Sign in to follow this  
12compass

dcon 12 enclosure design specific to my vehicle

by using the re audio box calculator and attempting to account for the displacement of the sub listed on the ssa site ive come up with these specs i would like thoughts please and thank you im going for a mix of rap country and rock on probably 400 rms i figure once i get my components my midbasses would be mainly responsible for the kick is that correct where as if that is the case i would like for the sub to go low and hit the deep bass

my available area is w38in h 15.5 in d 18.5 in

the re box calculator says 36.5x12x13.5 with .75 for mdf would give 2.249 ft3^

that is with the ssa listed sub displacement of .14 included

it also shows port height 10.5 width 1.5 length 1 11.25 length 2 5in

for a port tuning of 28.18

sound about right?

this is my first time attempting to build a box still on the fence about building myself after seeing the plexiglass in box idea in a build thread i think i really would like that

sorry my first attempt at sketch and i cant remember his name but i took the plexi idea from his project thread sketch i think the viewing window idea is cool he was doing a build using passive radiators and got to u ssa i think GCON renderings in his sketch regardless just giving credit where it is due here is my horrible first attempt

35cikd0.jpg

Lol. It's not that bad. I've seen much worse.

It's an XCON actually that I'm using though. :D

I ran ur numbers real quick and tho you did include the driver displacement the RE calc does not figure for port displacent either. Although your tuning will probably still be pretty close. I would build it and see how it goes if I were you. Also, nice choice on the sub. My sisters DCON is quite the amazing little sub.

Be sure to really take ur time if u do go with the plexiglas. If its not done just right it will leak and the enclosure will not sound good.

the calc lists port displacement 314.8125 and yea from the info ive read i think i deffinitley will be i just hope its not to hard to include that plexiglass viewing window and where abouts is monroe indiana im from wayne township this will be my first box build im thinking the port and plexiglass may be biting off a bit more than i can chew.

this box wont require any true bracing correct just the silicone to seal the seams and screws? and is 3/4 mdf over kill for my application

the most important thing i was worried about the dimensions ive used are acceptable right there isnt like a suggest wxhxd ratio or anything?

There does exist an actual "golden" ratio, but it's not practical for use in the car audio world in most cases. Believe me what you have lined up is just fine.

Monroe City is about an hour North of Evansville or an hour South of Terre Haute. It's a little spot on the road just outside of Vincennes. If you were close enough I'd be more than glad to help out however I could.

Using plexiglas in an enclosure is typically done by guys with a little more experience, but I think anyone with build experience and a good eye for details could do it. Hell the first time I used plexiglas in an enclosure was on the box for the Fi Q's in my wife's van.

well good then ive gotten off to an ok start numbers wise is tuning to 28 hz going to give me the lows i want? and was i correct in assuming as said in op that my components mids will provide the kick so that way my sub doesnt have to sounds as punchy?

and i have no expierence at all so i will probably forego the plexi unless i pay someone to build it im not even sure i can build the box myself on account of i only own a drill

and yea thanks for the offer its a shame i moved to florida years back i miss marion county and indianapolis