahahaha

Sorry bro. Today has been a shittastic day and I am in a 'heavy drinking on no food' mood. So needless to say the filter for my brain to mouth.hands has been disabled.

J

Sorry bro. Today has been a shittastic day and I am in a 'heavy drinking on no food' mood. So needless to say the filter for my brain to mouth.hands has been disabled.

J

no worries man... I got a laugh at it... What you drinking anyways? lemonade?

No idea on either of those drivers, but your going to need to chose a woofer as well.

Check out the peerless sls, exodus ex-anarchy.

There's also a seas prestige with a reed cone 7" that comes in a kit with some seas prestige tweeters, so you already know those drivers can mate up well depending on the mounting axis and install.

6"-7" is probably about it to mate with a large format tweeter. 8" and upwards is going to be a bitch to mate.

Edited by stefanhinote

No idea on either of those drivers, but your going to need to chose a woofer as well.

There's also a seas prestige with a reed cone 7" that comes in a kit with some seas prestige tweeters, so you already know those drivers can mate up well depending on the mounting axis and install.

madisound??? Yea, I know I'll have to mate to woofer with it... I'm not specific on that... Since I mainly want to get a good tweeter that can go lower.... Thanks, I'm gonna look at those

madisound??? Yea, I know I'll have to mate to woofer with it... I'm not specific on that... Since I mainly want to get a good tweeter that can go lower.... Thanks, I'm gonna look at those

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-woofers-6-7/seas-prestige-er18rnx-h1456-7-reed-paper-cone-woofer/

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-soft-dome-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tdfc-h1189-textile-dome-tweeter/

Yeah. I would definitely do some research though, as there may be other drivers better suited.

6"-7" is probably about it to mate with a large format tweeter. 8" and upwards is going to be a bitch to mate.

These: Seas Reed paper cone

h1456.jpg

Thread exemplifies why the rules are written like they are. Neither of those tweeters are logical choices for you. Has nothing to do with your "wide" selection of tracks there either.

Thread exemplifies why the rules are written like they are. Neither of those tweeters are logical choices for you. Has nothing to do with your "wide" selection of tracks there either.

I knew I probably shouldn't have narrowed it down to just those two tweets but it seems that my current setup I'm missing more than I should.

Now excluding those tweeters as my only options, what characteristics should I be looking for in as tweeter? Lower/lowest FS? 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Highest sensitivity? I'm fully aware of compromise so I need to know if I'm just looking at this the wrong way. I'm willing to give up "loudness" for the rabbits I need our want. I can adjust the rest(EQ) to even out the sound.

I knew I probably shouldn't have narrowed it down to just those two tweets but it seems that my current setup I'm missing more than I should.

Now excluding those tweeters as my only options, what characteristics should I be looking for in as tweeter? Lower/lowest FS? 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Highest sensitivity? I'm fully aware of compromise so I need to know if I'm just looking at this the wrong way. I'm willing to give up "loudness" for the rabbits I need our want. I can adjust the rest(EQ) to even out the sound.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Re since tweeters can be loud on little power. Sensitivity somewhat similar thinking process. I wouldn't rely on EQ too much, it's nice for fixing small stuff, but don't want to be super reliant on it. Fs isn't a bad idea if your looking to cross in some frequency range, and the fs happens to be above it. Also nice if graphs are supplied with the T/S specs, or plug the specs into a modeling program.

Other then that I don't have much good advise on picking a tweeter for xxx usage. For me it's sorta pissing in the wind. :P

You should start the thread like it should have been. With your goals, desires, needs, mounting locations, power, processing, and even better to describe what you don't like about what you have and why. Then we can help narrow that down.

As for what to look for, you need to pretty much look at ALL of the parameters. If they don't mean anything to you then it's best to ask for help in searching.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Re since tweeters can be loud on little power. Sensitivity somewhat similar thinking process. I wouldn't rely on EQ too much, it's nice for fixing small stuff, but don't want to be super reliant on it. Fs isn't a bad idea if your looking to cross in some frequency range, and the fs happens to be above it. Also nice if graphs are supplied with the T/S specs, or plug the specs into a modeling program.

Other then that I don't have much good advise on picking a tweeter for xxx usage. For me it's sorta pissing in the wind. :P

Well I've been talking with Randy and he made a few suggestions with my current setup to try as far as settings for the tweeter. So I crossed them at 2.5k and I EQ'd a bit at 3.15k since it was piercing. Now I have to aim these guys better and see where I go from there. If I'm not satisfied then I'm gonna look at getting something new and trying it out.

You should start the thread like it should have been. With your goals, desires, needs, mounting locations, power, processing, and even better to describe what you don't like about what you have and why. Then we can help narrow that down.

As for what to look for, you need to pretty much look at ALL of the parameters. If they don't mean anything to you then it's best to ask for help in searching.

That's pretty much what I was looking for as far as help goes. I just posted those tweeters to show what I have been looking at so someone could tell me if they are what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I know what the specs are and I was looking at the graphs as well to give me an idea of usable frequency slightly off axis since I know I can't or might not have them dead on axis. I listed what I didn't like about my current setup. But it's mainly stage height I guess. It's almost as if the music is coming from below me at all times. I mean it's clear but didn't sound right. The adjustments I did have helped but I'm gonna see if aiming it makes it better. But who knows.

J

no worries man... I got a laugh at it... What you drinking anyways? lemonade?

LOL Rum and Dr. Pepper.

J

Other then that I don't have much good advise on picking a tweeter for xxx usage. For me it's sorta pissing in the wind. tongue.png

Well I've been talking with Randy and he made a few suggestions with my current setup to try as far as settings for the tweeter. So I crossed them at 2.5k and I EQ'd a bit at 3.15k since it was piercing. Now I have to aim these guys better and see where I go from there. If I'm not satisfied then I'm gonna look at getting something new and trying it out.

That doesn't help or describe anything.

-aiming, location, driver, processing, what you are blending it with, and continue.

That's pretty much what I was looking for as far as help goes. I just posted those tweeters to show what I have been looking at so someone could tell me if they are what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I know what the specs are and I was looking at the graphs as well to give me an idea of usable frequency slightly off axis since I know I can't or might not have them dead on axis. I listed what I didn't like about my current setup. But it's mainly stage height I guess. It's almost as if the music is coming from below me at all times. I mean it's clear but didn't sound right. The adjustments I did have helped but I'm gonna see if aiming it makes it better. But who knows.

Actually you said you didn't like the LPG's since you had to cross them high...and that you want something better.

I find that amusing. That is a stellar tweet. If you don't like it, you should blame the install not the tweeter. Or at least describe what you don't like about it. Just playing lower you can grab anything with a lowish FS, but don't go nuts picking only based on that.

Thank you. So I've not attacked install yet but I'm going to now. They did sound great to me at first but I'm not sure what changed. But at higher than moderate listening levels they seem to break up easily unless crossed at 5k which I believe is making the sound almost lost. I'm assuming that I possibly had them crossed too low and it messed up the sound. I also don't have a mid yet which I'll get into another time.

I just dropped the crossover point to 2.5k which made it louder and brought the music up higher. But it sounded way to screechy. So I adjusted 3-5k down some and it seemed to tame it quite a bit. I'm thinking that I might have to do the same at 10k and 12k.

I'm using my p880 and an acoustic 4x60.

Double post FTL

Edited by Shogen

Thank you. So I've not attacked install yet but I'm going to now. They did sound great to me at first but I'm not sure what changed. But at higher than moderate listening levels they seem to break up easily unless crossed at 5k which I believe is making the sound almost lost. I'm assuming that I possibly had them crossed too low and it messed up the sound. I also don't have a mid yet which I'll get into another time.

I just dropped the crossover point to 2.5k which made it louder and brought the music up higher. But it sounded way to screechy. So I adjusted 3-5k down some and it seemed to tame it quite a bit. I'm thinking that I might have to do the same at 10k and 12k.

5k, weird. What slope? Although even with something pretty shallow I'm still surprised.

5k, weird. What slope? Although even with something pretty shallow I'm still surprised.

24db as I didn't want it to play lower than 5k at all. :-

24db as I didn't want it to play lower than 5k at all. :-

That's bizarre.

Yes. It is. As I got this tweeter under the assumption of my research where users were able to cross down to 2.5k. It's there now and I'll keep playing with the EQ. I'm going to build some temporary pods so I can aim the tweeters and see if that changes much.