Ndnkobra

Difference between 1st and 2nd Generation Q woofers

Hey everyone/Fi Staff. I just took a look at the current version of the Q model sub in comparison to the one I bought 3 years ago and man do I see some changes. I still have my first Q and am in love with it, but I wanted to know what changes have been made from the first version. First thing I noticed is that Fi has been feeding their subs mass gainers. My 12" Q was 30 pounds when I bought it, and now it's 42 pounds. I'm assuming the magnet is now able to handle more power along with other things.

Also, is the cone design exactly the same between the first and second generation Q? The reason I'm asking is because in case I ever need to buy a recone, I'll know that I'll be able to do it. Still in love with the first version of the sub, and it's still running like the day it was delivered. Props to Fi and their eye for consistant quality, and anyone who is ran a first generation Q and upgraded to a second generation, please have some input on any differences you notice. Thanks!

I'm assuming the magnet is now able to handle more power along with other things.

Magnets are what gives the speaker strength to control the voice coil and doesn't have too much to do with power handling. The diameter and cooling methods, as well as materials, of the voice coil are what really determines thermal power handling, while suspension parts like spiders contribute to mechanical power handling. www.bcae1.com has a wealth of basic information accessible to the lay-man, like me. There are plenty of people on this forum who could get so technical your eyes will roll back into your head and you start to drool, but they won't do that unless you ask!

The soft parts are the same for the most part, spiders are different now on the most recent versions.

The motor/cooling technology is significantly different then the previous Q. It is simply a continuation in more advanced design that happens over a period of time :).

The soft parts are the same for the most part, spiders are different now on the most recent versions. The motor/cooling technology is significantly different then the previous Q. It is simply a continuation in more advanced design that happens over a period of time :).

How can that be..? I thought the Q was the best and now its even better. :)

it's bester right now...

In a few yrs, it will be bestest.

I too own a pre-09 Q driver. I have no idea what options were included, but I know it doesn't have the drilled compression plug because I reconed it with new parts. Had this bad boy in a sealed box for a long time and it tore it up with great SQ while being loud at the same time. been throwing 1400+ with my mmats d300hc this whole time and it handles it well. After a while I put it in a ported box build to specs for an RE sx. 15 3 cubes tuned to 34 hz and the punch and SQ was amazing. Great product, glad the new recones improved it the way it did.

I had the privilege of hearing a new Q along with Swift's SP4s quite a few times.

And we've all seen the Q vs BL threads..

And no disrespect to the redundancy answers given to those threads = BL....

But, I have to publicly say this to express my audible opinion.

I have always been an SPL guy.

I'm no where near the best at burping in competition but i've always liked it loud.

I never wanted to jump into SQ because SQ is many times more complicated than SPL is.

But, after hearing the Q and SP4.. i'm dumbfounded.

The Q is basically the son of the SP4.

Insanely quality sounding drivers at a level unknown to those who haven't experienced it.

We all have that feeling of, we like it loud but if it sounds perfect.. Then it's heaven..

I'm telling anyone, the Q or SP4 isshould be the foundation of what represents the Fi name because after hearing them, it almost makes one rethink their audio goals for any type of installation.

When I heard the Q recently, it was reproducing frequency peaks in music in the low to mid 20Hz range!

Now, how many drivers specifically excel in that range? Not many.....

And I listen to it with such perfection. In the perfect sized enclosure tuned below 30hz, it is just what i needed to hear.

But back on topic.... I'm surprised the original Qs were only ~30lbs compared to now.

That's like night and day difference there.